Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gibbs is still on the team. Borque had a kid he wanted to go home to from what I recall.

Henry’s excuse is “my daddy wants me to go pway wiff Nick saban”
IS Gibbs “still on the team”? Your nomination for biggest quitter played every game last season...didn’t opt out. And Borque had the kid before he reported to campus...presumably he remembered after he met McCullers.

Everyone speculating on the bar fight litigation seems to be missing the point that most Plaintiffs' lawyers don't want to spend the time and effort to get empty verdicts. Suing two Okie amateur cage fighters who don't have a pot to piss in isn't going to result in a recoverable judgment even if they do convince a jury that they committed battery.

If there's going to be a claim, it will be against the bar for negligent security.

Yeah, I honestly think depending on cost for Spencer for the surgery (which may be on OU anyway) there may not be any claim made legally at all.

Well, to be fair statistically speaking it's more common to see 1450 or higher on the SAT than it is to make the NFL among HS students. In 2020 of the 2.2 million who took the SAT 7% (almost 145k) students scored between 1400-1600.

Football
-- High school senior players who go on to play NCAA men's football: About one in 17, or 5.8 percent.

-- NCAA senior players drafted by an NFL team: About one in 50, or 2.0 percent.

-- High school senior players eventually drafted by an NFL team: About nine in 10,000, or 0.09 percent.

Let me ask you this, in your lifetime which of the two has benefited you the most in your everyday life, a kid with a high IQ or a kid with a 5* rating?

IS Gibbs “still on the team”? Your nomination for biggest quitter played every game last season...didn’t opt out. And Borque had the kid before he reported to campus...presumably he remembered after he met McCullers.
Who cares about those guys leaving though? They’re non-factors. HT was supposed to be an all timer and now he’s quitting so he can join the evil empire. Bigger impact=Bigger Quitter

LOSER AND TRAITOR!

I'm in the middle tbh.

On one side, don't be petty and sucker punch someone for talking to your girl, but I do agree the other dude shouldn't have bashed his **** in like that. I think that first punch would have sufficed.

That was my point yesterday... It's not the fight itself I have an issue with, it's the extent of the fight that seems to be the reoccurring theme with these younger kids, they don't know when enough is enough... There was absolutely no reason for the guy in the background after slamming the kid to the side of the stall and to the floor unconscious to then keep freakin wailing on his face over and over... absolutely no reason, and that is where it gets criminal... If you are continuing to inflict blows and pain/injury to someone who is knocked out/can't or not fighting back, that is just wrong and you should have charges brought against you. The same thing with kids now wanting to kick people in the face over and over... why?
Beat their arse, then stop... walk away, you've made your point.

Let me ask you this, in your lifetime which of the two has benefited you the most in your everyday life, a kid with a high IQ or a kid with a 5* rating?

Employers pay us for what we can do. That always comes down to a talent, whether physical or mental. The high IQ will serve you for your entire life and has broad market application. The physical talents may not, and have only limited market application, although the ceiling is crazy high. If I have the choice, I take the brain.

Who cares about those guys leaving though? They’re non-factors. HT was supposed to be an all timer and now he’s quitting so he can join the evil empire. Bigger impact=Bigger Quitter

LOSER AND TRAITOR!
He gave it every bit every second he was on the field for us. Other two couldn’t conjure up a second of gumption. Different scoring systems apparently but on the Webster’s definition of quitter...Toto doesn’t qualify.

They would do the same thing for smart kids if they brought the university millions of dollars.
How does MIT and Cal Tech stay open? I know that is a far fetched question but I agree it's about money but does it ever get to a point where enough is enough? It's going to change in the not so distant future and I don't think college sports today will look anything like it's going too because of this and many other issues and I'm not so sure we will like it when it does.

That was my point yesterday... It's not the fight itself I have an issue with, it's the extent of the fight that seems to be the reoccurring theme with these younger kids, they don't know when enough is enough... There was absolutely no reason for the guy in the background after slamming the kid to the side of the stall and to the floor unconscious to then keep freakin wailing on his face over and over... absolutely no reason, and that is where it gets criminal... If you are continuing to inflict blows and pain/injury to someone who is knocked out/can't or not fighting back, that is just wrong and you should have charges brought against you. The same thing with kids now wanting to kick people in the face over and over... why?
Anybody who’s ever been in a fight knows you need to end it as quickly as possible. Otherwise YOU are on the floor if you get one punch in and try to shake your enemy’s hand.

THIS 100000000X

One thing that pisses me off the most is when someone is CLEARLY knocked out, and they continue to punch/kick to the face. I would never do that, ever, but if I saw someone first hand do it, it's over for them.

Employers pay us for what we can do. That always comes down to a talent, whether physical or mental. The high IQ will serve you for your entire life and has broad market application. The physical talents may not, and have only limited market application, although the ceiling is crazy high. If I have the choice, I take the brain.

I 'm not saying there is a right or wrong answer but we, as a society, tend to pay for the entertainment we can get in huge sums (sports, movies and music) and ignore to some extent what could benefit us all in the long run and those who can discover that benefit .

Reactions: SSVol
From Athletic Daily

2. Tennessee’s decisions were mind-boggling

We haven’t talked enough about just how crazy the Tennessee situation was and still is. The Vols might have voluntarily torpedoed their program with NCAA penalties because of one bad contract extension — and might not save money from it anyway.

To recap: Athletic director Phillip Fulmer gave Jeremy Pruitt a two-year extension in September, coming off an 8-5 season, at a time when no one was banging down the door to hire Pruitt. Tennessee then had an ugly 3-7 season and faced a decision: It could have paid Pruitt $12.8 million to go away — close to the same amount South Carolina paid Muschamp. Instead, it started an internal investigation into potential NCAA violations and later fired Pruitt for cause, which nullified a buyout.

Tennessee then paid around $6 million to UCF just to buy out athletic director Danny White and head coach Josh Heupel from UCF. It seems likely Pruitt could sue Tennessee, and if the sides come to a settlement like Kansas did with former head coach David Beaty after KU tried a similar strategy, Tennessee might end up spending as much money as if it had just bought out Pruitt. And now the program is in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

Why did any of this happen? Tennessee apparently couldn’t get its boosters to buy out another coach. But this move also came at the end of the coaching carousel. Any replacement candidate Tennessee wanted would have been available in the next coaching cycle. Did they need to pull the plug on Pruitt that badly? So badly it was worth potentially crippling NCAA penalties instead of waiting another year? That NCAA cloud then turned off a number of targets to replace Pruitt.

i

LOSER AND TRAITOR!
best advice I can offer is to prepare thine Jim's accordingly. This one time transfer rule gives all power to the 'all knowing, all powerful' 18-19 yo generation. It is total horse **** and will ruin the College game.

Why not watch NFL at that point? it will only help Bama and Clempshits to continue winning. I used to love CFB, pageantry, heart, etc.

Ive always scoffed at Pro Sports. That is changing.

THIS 100000000X

One thing that pisses me off the most is when someone is CLEARLY knocked out, and they continue to punch/kick to the face. I would never do that, ever, but if I saw someone first hand do it, it's over for them.
Have you ever seen somebody with "blind rage"? It is what everybody that thinks their bad needs to witness. These people go blank for ex amount of time and then comeback after a minute or two. Usually the quiet type that sets alone because many of those types know what they can do and it scares them and it should everybody else.

Growing up going to Waffle House was how I spent my weekly mandatory time with my dad. All these WH jokes are like a warm hug.

The first year my parents divorced, my dad planned to take my brother and me out for Thanksgiving dinner. Turns out, in our small town, Waffle House was the only open restaurant. Will forever remember my first trip to WaHo on Thanksgiving. Really enjoyed the hashbrowns that day.

How does MIT and Cal Tech stay open? I know that is a far fetched question but I agree it's about money but does it ever get to a point where enough is enough? It's going to change in the not so distant future and I don't think college sports today will look anything like it's going too because of this and many other issues and I'm not so sure we will like it when it does.
The only thing that will Change is the rich will get richer as the landscape changes...... schools make money in varying different ways but school athletics is a huge part of that..... TV contracts are insane right now.

Reactions: thistime
i

best advice I can offer is to prepare thine Jim's accordingly. This one time transfer rule gives all power to the 'all knowing, all powerful' 18-19 yo generation. It is total horse **** and will ruin the College game.

Why not watch NFL at that point? it will only help Bama and Clempshits to continue winning. I used to love CFB, pageantry, heart, etc.

Ive always scoffed at Pro Sports. That is changing.
Yeah CFB is dead. Early signing day and this one time transfer rule have basically made it impossible for programs to rise back from the dead.

On top of that the way they count scholarships makes it even more difficult. If they’re gonna do the transfer portal, the NCAA also needs to change the rule to make it so that all schools have to worry about is having 85 scholarship players. Not the BS 25 per year cap

From Athletic Daily

We haven’t talked enough about just how crazy the Tennessee situation was and still is. The Vols might have voluntarily torpedoed their program with NCAA penalties because of one bad contract extension — and might not save money from it anyway.

To recap: Athletic director Phillip Fulmer gave Jeremy Pruitt a two-year extension in September, coming off an 8-5 season, at a time when no one was banging down the door to hire Pruitt. Tennessee then had an ugly 3-7 season and faced a decision: It could have paid Pruitt $12.8 million to go away — close to the same amount South Carolina paid Muschamp. Instead, it started an internal investigation into potential NCAA violations and later fired Pruitt for cause, which nullified a buyout.

Tennessee then paid around $6 million to UCF just to buy out athletic director Danny White and head coach Josh Heupel from UCF. It seems likely Pruitt could sue Tennessee, and if the sides come to a settlement like Kansas did with former head coach David Beaty after KU tried a similar strategy, Tennessee might end up spending as much money as if it had just bought out Pruitt. And now the program is in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

Why did any of this happen? Tennessee apparently couldn’t get its boosters to buy out another coach. But this move also came at the end of the coaching carousel. Any replacement candidate Tennessee wanted would have been available in the next coaching cycle. Did they need to pull the plug on Pruitt that badly? So badly it was worth potentially crippling NCAA penalties instead of waiting another year? That NCAA cloud then turned off a number of targets to replace Pruitt.

Cost-Benefit Analysis. While I wasn't screaming it, many fans were saying that another year of Pruitt would cost the university. Neyland might not have been full, and that's money too. I believe Kansas paid Beaty nearly his entire buyout, but I am betting that we have more leverage. We also saved on new assistant coaches. We fired a few for cause, and our new OC and OL coaches combined are being paid the same as Chaney. There is much more than this article dives into.

From Athletic Daily

In the last 20 years have they done anything that made financial sense. We have become the Oprah Winfrey of college athletics.....And you get a buy out and you get a buy out !!!!

Tennessee basketball now experiencing the maddening inconsistency of programs that have the “one and done” talent each year.

The previous squads were less talented but far more consistent over the season. Each have their pros and cons and it takes a rare combination for those to hit in all cylinders

Ask Calipari

I think this team’s issue is the inconsistency in play by our veterans like Fulky, Pons, Vescovi and JJJ. Fulky in particular had been very disappointing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back