Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basilio bringing the fire today. He really likes the offensive staff that has been assembled. Seem very organized and professional. Could work out well for us.

On the other hand, he thinks the Martinez hire is terrible. He’s not liked by coaches in the state, doesn’t develop his players (see Justin Coleman and Emmanuel Moseley), and looks like a lazy hire by DW. Coleman and Moseley should have been stars here but went undrafted and didn’t shine until the NFL.
I don’t know about his relationship with coaches but Coleman and Mosley were both low rated finds.... those guys take awhile to develop sometimes. .... they are bad examples for his point.

Both were ok players here though. Haven’t had that at corner other than Bryce

OK isn’t enough. Both are having nice NFL careers. Should have been developed more while they were here. We need coaches who will develop. Hope Banks can fill that role for the whole secondary.

Basilio bringing the fire today. He really likes the offensive staff that has been assembled. Seem very organized and professional. Could work out well for us.

On the other hand, he thinks the Martinez hire is terrible. He’s not liked by coaches in the state, doesn’t develop his players (see Justin Coleman and Emmanuel Moseley), and looks like a lazy hire by DW. Coleman and Moseley should have been stars here but went undrafted and didn’t shine until the NFL.
Wasn't mosley an undersized 2 star that he helped get into the league though?

I know he's no longer here and isn't the most mobile, but I sort of wish JT Shrout had an opportunity in this offense and with this coaching staff.

I think out of all of the QBs last year he had the "highest highs" and flashed the most arm talent/strength, especially on deep balls, which we will see a lot of in this O. Plus maybe Heupel/Halzle/Golesh could've helped him develop more of a touch on short passes instead of throwing 95 mph fastballs to the check down.
I think a major problem we can all agree on is the absolute inability of the past coaching staff to develop anybody at the QB position. It seemed that any other game I watched in the past several years both teams had QB's that usually threw the ball to a guy with the same color jersey on and threw it where, more times than not, where it was catchable and not 10 ft over the receivers head, that is a combination of poor technique and poor coaching.

Last edited:
I don’t know about his relationship with coaches but Coleman and Mosley were both low rated finds.... those guys take awhile to develop sometimes. .... they are bad examples for his point.

They are perfect examples. I remember Coleman missing tackles and coverages. People were screaming to get him out of the lineup. Then at one point he became the highest paid DB in the NFL? That’s a pretty drastic improvement.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
maybe, i can see your point....., but i'll be the first to admit, when i started hearing Coleman's name in NFL games, i had forgotten he even played here, and i remember being shocked when i saw Mosely starting, and thriving, for the 49ers...i was like, where'd that guy come from?

i always liked Mosley's effort, but his skills at CB while here were never on display like they have been in his post UT career. Good for them both though, i'm happy for them....

i do hope round 2 of CWM leaves a better impression that the 1st round....i get why he was hired, and i am not gonna rail on the guy, but i'd be lying if i said i was, errr, 'excited' to hear he was coming back to Knoxville....

hope he's great here, this time. :)

WTF is Tony smoking exactly?

Coleman outta HS was a 3 star recruit, while at UT he had 157 total tackles, 8.5 TFL, 5 INTs 1 TD in the NFL he's got 211 total tackles, 5 TFL, 4 INTs, 2 TDs in 6 seasons. His per year stats at UT were on par with what he's done in the NFL...I wouldn't say he "didn't shine" until the NFL because of UT's poor success he was a bargain is all.

Moseley outta HS was a 3 star recruit (borderline 2 star), while at UT he had 141 total tackles, 9.5 TFL, 2 INTs in the NFL he's at 98 total tackles, 2 TFL, 2 INTs in 3 seasons.

In other words Tony's nonsense about those two isn't supported by the stats. They weren't drafted high or at all, that's the gripe but that's as much about UT as it is WM or the players.

Coleman outta HS was a 3 star recruit, while at UT he had 157 total tackles, 8.5 TFL, 5 INTs 1 TD in the NFL he's got 211 total tackles, 5 TFL, 4 INTs, 2 TDs in 6 seasons. His per year stats at UT were on par with what he's done in the NFL...I wouldn't say he "didn't shine" until the NFL because of UT's poor success he was a bargain is all.

Moseley outta HS was a 3 star recruit (borderline 2 star), while at UT he had 141 total tackles, 9.5 TFL, 2 INTs in the NFL he's at 98 total tackles, 2 TFL, 2 INTs in 3 seasons.

In other words Tony's nonsense about those two isn't supported by the stats. They weren't drafted high or at all, that's the gripe but that's as much about UT as it is WM or the players.
i think it's more or less that those 2 even have a career in the NFL worthy of mentioning that warrants the statement. siap, i was shocked that mosely made the team, started, and was at one point getting run as a potential pro bowler. lol.

to say i didn't see that coming is a relatively large understatement.

Stats are great but they went undrafted. It’s not like they suddenly started trying hard after college. CWM just didn’t help those guys get better.

Have you ever wondered why you can can go to a Flea Market and nobody is selling fleas. Are those people that go disappointed that they don't have them and if they did what would they want them for. Has anyone seen my blanket.......... I need to think about this further BEFORE I judge these people.

Also neither Moseley nor Coleman have started consistently. Coleman has averaged just 5 starts a year, Moseley just 6 (both rounded up).

Coleman has never been the highest paid DB in the league, not once. Right now he's 20th based on yearly average and that's just because Detroit overpaid to get him before the 2019 season.

Still seems kinda revisionist on EM. He was a very low rated guy who seemed like a reach at the time. Coleman was a different situation. Higher rated, but I remember "slow" being the complaint with him.

Low rated doesn’t always mean “project” but could be “misevaluated”. Cam Sutton was low rated but he could play right away. Some take longer to develop but it shouldn’t happen after their college career!

Still seems kinda revisionist on EM. He was a very low rated guy who seemed like a reach at the time. Coleman was a different situation. Higher rated, but I remember "slow" being the complaint with him.
Biggest issue with Coleman at Tennessee was playing out wide too much. Which was a coaching issue. Once he moved to the slot he was much better.

Coleman didn't and doesn't have the skills to play outside. He is a very good nickle.

Also neither Moseley nor Coleman have started consistently. Coleman has averaged just 5 starts a year, Moseley just 6 (both rounded up).

Coleman has never been the highest paid DB in the league, not once. Right now he's 20th based on yearly average and that's just because Detroit overpaid to get him before the 2019 season.
i don't know about their salaries etc, and not really concerned about it.

to me, again, it was just the notion that those two were even capable of making an NFL squad based on their performances here....

Reactions: Smokey19rt
i think it's more or less that those 2 even have a career in the NFL worthy of mentioning that warrants the statement. siap, i was shocked that mosely made the team, started, and was at one point getting run as a potential pro bowler. lol.

to say i didn't see that coming is a relatively large understatement.

Feather in the cap of WM more than it's not though.

Neither of them is in the league if he wasn't developing them. Moseley had 6 offers, Kentucky and NC State being the only other two worth note and that was in 2014 before either of those programs was winning much of anything. Coleman had just 2 offers when he came outta HS in 2011 according to 247 profile, us & Kentucky.

Stats are great but they went undrafted. It’s not like they suddenly started trying hard after college. CWM just didn’t help those guys get better.
NFL has been weird about drafting players from UT. So many bums were drafted over Marquez, shy tuttle, Kyle philips, etc.

I think being a losing program hurt those players draft stock more than anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back