Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can’t expect EE’s around here when our history only has one all time. It takes some luck to do it, too. Losing Alexander to injury, a bouncing ball on the rim, and a questionable foul all played into not advancing further for Barnes’ UT teams.

I also don’t think next year will be bad. We will have an elite PG, and we will add to the post whether it’s a reclassified BHH or a transfer post player.

This program sucked when Barnes came. The fact that we are discussing this is pretty remarkable.
Im not advocating for firing Barnes at all what he has done is fine.
The FF talk came from Rob Lewis and other Vol Media guys who told us this team was head and shoulders above the conference, that a legit 7 footer would be the only thing we would struggle with. Obviously that wasn't true, imo we should never talk pre season higher than S16/R32.

When I think next years team I see:
OU with Trae Young and ???
LSU with Ben Simmons and ???
Alabama with Collin Sexton and???
Georgia with Edwards and ???

Reactions: VolByLaw
I can't read too much into this KY loss.....no doubt, they have a crappy record, but they are not a crappy team...I know,
you are what your record says you are........But not when you have a team of uber talented freshmen who haven't figured out how to win game in game out, anything is possible on any given day.....they played to the level of their talent
today......maybe a little above their talent level....They were sinking 3s like the Utah Jazz in the 1st half......they would have beaten the bammers today......they are dangerous come tournament time

this team lacks the finishing mentality that comes from experience. one or two frosh would do well to stick around.
Jackson is ready for the Association, for sure.....maybe two or three others.......with the class they have coming in and the ones who will stay, they could be back to their winning ways next year

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I can't read too much into this KY loss.....no doubt, they have a crappy record, but they are not a crappy team...I know,
you are what your record says you are........But not when you have a team of uber talented freshmen who haven't figured out how to win game in game out, anything is possible on any given day.....they played to the level of their talent
today......maybe a little above their talent level....They were sinking 3s like the Utah Jazz in the 1st half......they would have beaten the bammers today......they are dangerous come tournament time

I think losing to a 13 loss Kentucky team says more about the coaching ability (or lack thereof) of Calipari than it does about the coaching ability of Barnes. They have a more talented team than we do despite the records. **** happens. We couldn’t hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle today.

What I don’t understand about Barnes is his unwillingness to go Full Court Press for a short period of time when you are down 20 points early.

Press get the momentum back by going on hopefully 6-0 or higher run and then go back to your normal defense..... how hard is that?

Im not advocating for firing Barnes at all what he has done is fine.
The FF talk came from Rob Lewis and other Vol Media guys who told us this team was head and shoulders above the conference, that a legit 7 footer would be the only thing we would struggle with. Obviously that wasn't true, imo we should never talk pre season higher than S16/R32.

When I think next years team I see:
OU with Trae Young and ???
LSU with Ben Simmons and ???
Alabama with Collin Sexton and???
Georgia with Edwards and ???

Rob Lewis’ job is to create excitement and people wanting to discuss the team. That was premature. They cover UT, and I doubt they truly analyze other teams.

I don’t on your comparisons. Mashack is a 4 Star. JJJ is still a 5 Star and one that seems to be Barnes’ liking that he can still develop. I believe Bailey was a 4 Star. We will add either BHH (who is a top 25 player) or a transfer post. Fulky may return, and we know he is capable. There might even be more roster turnover. Barnes also seems to coach better when there aren’t high expectations.

Reactions: OrangenSC
What I don’t understand about Barnes is his unwillingness to go Full Court Press for a short period of time when you are down 20 points early.

Press get the momentum back by going on hopefully 6-0 or higher run and then go back to your normal defense..... how hard is that?

Vescovi and Bailey are on the slow side to press or recover if it’s broken. I don’t know the true answer.

Vescovi and Bailey are on the slow side to press or recover if it’s broken. I don’t know the true answer.
Yeah but you have to do something.... 18 to 20 point deficit without applying pressure is hard to come back from period. Tempo has to change.

We did the same thing against LSU.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Rob Lewis’ job is to create excitement and people wanting to discuss the team. That was premature. They cover UT, and I doubt they truly analyze other teams.

I don’t on your comparisons. Mashack is a 4 Star. JJJ is still a 5 Star and one that seems to be Barnes’ liking that he can still develop. I believe Bailey was a 4 Star. We will add either BHH (who is a top 25 player) or a transfer post. Fulky may return, and we know he is capable. There might even be more roster turnover. Barnes also seems to coach better when there aren’t high expectations.
He can do that without selling FF expectations. S16 talk is fine imo. Now with me at least there is a level of trust lost with him where I probably wont believe anything he sells past a tourney team next year.

I just dont like next years roster, its one stud and a bunch of good but not great.

Reactions: VolByLaw

And Vescovi returning. It definitely won’t be Chandler and nobody else. Bailey has talent I’m excited to see him with another year of Barnes. We’ll be a decent team and make the tourney, maybe Barnes can get one of Springer/Keon to return

And Vescovi returning. It definitely won’t be Chandler and nobody else. Bailey has talent I’m excited to see him with another year of Barnes. We’ll be a decent team and make the tourney, maybe Barnes can get one of Springer/Keon to return
Draft might be a little loaded this year so I can see them returning depending on the grade. They aren't for sure one and dones

Yeah but you have to do something.... 18 to 20 point deficit without applying pressure is hard to come back from period. Tempo has to change.

We did the same thing against LSU.

You have to get defensive stops to turn up the tempo, and they got none in the first half. They got some in the second half, but the offense was bad. UK scored 25 points and was like 6-29. Defense wasn’t the problem.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
I would be pleasantly shocked if Springer comes back, not as sure about Keon or the others

Reactions: Smokey19rt
He can do that without selling FF expectations. S16 talk is fine imo. Now with me at least there is a level of trust lost with him where I probably wont believe anything he sells past a tourney team next year.

I just dont like next years roster, its one stud and a bunch of good but not great.

I can’t speak for anyone else. I used to be on VQ for years. How often have they talked about a player’s fall camp performance in football only to do nothing in the season? Part of their job is selling too. I thought this team was very good, and they may still be. But I don’t get caught up in that stuff. A FF is hard to make.

Reactions: mikemist
You have to get defensive stops to turn up the tempo, and they got none in the first half. They got some in the second half, but the offense was bad. UK scored 25 points and was like 6-29. Defense wasn’t the problem.
I don’t disagree on the defense part. Not saying it was bad. Saying you have to do something to start scoring lol. Pull the entire bench put in the dudes who never play 😂 we were 5-26 or something like that at one point.

I can’t speak for anyone else. I used to be on VQ for years. How often have they talked about a player’s fall camp performance in football only to do nothing in the season? Part of their job is selling too. I thought this team was very good, and they may still be. But I don’t get caught up in that stuff. A FF is hard to make.
I think a lot of that was on Pruitt though. Not trying to blame him for everything. However, there were some guys out there who weren’t getting any hype during fall ball and the guys who were showing out never touched the field.... even though Pruitt repeatedly stated if you practice well you will play......

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back