Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya. My first girl was the result of a year and a half of fertility treatments, loads of tests, AIs, a surgery for my wife and two rounds of in vitro (almost none of which was covered by insurance). My daughter was a frozen embryo for three months before getting back into the mix — I always say she's three months older than other kids her age.

But yeah, the whole process beat the hell out of us physically, emotionally and financially. Of course, with a million do-overs I'd do it all again every damn time to get that girl.

And then we got pregnant with my second daughter on the first try (unassisted). My wife called her our BOGO.

I was a bit short of 42 years old when the first one was born and now I'm mid-fitties with two middle schoolers. And I'm absolutely loving it. I just don't ever get to retire is all.

I hear ya. I am planning on retiring the day before my 69th birthday. Just 10 years and 8 months from now.

My daughter will be 25. I figure that will give her time to be settled into life...

Most of these guys portaling out had real poison pill potential. They were disgruntled, bitter or soured on UT and while we needed some of them, their attitudes weren't good for the team.

HT is a bit different because he's motivated to elevate his play to improve his draft stock. That would be an asset. He also wants to win championships, so if he can play at Bama, he probably will.

I'd say most of the guys leaving realized they weren't getting McDonalds bags any more, JMO.
As for Henry T ... if he wants to play, he needs to stay. He's guaranteed to start here ... at Bama, not so much.

Turn up the music in here to sound out recruits leaving and The negativity towards JH left by Pruitt..find a happy place and let the good times roll...PARTY ON🤘🏽🤘🏽🎤

1613749236158.gif

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Most of these guys portaling out had real poison pill potential. They were disgruntled, bitter or soured on UT and while we needed some of them, their attitudes weren't good for the team.

HT is a bit different because he's motivated to elevate his play to improve his draft stock. That would be an asset. He also wants to win championships, so if he can play at Bama, he probably will.

I understand that with guys like Morris, and the like, but these incoming freshman as well? Brooks probably falls into this category since he has a love affair with Pruitt, but Brown and now Gooch?

I've understood the rebuild effort in the administration, no more band aides, tore it down to the studs. Seems like the team is going through the same process. Hopefully this new crew are expert builders.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is another that hasn't been mentioned. Love "Daja Voodo"
Kenny is just an SRV wannabe. Don’t hear anything unique in his guitar playing. He’s also such a douche. Saw him at a Hendrix tribute show and while he killed the guitar playing his personality and stage presence just screamed super douche. Seems like the type of guy who denies autographs to children. Talented guitar player. Can’t stand him. Same with Joe Bonamassa, except Bonamassa is actually a pretty special guitar player. Both seem like douchebags though, and that kills my vibe.

If they are cancerous to the team then I'm glad they are going/gone. I hate that we lost so much talent and in some positions it has us in a bad spot as far as numbers, but you can't ever win that way in a team sport.

Some situations didn't seem fixable. Some were burned out on UT, some felt slighted and some talked about leaving during the season, which added to the team's distractions. Threatening to leave and being talked back again and again seldom works-- and IDT the new staff would have had the same tolerance for it.

He’ll make his money in the second contract if he’s enough good anyway, but go ahead and burn everyone that’s been supporting you these past 2 plus years.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I'd say most of the guys leaving realized they weren't getting McDonalds bags any more, JMO.
As for Henry T ... if he wants to play, he needs to stay. He's guaranteed to start here ... at Bama, not so much.
i think Henry will wind up in the NFL no matter what. at this point, i think he realizes he's on a clock for what he would like to accomplish in college, and that clock will run out at TN. that's really it. if he goes to Bama or Clemson or a program of that ilk, he doesn't hurt his NFL chances at all, and does dramatically improve his chances of participating on a championship level team.

i don't blame him. but i would really like it better if he stayed. being totally selfish here, there's no real downside to his overall future prospects by staying. he does give up any real hope of a championship.

but he gains the chance of being a TN favorite, potentially 'legend'...would be an automatic leader on this team, and would probably be one of, if not the, best player in the locker room, and thus, get a ton of attention week to week....there's something to be said for leaving your mark someplace, and he'd do that here. probably not so much some place else.

but either way....i can't say i blame him.

i think Henry will wind up in the NFL no matter what. at this point, i think he realizes he's on a clock for what he would like to accomplish in college, and that clock will run out at TN. that's really it. if he goes to Bama or Clemson or a program of that ilk, he doesn't hurt his NFL chances at all, and does dramatically improve his chances of participating on a championship level team.

i don't blame him. but i would really like it better if he stayed. being totally selfish here, there's no real downside to his overall future prospects by staying. he does give up any real hope of a championship.

but he gains the chance of being a TN favorite, potentially 'legend'...would be an automatic leader on this team, and would probably be one of, if not the, best player in the locker room, and thus, get a ton of attention week to week....there's something to be said for leaving your mark someplace, and he'd do that here. probably not so much some place else.

If he goes to Bama, UGA or UF I blame him. Like you said, he’s getting to the League regardless, and like I said, if he’s gonna get paid it will be in the second contract anyway. There are 61 other schools to choose from . Go to Clemson, Ohio State, Oregon, USC, Texas.... plenty of great options with schools that have a great tradition of putting linebackers into the NFL.

I think his dad has already said too much on social media and pretty much burned the bridge on their way out. I'd love to be wrong on this one but I don't think so.

Bama's pushing hard. The SEC rule is the holdback... for now. If Bama gets him, they're promising to play him. They're telling Daddy T what he wants to hear.

Some situations didn't seem fixable. Some were burned out on UT, some felt slighted and some talked about leaving during the season, which added to the team's distractions. Threatening to leave and being talked back again and again seldom works-- and IDT the new staff would have had the same tolerance for it.
this kind of stuff goes on at most programs that have change. so it's not not really new or anything. i think the issue for us as fans is just some of the names on the list....gray, lawrence, morris, crouch, to'oto'o....all big time names that we all immediately looked to as the foundation the program would be built on from a talent level standpoint.....

now they're all gone, or all but gone......and we're starting over, again. in some ways, i'm glad they all left, because it really leaves no room for doubt as to what the situation is, and where this new staff is starting from....the cupboard isn't as "full" as many would have thought it to be when/if Pruitt left, so there's a certain comfort in knowing that whatever this staff does, good or bad, it'll be theirs. and that it will yet again take some time to find out....especially on defense. good news, for an offensive minded staff, there IS some talent on that side of the ball to work with, and we seemingly have good options going forward at QB....

but obviously, i'd rather have as much quality talent on the field as possible, so starting from behind the 8 ball in any fashion sucks. lol. it really can't be argued that this team would not be better if those guys named above were still on the roster.........

eh, that's not entirely accurate. we've been signing top 15 classes, on average, fairly regularly, even as bad as we've been the past decade and a half. and it hasn't really mattered who the staff is. had a few top ten's sprinkled in there.

it's not exactly going out on a limb to say that the brand has taken some pretty heavy gut punches over the years, so i get where the sentiment is coming from, but being from Tennessee, still gets you in the door with a lot of players.

the thing that's been missing is really good leadership, administratively on down. continuity in the football program. and overall development of culture and physical skill.

I think we may have finally addressed the first point there, on leadership. the rest is TBD, and has been for a while. but if those things do get addressed, the talent will come back....
15 doesn't do much when our competition is in the top 8 normally. We don't recruit well on a national scene. It's like in the Blindsided movie Fulmer came pretty much all other coaches gave up. We know we don't stand a chance when Clemson, UGA, Bama, UF, and OSU wants a kid 95% of the time. We got to a point where we were going 50/50 with Aub under Pruitt, but we have been recruiting against USCjr, UK, and Aub more times than not. We are in the SEC so we have pull, but we don't have the pull to get top talent on selling UT which is what I was responding to. We know why we were going 50/50 with Aub now also.

Damn no lunch or dinner? He's the real deal!

I just wish some of these guys understood how many kids right there in Knoxville right now would do anything to be in their shoes.

Knowing your meals are coming 3 a day and paid for, getting help on all your studies that are also being paid for, getting coached and trained to be at your best physically all paid for, medical paid for, plenty of clothing supplied and a roof over your head. I get it's a lot of work to be a D1 athlete, I really do. But it's a lot of work to be poor with no opportunities like the ones these student athletes get to better yourself to get outta the poverty you often get born into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back