Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the football players family let's him drop this deal. Four hours of eye surgery can't be cheap. He's lucky he's not blind and he may have problems going forward.
Their money to lose. If they have enough, they’re more apt to not throw it away. That’s what medical insurance is for...accidents and stupid decisions.

Most self-disciplined AFTER the NCAA started looking at their programs. Completely different to launch your own investigation and fire all involved parties BEFORE any public accusations.

This reason, and NCAA is destaffing, going to have to be more reliant on institutions. In my world, if I was the NCAA and had to go investigate I would be much harder.

Reactions: Kristy*
I doubt the football players family let's him drop this deal. Four hours of eye surgery can't be cheap. He's lucky he's not blind and he may have problems going forward.
Eh. I had a Fractured Orbital. (Still never to this day have I felt any pain from it...... weird) Granted it wasn’t floating it was just cracked. So, hopefully the kid makes a full recovery he is still young and Medical Operations on “Eyes” have become extremely advanced. I’m sure he will be fine.

From Athletic Daily

2. Tennessee’s decisions were mind-boggling

We haven’t talked enough about just how crazy the Tennessee situation was and still is. The Vols might have voluntarily torpedoed their program with NCAA penalties because of one bad contract extension — and might not save money from it anyway.

To recap: Athletic director Phillip Fulmer gave Jeremy Pruitt a two-year extension in September, coming off an 8-5 season, at a time when no one was banging down the door to hire Pruitt. Tennessee then had an ugly 3-7 season and faced a decision: It could have paid Pruitt $12.8 million to go away — close to the same amount South Carolina paid Muschamp. Instead, it started an internal investigation into potential NCAA violations and later fired Pruitt for cause, which nullified a buyout.

Tennessee then paid around $6 million to UCF just to buy out athletic director Danny White and head coach Josh Heupel from UCF. It seems likely Pruitt could sue Tennessee, and if the sides come to a settlement like Kansas did with former head coach David Beaty after KU tried a similar strategy, Tennessee might end up spending as much money as if it had just bought out Pruitt. And now the program is in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

Why did any of this happen? Tennessee apparently couldn’t get its boosters to buy out another coach. But this move also came at the end of the coaching carousel. Any replacement candidate Tennessee wanted would have been available in the next coaching cycle. Did they need to pull the plug on Pruitt that badly? So badly it was worth potentially crippling NCAA penalties instead of waiting another year? That NCAA cloud then turned off a number of targets to replace Pruitt.

The Athletic article is about the most pathetic bit of clickbait I've seen in a while. That narrative was thrown around initially; but once the details and severity of the violations was known, it was apparent that Plowman had no choice but to protect the school. The firings for cause were the logical first steps for the school in addressing all the legal aspects of the situation. At some point it became more of a situation of protecting the institution rather than avoiding a PR nightmare.

As we have seen, cleaning house was way overdue and we are just seeing the tip of the improvements. The penalties will hurt, but we'll be back stronger than ever. In addition, I'm not upset about players like HT leaving. We want VFLs who love being here and playing for UT. Not whiners. Those who stay are just like us, WE BLEED ORANGE!!!

Most self-disciplined AFTER the NCAA started looking at their programs. Completely different to launch your own investigation and fire all involved parties BEFORE any public accusations.
Didn’t Missouri turn themselves..... showed total transparency and got hit with unprecedented sanctions by a rogue tutor...... North Carolina did much worse and fought it and the NCAA said screw it bc everyone else was allowed to cheat..... cam newton was paid 250,000 dollars..... auburn fought it and the NCAA said screw it as long as the payment was to the dad and not directly to cam.... here is your national championship...... one thing I have learned is that the NCAA rarely does the right thing.... why do we expect them to now?

Didn’t Missouri turn themselves..... showed total transparency and got hit with unprecedented sanctions by a rogue tutor...... North Carolina did much worse and fought it and the NCAA said screw it bc everyone else was allowed to cheat..... cam newton was paid 250,000 dollars..... auburn fought it and the NCAA said screw it as long as the payment was to the dad and not directly to cam.... here is your national championship...... one thing I have learned is that the NCAA rarely does the right thing.... why do we expect them to now?
Mizzou turned themselves in years later, after the many players involved were likely gone. Their big punishment was a 1-year bowl ban, but for multiple sports (presumably those involved). Not that unprecedented.

NC's argument was the fake classes were available to all students. Institution issue rather than academic. Was there ever solid "proof" with Newton?

Yes, the NCAA is a wild-card. But we did everything by the books. If they don't show leniency, schools will never be forthcoming again. I think they'll agree with our findings, maybe tack on something small just because, and move on.

From Athletic Daily

2. Tennessee’s decisions were mind-boggling

We haven’t talked enough about just how crazy the Tennessee situation was and still is. The Vols might have voluntarily torpedoed their program with NCAA penalties because of one bad contract extension — and might not save money from it anyway.

To recap: Athletic director Phillip Fulmer gave Jeremy Pruitt a two-year extension in September, coming off an 8-5 season, at a time when no one was banging down the door to hire Pruitt. Tennessee then had an ugly 3-7 season and faced a decision: It could have paid Pruitt $12.8 million to go away — close to the same amount South Carolina paid Muschamp. Instead, it started an internal investigation into potential NCAA violations and later fired Pruitt for cause, which nullified a buyout.

Tennessee then paid around $6 million to UCF just to buy out athletic director Danny White and head coach Josh Heupel from UCF. It seems likely Pruitt could sue Tennessee, and if the sides come to a settlement like Kansas did with former head coach David Beaty after KU tried a similar strategy, Tennessee might end up spending as much money as if it had just bought out Pruitt. And now the program is in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

Why did any of this happen? Tennessee apparently couldn’t get its boosters to buy out another coach. But this move also came at the end of the coaching carousel. Any replacement candidate Tennessee wanted would have been available in the next coaching cycle. Did they need to pull the plug on Pruitt that badly? So badly it was worth potentially crippling NCAA penalties instead of waiting another year? That NCAA cloud then turned off a number of targets to replace Pruitt.

I think the bigger play was getting Fulmer out.

Pruitt needed to go but the guy who gave him power was the the most important & necessary purge.

I hate the new narrative that UT chose to do the internal investigation. If a compliance member overheard something that's part of the protocol isn't it? The entire reason you have those people in the AD is to do just what they did...

I guess hiring in a 3rd party law firm isn't typical for an internal though. I am also not sure we've put ourselves in the crosshairs, if anything the NCAA may look at it like they're off the hook. Cause other than a bowl ban or scholarship reductions what else punishment wise would they hand down? LSU Basketball seems to have far more damning evidence on them and the NCAA hasn't done ****.
The way I understood the situation, an A.D. employee overheard or witnessed improper actions and reported those to a compliance officer. That officer did not trust Pruitt or Fulmer to respond appropriately and went to Donde. Donde took the necessary steps to self report, and limit NCAA sanctions. White addressed this in his press conference. The media loves to make U.T.A.D. look like a bunch of bumbling idiots, and at times they have been. But I think it is a false narrative in this instance to state that the A.D. initiated an NCAA investigation in an attempt to avoid paying Pruitt's buyout.

Mizzou turned themselves in years later, after the many players involved were likely gone. Their big punishment was a 1-year bowl ban, but for multiple sports (presumably those involved). Not that unprecedented.

NC's argument was the fake classes were available to all students. Institution issue rather than academic. Was there ever solid "proof" with Newton?

Yes, the NCAA is a wild-card. But we did everything by the books. If they don't show leniency, schools will never be forthcoming again. I think they'll agree with our findings, maybe tack on something small just because, and move on.
The Missouri violations were committed summer of 2015 through the summer of 2016.... the NCAA opened its part of the investigation in November 2016.... Missouri had a bowl ban .... scholarship reductions...forfeit games.....shouldn’t fake classes result in ineligible players at a minimum no matter who was allowed to take them..... yes the auburn stuff was proven.

Everyone speculating on the bar fight litigation seems to be missing the point that most Plaintiffs' lawyers don't want to spend the time and effort to get empty verdicts. Suing two Okie amateur cage fighters who don't have a pot to piss in isn't going to result in a recoverable judgment even if they do convince a jury that they committed battery.

If there's going to be a claim, it will be against the bar for negligent security.
Well, that is the American way :):):). We have become a litigious society over the last decade or so. They should sue the bar owner because the bathroom was not properly outfitted for a tag team cage fight :eek::eek::eek:

giphy.gif

I haven't seen anything about Pruitt actually filing a lawsuit yet. As an attorney myself, there are two sides to the discovery of "dirt and negative articles" that can come out. If the university did its due diligence (which Plowman did), then I am guessing we have proof upon proof of Pruitt either doing or having knowledge of actions that support the exercise of the "firing for cause" clause. There are things that Jeremy Pruitt will not want out if he wants to ever be considered for future employment, notwithstanding any punishment from the NCAA.

Recruiting is non-existent because we are one month into a new coach who can only zoom with players unless they come on their own. Recruiting will turn up when this offense gets going.

Entirely too reasonable of a post. Do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back