Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to believe in him, but weve been down this road before. Lets just be good on offense next year no matter what.

You know, somewhere I've moved past the "I believe in him" or "I don't believe in him" dichotomy when it comes to new coaches.

I have no idea who is good anymore. I'm not even sure if Nick Saban is a good coach anymore - Alabama is rolling so well I think Mr. Potato Head could win a few titles there.

Anyway, I figure one day one of these Tennessee coaches is going to make a real go of it here - my guess is that it will be someone we don't quite expect. I'm to the point where I just want to be entertained while all these guys try. And I think Heupel will make this entertaining...

No reason not too. Everyone should have access to vaccine that wants it by then and if you don’t get it then it’s your choice and risk. Everyone else should be allowed to return to normal.
So if I choose not to get the vaccine...I shouldn't be allowed to return to normal?

The table below shows Bill Connelly’s returning production rankings for teams on our schedule for ’21. I also included a column for where the team’s ’21 recruiting class ended up according to 247.

So both Florida and Alabama lost more of their offenses that we did. Georgia lost more of its defense that we did. Some of our losses might be considered addition by subtraction but only we might know about that. Jake Bentley transferred from Utah to South Alabama so probably a good possibility he’ll be their QB this year.

Normally we assume that returning production for Alabama is mostly irrelevant because given their level of recruiting they just reload. Well, I went back and checked Heupel’s performance given his returning production. In 2016 his offensive returning production at MO was ranked #71 and he was projected to increase their scoring by 0.6 points per game. He actually increased their scoring 17.8 points per game in 2016. In 2017 MO’s offensive returning production was ranked at #10 with a projected scoring increase of 3.2 points per game. The offense actually increased its scoring production by 6.1 points per game.

In 2018 he inherited the UCF team with an offensive returning production rank of #50 and put up 43.2 points per game. In 2019 his returning production numbers for the offense fell to a ranking of #96 but there was no drop off in scoring output, finishing at 43.4 points per game for the year. In 2020 his offensive returning production was ranked #38 and he finished the year with a scoring average of 42.2 points per game.

I think it’s fair to expect we’re going to score a lot more points this year than in the recent past. We may score a lot of them against Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, Bowling Green, etc., but we’re almost certainly going to be scoring points.

On defense I think our real losses are Bryce and HT. Fill those holes and I think we’re good. I wanted faster edge rushers than Bennett and Johnson for what seems like forever. We have them; we just need to get them ready. I think our backend should be good, obviously more experience overall, and our front four should be the strength of the defense in my view, which in our new scheme is what I think we need. We need to figure out the LBs and our D should be good. jmo.

So we have a huge upgrade at QB and hyped talent in the WR corp. I don’t think we have to worry about the offensive line. Heupel has proved he knows how to protect the QB and to get his RBs past the LOS. We have to see which guys emerge as ball carriers and who and how we use the TE position. Heupel used the TE position more at MO (both years) and his first year at UCF than he has the past couple years at UCF. It probably has a lot to do with who you have at TE. Regardless of TE availability , it hasn’t slowed down his offense. jmo.

View attachment 355707
Oof! If Pruitt was returning, I'd be completely checked out (though our returning numbers would be a bit better). With Coach Hype, no worries.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
If you had to choose between being at 35% capacity for the ‘21 season or being at full capacity but there is a requirement to show proof of vaccination (somehow) before you can enter the stadium, which would you pick?
Football? Yes.

If you had to choose between being at 35% capacity for the ‘21 season or being at full capacity but there is a requirement to show proof of vaccination (somehow) before you can enter the stadium, which would you pick?
Already had Covid and already been vaccinated...so I don't care...fill it up.

knowledge?
I'm assuming he meant how much you know about the game..I know the one real strength that Tiger high had that game was a SEC quality DL...so our stupid coaching staff thought it would be a good plan to run the ball 49-50 times for something like 85 yards iirc.

Cleat colors? As long as they aren’t the Adidas feet killing cleats...

DCJW! If they win, do you really care if their cleat colors don’t match the uniform?
It always make me chuckle when grown men start debating what color schemes their favorite gladiators should wear to battle. Wonder if the Romans argued over such things. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reactions: TennacJed
I want to believe in him, but weve been down this road before. Lets just be good on offense next year no matter what.

You know I'm actually a bit surprised. I took about 3 weeks off from posting because I had some other stuff going on but my initial assessment those weeks ago wasn't that optimistic but I do try to be fair. What surprises me is when I point out things that are obvious like never beating UK or SC while at MO or a number of other observations that I think should be considered or that we should be mindful of, there's not the usual knee jerk rally around the coach push back.

I actually think the guy has a fair shot at doing something here. I mean I can see how it can work. I can also see us falling to a 50-year low in recruiting but I think we have a better shot at beating Alabama this year than that happening. The returning production numbers I posted earlier today, an annual rite for me, don't look good for us at all. In fact they're horrible. They say we will have a green team this year. That may be the case but Heupel has dealt with green teams before. He's not Pruitt and he's not Chaney. I think he's got a shot and he's done it before. We may end up following the usual pattern for low experienced teams but there's evidence that suggests with Heupel, that's not written in stone. jmo.

One of the things about Heupel is he almost always seems to have a QB. From molding a 3-star Bradford in to a Heisman winner to Landry Jones (who rivals lists as having Heupel as his lead recruiter) to Trevor Knight who Heupel was able to beat Alabama with before Knight got him fired, to Chuckie Keaton, to Drew Lock, to etc., etc. - Dan Mullen had Kyle Trask riding the bench until he lost his starter and he is supposed to be a QB whisperer. I think Josh probably has a better claim. Even Knight after going on to A&M beat our 2016 team. Knight got beat out at OU by Baker Mayfield. I think Knight had some issues that couldn't be solved but he did beat Saban and he beat us in Norman in 2014 with Heupel calling the plays. I am better than 80% confident we will have a real QB this year and that is something we have not had in a seemingly long time. jmo.

In year one especially I think there are all kinds of things that can go wrong and it's highly likely that some of them will but there's a path, laden with mines, that could lead to some pleasant surprises on the year. I think to stop Heupel's offense you stop the run. I have no doubt he knows that. In I think Clemson's last championship win over Saban, Dabo sold out to stop Alabama's run game and they did that well enough that even with Tua at QB for Saban, Clemson embarrassed them in front of the entire world. I'm not apathetic anymore with regards to our new staff; I'm becoming increasingly interested in seeing what they can do. I don't think I'm under any illusions but I'm also not convinced it's going to take as much time as maybe some others might think for us to start making some noise. It may and maybe rightfully should but I'm not certain that's inevitable. jmo.

The thing to watch closest I think is how does our team shape up in terms of mindset/attitude. We should have been 10-3 as a minimum in 2019 and should have improved last year. Those things didn't happen because of a failure in leadership for our program. The whole football world keeps waiting for us to live up to expectations and we haven't yet. They say that we've recruited well enough so what's the deal? We were ranked to start the 2020 season and rightfully so but the guys quit giving that extra bit of effort that divides the winners from the losers and that was I think due to the dysfunctional staff. Let's see if we've fixed that. I think maybe we have. Now let's let our guys go play and quit threatening to replace them every time they make a mistake. Let's go have some fun. jmo.

You know, somewhere I've moved past the "I believe in him" or "I don't believe in him" dichotomy when it comes to new coaches.

I have no idea who is good anymore. I'm not even sure if Nick Saban is a good coach anymore - Alabama is rolling so well I think Mr. Potato Head could win a few titles there.

Anyway, I figure one day one of these Tennessee coaches is going to make a real go of it here - my guess is that it will be someone we don't quite expect. I'm to the point where I just want to be entertained while all these guys try. And I think Heupel will make this entertaining...
I get what youre saying, CFB is becoming more and more about the jimmies and joes than X's and O's. But there has to be a little but at least coaching wise that has a major effect on game plans. Ex.. Pruitts definition of offense. It was bad offense was bad. We will see about JH

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back