Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you wouldn't, they really don't heal. Well, they heal just not they way they were beforehand. Your Achilles tendon is about the size of your pinky finger. After surgery and healing it's about the size of your thumb. When they stitch it back together the doctor told me the suture was similar to blind cord. It never flexes like it did before. Before I tore it I could take off from the free-throw line and 360 windmill dunk. Now I'm lucky just to pass it under my leg before throwing it down. (The last part may or may not be true.)
1614729602450.gif

Hey guys - I’m back. I used to post under the name “vol2002.” I burned out and quit after the Georgia State debacle in 2019.

The Heupel hire got me intrigued so I joined again: he and this coaching staff are a home run relative to my incredibly low expectations. I figured if that last search landed us Pruitt than this one with all the NCAA stuff would be a complete disaster.

I don’t know if Heupel will lead us to glory (I’m not sure anyone can), but I think he can make us stable and entertaining, which has become my baseline hope for Vol football.

Look forward to watching Heupel’s journey with all of you!

Hey guys - I’m back. I used to post under the name “vol2002.” I burned out and quit after the Georgia State debacle in 2019.

The Heupel hire got me intrigued so I joined again: he and this coaching staff are a home run relative to my incredibly low expectations. I figured if that last search landed us Pruitt than this one with all the NCAA stuff would be a complete disaster.

I don’t know if Heupel will lead us to glory (I’m not sure anyone can), but I think he can make us stable and entertaining, which has become my baseline hope for Vol football.

Look forward to watching Heupel’s journey with all of you!
Welcome back to the fold. I’ve learned since that game that if you never take your cup off, you’ll never get caught by surprise.

This feels too optimistic for a Y1 UT HC, given our history, but man this schedule just doesn't concern me. 4-0 OOC should be very doable. USCe and Vandy are worse and also starting over. Ole Miss worries me a bit, but not more than being 50/50. Same with UK and Mizzou to a lesser degree.

View attachment 355137

View attachment 355135

I’ve learned to set my expectations, then dock about 2-3 wins and that’s usually where we land.

I think (hope!) that will change over time but with so much roster turnover plus installing a completely new offense I’m not sure it can this fall. My heart says we can hit 8-4 if things break our way, but my head (and the last ~12 years) tell me 5-7 or 6-6.

I think it will be a lot more fun to watch though! And part of me thinks we could put a surprise into either Florida or Georgia, the way the schedule sets up. That may be my heart talking though...

I would have rather torn mine. At least it can heal. Still have tendinitis 6 years later and I had to give up running in the process.

Oh well, it forced me to weight training and now I’m jacked underneath all this flab.

Have you tried the Alfredson Heel Drop protocol? It's not fun but worth a shot if traditional therapy has been ineffective. Have worked with several aging runners who've had success with it.

Heavy-load eccentric calf muscle training for the treatment of chronic Achilles tendinosis - PubMed

Eccentric Exercise for Achilles Tendinopathy: A Narrative Review and Clinical Decision-Making Considerations - PubMed

Reactions: HalfullVol
I haven’t commented in a while but I’ve been checking in from time to time to get the latest from you guys. Thanks.

Since we’re seemingly moving back to a focus on recruiting I thought I’d put together a look-back study of how conference teams have recruited over the past 16 years with the seemingly endless changes in the man at the program helms. I used the average recruit rating for classes which I think minimizes the illusion in the rankings caused by the variations in the number of recruits taken by a school in any given cycle relative to all other schools. I used Rivals because I think they’re the longest running service and likely have the best historical data.

If the coach’s name is shaded in pink that means his class that year was below the 16 year average for that school and if his name is shaded in green then his class was above the look-back average.

The years are sorted on that year’s averages in the conference and a look across the years suggests that more talent in flowing into the SEC in these latter years than was the case at the beginning of the 16 year period.

I started with 2006 because that was the last B.S. year (Before Saban).

This is not about attrition or current roster talent; it’s about the relative recruiting success on an average recruit basis by the various staffs over the years as seen by Rivals.

I looked at UCF and from what I could see Heupel’s 2020 class was the best class the Knights had brought in since 2011, from an average recruit basis. That could suggest that once we get past the transition trough recruiting might have a good shot at being above average for us. Getting above average and staying there means we should be steadily improving. One request I would make is that if we get on that track but don’t go undefeated with the first freshmen and sophomore classes, please don’t blow everything up this time. jmo.

ScreenHunter 663.png

ScreenHunter 664.png

ScreenHunter 667.png

This feels too optimistic for a Y1 UT HC, given our history, but man this schedule just doesn't concern me. 4-0 OOC should be very doable. USCe and Vandy are worse and also starting over. Ole Miss worries me a bit, but not more than being 50/50. Same with UK and Mizzou to a lesser degree.

View attachment 355137

View attachment 355135
Where did you find the win % probability number? I’m skeptical of usce and @Mizzou being the same probability.. Mizzou improved greatly over last year and has a now sophomore qb with almost a season of experience coming back. Also, don’t think ole miss is 50/50 but I would only differ slightly on that.

Reactions: UTfan94
I haven’t commented in a while but I’ve been checking in from time to time to get the latest from you guys. Thanks.

Since we’re seemingly moving back to a focus on recruiting I thought I’d put together a look-back study of how conference teams have recruited over the past 16 years with the seemingly endless changes in the man at the program helms. I used the average recruit rating for classes which I think minimizes the illusion in the rankings caused by the variations in the number of recruits taken by a school in any given cycle relative to all other schools. I used Rivals because I think they’re the longest running service and likely have the best historical data.

If the coach’s name is shaded in pink that means his class that year was below the 16 year average for that school and if his name is shaded in green then his class was above the look-back average.

The years are sorted on that year’s averages in the conference and a look across the years suggests that more talent in flowing into the SEC in these latter years than was the case at the beginning of the 16 year period.

I started with 2006 because that was the last B.S. year (Before Saban).

This is not about attrition or current roster talent; it’s about the relative recruiting success on an average recruit basis by the various staffs over the years as seen by Rivals.

I looked at UCF and from what I could see Heupel’s 2020 class was the best class the Knights had brought in since 2011, from an average recruit basis. That could suggest that once we get past the transition trough recruiting might have a good shot at being above average for us. Getting above average and staying there means we should be steadily improving. One request I would make is that if we get on that track but don’t go undefeated with the first freshmen and sophomore classes, please don’t blow everything up this time. jmo.

View attachment 355143

View attachment 355144

View attachment 355145
B3C678FF-5B50-4F5E-A94C-973417471782.gif

Good points but a few things need to be mentioned. One, TN isn’t even close to averaging 40 ppg. I think it’s going to be tough to average 49 this year. Next is the massive difference in competition level. Bama shreds the best of the best in the country with ease. UCF shredded lower tier teams for the most part.

This is by no means a knock on Heupel. It’s just some perspective to keep in mind.
Some more perspective, JG ain't even on the rotation anymore, Ty (give me that ball I fall down) Chandler ain't here. Got hungry RB'S waiting to explode on ya and some real good QB depth not seen a long time. The WR'S are looking to shine this year, OL ready to prove. Only thing lacking is TE depth, we got Warren and Fant, not much after that. I am optimistic about the new wave Offense Coach Heup is bringing.

I’ve learned to set my expectations, then dock about 2-3 wins and that’s usually where we land.

I think (hope!) that will change over time but with so much roster turnover plus installing a completely new offense I’m not sure it can this fall. My heart says we can hit 8-4 if things break our way, but my head (and the last ~12 years) tell me 5-7 or 6-6.

I think it will be a lot more fun to watch though! And part of me thinks we could put a surprise into either Florida or Georgia, the way the schedule sets up. That may be my heart talking though...
Haha yeah. That would be a strategy endorsed by ESPN's FPI. They tend to be on the low end for us (barring 2016) and yet every season they pretty much nail us or even overshoot. I bet they say 5.5 or 6 wins this season.

But for once I feel we are being underestimated. An elite OC with a high ceiling QB can change a lot. This is a simple offense and pretty easy to implement (plug-and-play from here on out). And we still have solid talent on D. People will sleep on us and we will take advantage of that.

Have you tried the Alfredson Heel Drop protocol? It's not fun but worth a shot if traditional therapy has been ineffective. Have worked with several aging runners who've had success with it.

Heavy-load eccentric calf muscle training for the treatment of chronic Achilles tendinosis - PubMed

Eccentric Exercise for Achilles Tendinopathy: A Narrative Review and Clinical Decision-Making Considerations - PubMed
I tried something similar in PT. I couldn’t find it if it mentioned it, but did they specify the number of reps daily?

Reactions: The Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back