Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
While waiting on the Spring roster to be posted I took a stab at trying to figure out what our personnel might look like on the defensive side of the ball. From what I could gather from comments at the end of last year from Pruitt and I assume speculation from Vol Recruiting I’m guessing we have a number of guys returning as 5th year seniors. In general if I’m in the ball park with these groupings I think we could probably use a couple more linebackers, you know, like if anyone knew of a couple blue chip guys that might be available. Still, since I’m figuring we’re going to be scheming out of a 4-2-5 and occasionally, maybe 3-3-5, we may not need as many linebackers as we might for a 3-4 base.

I think the strength of the defense will be Garner’s group and he has some guys to work with. I was thinking the guys we’ve recruited to be outside linebackers may in some cases move back to WDE or SDE but if we do we may not have a lot left in the linebacking room. I moved Kenny Solomon back to CB from WR so that may not be where he ends up. I started to move Beasley back to safety but taking anything out of the linebacking room seems a bit precarious for me. Maybe we get Marley to put on a bit of weight just in case. I don’t know.

I created a table to show defensive interceptions. The orange highlight is when Martinez was with us before, the years for Heupel at UCF are shaded, as are the years for Banks at Penn State. The SEC line is for SEC best that year and is provided for reference.

View attachment 355451

I also created a table to show a comparison for defensive sacks. The highlights are the same and the SEC best for that year is provided for reference.

View attachment 355453

I suspect with our new defense we'll get back to a respectable number of interceptions but the big jump in performance by our defense may come in the form of a more effective pass rush and a higher number of sacks. jmo.

Here is my stab at what the defensive position groups may look like:

View attachment 355467

View attachment 355468

View attachment 355469
Charlie Garner a defensive guy now?

While waiting on the Spring roster to be posted I took a stab at trying to figure out what our personnel might look like on the defensive side of the ball. From what I could gather from comments at the end of last year from Pruitt and I assume speculation from Vol Recruiting I’m guessing we have a number of guys returning as 5th year seniors. In general if I’m in the ball park with these groupings I think we could probably use a couple more linebackers, you know, like if anyone knew of a couple blue chip guys that might be available. Still, since I’m figuring we’re going to be scheming out of a 4-2-5 and occasionally, maybe 3-3-5, we may not need as many linebackers as we might for a 3-4 base.

I think the strength of the defense will be Garner’s group and he has some guys to work with. I was thinking the guys we’ve recruited to be outside linebackers may in some cases move back to WDE or SDE but if we do we may not have a lot left in the linebacking room. I moved Kenny Solomon back to CB from WR so that may not be where he ends up. I started to move Beasley back to safety but taking anything out of the linebacking room seems a bit precarious for me. Maybe we get Marley to put on a bit of weight just in case. I don’t know.

I created a table to show defensive interceptions. The orange highlight is when Martinez was with us before, the years for Heupel at UCF are shaded, as are the years for Banks at Penn State. The SEC line is for SEC best that year and is provided for reference.

View attachment 355451

I also created a table to show a comparison for defensive sacks. The highlights are the same and the SEC best for that year is provided for reference.

View attachment 355453

I suspect with our new defense we'll get back to a respectable number of interceptions but the big jump in performance by our defense may come in the form of a more effective pass rush and a higher number of sacks. jmo.

Here is my stab at what the defensive position groups may look like:

View attachment 355467

View attachment 355468

View attachment 355469

Do we know if we are 3-4 or 4-3? If we go 4 down lineman then Baron likely becomes DE. Joseph probably does as well but not as certain with him.

The biggest question mark and point of development for the team going into fall will absolutely be Defense... A lot of us have said from day 1 of the hire, yeah we are going to be in a much better position to score points, but we've got to hold our opponent to less... and that is going to be difficult with what we have left to work with on the D side of the ball...

Any word or discussion on finding some kids in the portal (AL LB) to help on defense?

Side note--- Man I have to say this gif says a lot... I have noticed for a few years during games and interviews that Barnes does not like Fulky and is always on his rear for just about everything... I've yet to see anything positive from Barnes to Fulk... I know there most likely is, but just haven't seen it... This is kind of embarrassing and could have been handled differently...

Reactions: Vols4us
Let 2021 be the year that BVS was vaccinated against like the Rona. Take your cups off, build your immunity, and move out of dark cave and into the beautiful sunshine. Be the one who supports the program as it is rebuilt to an even better future. Every choice and action taken has been deeply analyzed, vetted, and executed by hiring the best available and allowing them to do likewise from Randy and Donde down the chain.

It may or may not be a grind or a slog - none of us know at this stage. It probably cannot go worse than the endings of the last 5 head coaching tenures we have endured over the past 15 years. As for me and my house, we choose this day to be sunshine pumpers and get heuped!

Side note--- Man I have to say this gif says a lot... I have noticed for a few years during games and interviews that Barnes does not like Fulky and is always on his rear for just about everything... I've yet to see anything positive from Barnes to Fulk... I know there most likely is, but just haven't seen it... This is kind of embarrassing and could have been handled differently...

Then he should play Olivier Nkamhoua more.

I usually don't feel too comfortable sharing personal information online and such but I spend a lot of time on here.

My grandfather passed away today. I've had great grandparents pass when I was a kid and teen. But this is an indescribable pain at the moment. He was my papaw. But growing up without a dad he also stepped up in that role so much throughout my life. It hurts because he was only 63, I never thought this would happen anytime this soon. He never got to see me marry or have a kid of my own, I have a lot of regrets but deep down I know he wouldn't want me feeling guilty about anything. He would want me to live. That's what I plan on doing.

Oh by the way, BIG ORANGE FAN UNTIL THE VERY END. He always joked he wanted to be put in the body farm in Knoxville. But hes being buried with a beautiful power T. This is why no matter the state of the program, I'll never give up on UT. It was one of things I bonded with my papaw the most.
So sorry for you losing your papaw. It's so difficult. Sounds like you're doing the right thing by remembering all the good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back