Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

I LOVE this stuff.
And I love seeing the HEAD COACH in the gym pushing the guys!!!

tenor.gif

Good idea connecting with parents. Kids can get emotional and you need parents on your side in the transfer portal era. They need to feel comfortable pushing back on their son to be patient. You can see in case if Henry T what parent not being on your side can do. Having an outspoken one like Hyatt on your side can help round up the others. Also helps his kid is likely a star next yr and his other kid has star written all over him.

Nice anecdote, thanks for sharing.

Sometimes I've noticed, more and more lately with new faces entering this thread that people take fact/stat sharing as arguing points. Often in arguments we tend to move the target, most people try to turn everything into a "in my shoes" style of debate. It's natural that happens, since it's not always easy to relate to topics with no former experience.

But the numbers I shared were simply shared to point out that HS football players getting full ride D1 offers happen at a lower % than kids with 1400+ SATs. So if you want to be more selective with handing out scholarships you'd hand them out to the group that has a lower % of people in it. If you then look into the return on investment it's no longer even worth a debate. Even if just a small portion of the players you've had on scholarship make it to the pros you've gotten back millions from the related revenue generated from attendance/viewership to their games. We already know that if they weren't making money, they wouldn't be giving out the scholarships. At the JuCo level most those kids are paying their own way or taking out loans for this very reason. Very few JuCo programs have the revenue to fully support their student athletes past equipment, attire, and medical expenses.

My anecdote was to illustrate my view. I can agree with both of your arguments/opinions. I can also disagree with both sides. Kinda the cool thing about opinions.

Most of life is a bit of both sides.
Only a few absolutes:
1. Human life is individually finite.
2. If you are human and alive past your 50th birthday, 100% incidence of arthritic changes in your spine.
3. 100% incidence of prostate cancer if you reach 90. 100% incidence of uterine cancer by age 90. (Obviously not if it was removed) Doesn’t mean that it is cause of death...just 100% present by age 90. ( I look at it as a life time clock to prevent a world full of Methuselahs) 🤔

My anecdote was to illustrate my view. I can agree with both of your arguments/opinions. I can also disagree with both sides. Kinda the cool thing about opinions.

Most of life is a bit of both sides.
Only a few absolutes:
1. Human life is individually finite.
2. If you are human and alive past your 50th birthday, 100% incidence of arthritic changes in your spine.
3. 100% incidence of prostate cancer if you reach 90. 100% incidence of uterine cancer by age 90. (Obviously not if it was removed) Doesn’t mean that it is cause of death...just 100% present by age 90. ( I look at it as a life time clock to prevent a world full of Methuselahs) 🤔

Dang doc. I’ve got one foot in the grave it appears. Oh well, depart from the body and be present with the Lord.

Good idea connecting with parents. Kids can get emotional and you need parents on your side in the transfer portal era. They need to feel comfortable pushing back on their son to be patient. You can see in case if Henry T what parent not being on your side can do. Having an outspoken one like Hyatt on your side can help round up the others. Also helps his kid is likely a star next yr and his other kid has star written all over him.
Agree & will also add that since (I assume) Heupel didn't necessarily recruit most of the guys currently on the team, the parents haven't had a chance to get to know him. Obviously, on-field results are what matter the most, but, so far, I've been really impressed with everything current staff is doing!
Fingers+Crossed+Neon+Sign.jpg

Nice anecdote, thanks for sharing.

Sometimes I've noticed, more and more lately with new faces entering this thread that people take fact/stat sharing as arguing points. Often in arguments we tend to move the target, most people try to turn everything into a "in my shoes" style of debate. It's natural that happens, since it's not always easy to relate to topics with no former experience.

But the numbers I shared were simply shared to point out that HS football players getting full ride D1 offers happen at a lower % than kids with 1400+ SATs. So if you want to be more selective with handing out scholarships you'd hand them out to the group that has a lower % of people in it. If you then look into the return on investment it's no longer even worth a debate. Even if just a small portion of the players you've had on scholarship make it to the pros you've gotten back millions from the related revenue generated from attendance/viewership to their games. We already know that if they weren't making money, they wouldn't be giving out the scholarships. At the JuCo level most those kids are paying their own way or taking out loans for this very reason. Very few JuCo programs have the revenue to fully support their student athletes past equipment, attire, and medical expenses.
My point was not about money generated by an athlete vs student it was about actual impact in everyday life by a Dr, researcher, engineer etc. in general over that of a football player. Yes some of the football players may very well go on to become many of the professionals mentioned above but a larger percentage will not.

My question was posed originally about the practice of paying a athlete and or their parents ( money, job, housing) for them to attend a University vs that of a student coming to school in these other fields. I realize it is about money but sometimes it is nice to think beyond the dollar and look at it from a different position. If a kids has aspirations of reaching lofty goals that potentially could benefit the masses were recruited with the same fervor what would it look like. And as you pointed out , some people are educated way beyond their intelligence, it is apparent everyday.

My point was not about money generated by an athlete vs student it was about actual impact in everyday life by a Dr, researcher, engineer etc. in general over that of a football player. Yes some of the football players may very well go on to become many of the professionals mentioned above but a larger percentage will not.

My question was posed originally about the practice of paying a athlete and or their parents ( money, job, housing) for them to attend a University vs that of a student coming to school in these other fields. I realize it is about money but sometimes it is nice to think beyond the dollar and look at it from a different position. If a kids has aspirations of reaching lofty goals that potentially could benefit the masses were recruited with the same fervor what would it look like.

I get where you're coming from, strong believer that student athletes (at least for the major two sports programs at the P5 level) are getting plenty. The whole "going to bed hungry" and similar nonsense has never set right with me.

But I will also point out that those athletes don't just play some ball and that's the end of it. It's obvious those that go pro make sizable contributions to the universities they attend as well as communities they came from through donations and charities. But even the athletes that don't go pro and just take advantage of the free education aren't drains on society as it's often painted (not saying you're painting this picture either). I've worked with quite a few VFLs in my industry (engineering) they have great careers and are still very active with donating to their communities and the university.

I guess my point is kind of similar to what @VolsDoc81TX was saying. It takes all kinds and ya can't really make a large scale generalization over either group.

When I moved to wv from TN in mid 90s, rasslin was life up here, still is. I had no idea what it was, and when they asked me to wrestle, he’ll, I thought it was like wwf!! Lol
I wrestled one year in 9th grade, got my ass handed to me by kids that had wrestled since they were like 4 yo. Stuck with baseball like you!
This Tennessee boy was whipping kids from West Virginia and Ohio my senior year in rastlin

Good lord..... how do you get this many injuries from Golf? Can’t be.

Anyways, add another Back surgery to that list, as well as both legs being broken..... with compound fractures..... no wonder this dude was an alcoholic..... dudes going to always be hurting.
Lots of back and knee injuries associated with golf. I've had a knee surgery and two spinal fusions as a result. I've never been a Tiger fan, but I'm hoping and praying that this wasn't a result of a relapse. Nobody deserves the pain inflicted with that horrible disease.

My question was posed originally about the practice of paying a athlete and or their parents ( money, job, housing) for them to attend a University vs that of a student coming to school in these other fields. I realize it is about money but sometimes it is nice to think beyond the dollar and look at it from a different position. If a kids has aspirations of reaching lofty goals that potentially could benefit the masses were recruited with the same fervor what would it look like. And as you pointed out , some people are educated way beyond their intelligence, it is apparent everyday.
The school itself doesn’t benefit as much from students that go on to do great things.... they benefit millions from student athletes.... this issue really started to come up when coaches started getting paid insane amounts of money and the school also benefits off of a players likeness..... how much money has Tennessee made off of 16 jerseys?

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Yeah, I feel very good about our chances to retain Crouch. I think BJM, Banks, Garner, Willie, and whoever the other hire ends up being will be able to settle the minds of that side of the ball. Lots of great experience and NFL talent found/molded by this staff. They're not going to GIT shirt anyone on the roster imo, only kids that want to leave will be leaving.

The school itself doesn’t benefit as much from students that go on to do great things.... they benefit millions from student athletes.... this issue really started to come up when coaches started getting paid insane amounts of money and the school also benefits off of a players likeness..... how much money has Tennessee made off of 16 jerseys?

To argue the other side, a lot of the money generated by college athletics goes back into the athletic department to support the program, including paying all the department staff. The money received by big donor graduates can often be used at the school's discretion. Not to mention, a lot of athletic boosters were not athletes, just students. Giving scholarships to deserving intellectuals can be very beneficial to the universities, including the athletic department, in the long run too.

Fwiw I have no inside contacts.
However I do business with a Knoxville local and I’ve heard the McDonald’s bag money was given through the drive through at a local McDonald’s by random McDonald’s employees.
When I originally heard the McDonald’s bag story I figured the staff was using the bags or something. But to have this amount of cash at a local McDonald’s and trusting those employees to pass it out and stay silent about it is insanely reckless
I just don’t believe this

Joyner Lucas

Edit: Now that I watched more than 10 seconds of the clip you right

Joyner Lucas is currently making the best music if anyone in the genre. Dude us fire.

Most other rap sucks now except for when Logic, Eminem or Tech 9 drop something. I like some of the crossover guys like Dominic Fike and Blessed(not well known but listen to Sorrows if u get a chance). I also like a good bit of NF's stuff and Lil Dickey for laughs. G-Eazy has gone downhill but still like his older stuff and Hopsin still makes some good stuff. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Reactions: TheMagnificantOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back