Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday
Sep. 4Bowling Green FalconsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 11Pitt PanthersNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 18Tennessee Tech Golden EaglesNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 25at Florida GatorsBen Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 2at Missouri TigersFaurot Field, Columbia, MOTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 9South Carolina GamecocksNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 16Ole Miss RebelsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 23at Alabama Crimson TideBryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, ALTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 30OFFSaturday
Nov. 6at Kentucky WildcatsKroger Field, Lexington, KYTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 13Georgia BulldogsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 20South Alabama JaguarsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 27Vanderbilt CommodoresNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBA

Think you have to tier these:
Likely W's - Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama
50/50 leaning W - South Carolina, Vanderbilt
50/50 leaning L - Pitt, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Kentucky
Likely L's - Florida, Alabama, Georgia

Pitt is too early in the season to call one way or another. I'd think we'd still be gelling but it would be a helluva win early.
@ Missouri is asking a lot, but maybe Heupel gets the team up for a former employer.
South Carolina features a new coach as well, the game is at home, likely a bounce-back spot. Maybe our offense is clicking by then.
Ole Miss is at home, and will likely be a raucous crowd if we're filling it up, but Kiffin has a big head start on Heupel in a lot of ways. I do not envy our defense on this day.
@ Kentucky is also asking a lot, and they are a steady program now. Would be a tall task to outperform them on the road late in the season when attrition is catching up to us.
Vanderbilt is a huge game for both coaches, but I think we have the edge. Chance to end the season on a high note.

It bodes well for us that so many split games are at home.

I could see 5-7 with 6-6 as a manageable stretch goal. I think we have 3 wins coming out of the bye with Kentucky, Georgia, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt left to get to bowl eligibility. You just have to wonder if attrition, injuries, or attitude are an issue. You also have to think our defense is wrecked by then. Can we score 150+ points in the month of November?
I’m going to go with 7-5...... I think we will be better than people think.

Saturday
Sep. 4Bowling Green FalconsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 18Tennessee Tech Golden EaglesNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 25at Florida GatorsBen Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 9South Carolina GamecocksNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 23at Alabama Crimson TideBryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, ALTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 30OFFSaturday
Nov. 20South Alabama JaguarsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday

Pitt is too early in the season to call one way or another. I'd think we'd still be gelling but it would be a helluva win early.
@ Missouri is asking a lot, but maybe Heupel gets the team up for a former employer.
South Carolina features a new coach as well, the game is at home, likely a bounce-back spot. Maybe our offense is clicking by then.
Ole Miss is at home, and will likely be a raucous crowd if we're filling it up, but Kiffin has a big head start on Heupel in a lot of ways. I do not envy our defense on this day.
@ Kentucky is also asking a lot, and they are a steady program now. Would be a tall task to outperform them on the road late in the season when attrition is catching up to us.
Vanderbilt is a huge game for both coaches, but I think we have the edge. Chance to end the season on a high note.

I could see 5-7 with 6-6 as a manageable stretch goal. I think we have 3 wins coming out of the bye with Kentucky, Georgia, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt left to get to bowl eligibility. You just have to wonder if attrition, injuries, or attitude are an issue. You also have to think our defense is wrecked by then. Can we score 150+ points in the month of November?
9-3

Saturday
Oct. 30OFFSaturday

15-0

I think we are going 4-8. If we get to 6-6 I'll be very impressed. I expect us to be very inconsistent and have a few bad losses while having a couple games where we get close to knocking off a good team.

Wins vs TTU, Vandy, South Alabama, and Bowling Green. South Carolina is also winnable.
Just stop.

Agree to some degree. We were solid from 1999-2004 without Cut. 2005 was bad and we definitely got better when he was back in 2006-07. 1999 was a big disappointment as it was probably the most talented team we had, but we laid an egg at Florida (yes, I know). After Tee left, 2000 was a bit of a struggle until Casey got some play. He was a fantastic recruiter. We had awesome talent until the end and I do believe his complacency and too much loyalty to the staff got him fired. That, and Mike Hamilton was the worst AD we have ever had.
Agreed somewhat lol. Started trending down when Cut first left, we just had enough leftover talent and culture to make up for it. If he hadn't been stubborn and made good OC hires, and had he not gotten lazy, we likely would have been good for years to come.

Pitt fans arguing over whether Banks took a lateral move to come to Tennessee:

At that point some poster showed up that they identified as a Penn State Troll and they started attacking him and enabler U with reminders of Sandusky and boys in showers. I left at that point. Gawd how Pitt fans must have loved watching the VolNation uprising back in 2017.
I love Oregon fans and have a soft spot for them. I may have a soft spot for Pitt fans now too. I like the respect they are giving us. I’m glad many still know this program is a top program. If only we weren’t run so poorly. Hopefully, that is fixed and getting better and we can return to prominence.

Fulmer won with Cut as well as great recruiting when recruiting was not as big of deal as it is now. He stockpiled talent and had a great sales pitch/method in the home with the families. He won in the living room and kitchen. The winning at a high level continued after Cut first left because the system was already built and the talent was there to keep it going. Over time everybody else caught up in recruiting. The system never changed enough to challenge opponents. So, the program went into a tailspin. Cut comes back to right the ship. Cut then leaves again for the Duke job. Chavis was Chavis throughout and never kept up with the changes occurring with offenses. The D could no longer save Fulmer. Finished.

Hamilton was not a football guy like Dickey. He was a facilities and fund raising guy - more of a business guy. A knowledgeable sports or football guy at AD would have delivered better choices for the football program. Once the program headed downhill, it snowballed with incompetence from the top of UT to the bottom. Hopefully that ended earlier this year.
much better explanation than mine lol

Seems pretty levelheaded. Gonna be a while to climb out of this stuff
Lol. No pretty dumb to say 4-8. If we go 4-8, JH isn’t the guy. We have enough talent to easily make a bowl. I think 6-7 win range is what should be about right. No one is very good but three teams.

Lol. No pretty dumb to say 4-8. If we go 4-8, JH isn’t the guy. We have enough talent to easily make a bowl. I think 6-7 win range is what should be about right. No one is very good but three teams.
Our defense is fecal matter. No one at LB, safety play has been awful, and little depth at CB. DLine is ok. Gotta hope we can work the transfer market after spring practice

I think we are going 4-8. If we get to 6-6 I'll be very impressed. I expect us to be very inconsistent and have a few bad losses while having a couple games where we get close to knocking off a good team.

Wins vs TTU, Vandy, South Alabama, and Bowling Green. South Carolina is also winnable.

Overestimating Pitt.

Overestimating Mizzou. I like Bazelak but it’s not like they’re an auto L.

UK also very winnable. Their O always sucks.

Ole Miss game could be fun. Their D was so so so so so so so so so so so so bad last year.

No reason to think Pitt is leaning L. Should be leaning W.

And no reason to have Vandy as leaning W. Should be in your first W category.

Def not scared of Mizzou or Ole Miss.
i think Mizzou and Ole Miss will eat our defenses lunch., tough match ups in both cases for our defense. now if they go, especially ole miss, and have a turnover fest...by all means....

6-6, 2-6. 7-5, 3-5 if we can find a way to beat Kentucky, Mizzou or Ole miss.

I have no idea what to expect tbh. With all the transfers and questions about how long it will take to implement the new system. I do think the 2020 team would have gone 7-5 against this schedule. They'd have beaten all the OOC, Vandy, SC, and Missouri and that seems doable for 2021 but certainly not a given. The only games that seem truly out of reach are UGA, UF, and Bama. I think Kentucky and OM are likely losses as well.

If Heupel gets one of the QBs playing lights out though all bets are off.
I’d bet the uk game is closer than the mizzou game... I feel like people think oh it’s mizzou we should win, but they improved over the year last year and now it’s year 2.. I’ve also heard josh Pate say and I think there is validity to it: that if all you did was switch the helmets on the Pitt and UT game people would pick pitt to win, so that game may not be a slam dunk either..

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back