Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: does anyone know when the ‘25 counters per year’ cycle starts over? I’m curious to know when someone from the transfer portal could count towards next year’s class.
Per academic year. An athlete who enters school after the first term can count either in the current academic year or the next academic year.

Reactions: GoBigOrangeVols
I think it’s way easier for Day to convince him to stay than it is for us to convince him to leave.

After thinking about he will stay. Way more upside.

You have to choose wisely or be really confident in your abilities in your first big job. People always remember your failures even if it is 4 jobs later. Look at Steele attempts to be a HC. Baylor 20 yrs ago always haunts him. So if you take your first DC job and fail then you probably never get that shot again.

Given how our offense is going to operate, there's a very slim chance of defensive success here.

If he ultimately wants to be a HC, Co-DC with a yearly playoff team probably gets you there faster than giving up 30+ points a game for a team scratching for 6 wins.
Yeah it seems like we should go after someone who is used to dealing with high tempo. Would be super risky for both parties to get a young unproved defensive coach, even though I love that washington is an elite recruiter (recruiting matters more for defense)

Reactions: Kingston Vol
Go back to TAMU. Could you imagine a worse possible 2 months for UT? I'm not sure this entire process could be going worse. Getting turned down by a position coach for DC after DW taking his whole UCF crew.

We're a joke

Reactions: Catbone
I see your point, but it would be much easier to be successful defensively up 14-0 in the 1st quarter than down 14-0..
When you hold someone to a 3 and out and there’s no expectation that your offense will reward your effort...it wears you down fast. We glimpsed that dynamic.

Reactions: Vols4us and Pacer92
I think it’s way easier for Day to convince him to stay than it is for us to convince him to leave.

After thinking about he will stay. Way more upside.
I believe the only way he takes this job is if he is just itching for a P5 DC job with a high ceiling. Most everything else is stacked against Tennessee.

I believe the only way he takes this job is if he is just itching for a P5 DC job with a high ceiling. Most everything else is stacked against Tennessee.

I just don’t think it makes sense for him. He seems to have the inside track to DC job once Coombs is done and I doubt Coombs is a long term guy there.

Yeah it seems like we should go after someone who is used to dealing with high tempo. Would be super risky for both parties to get a young unproved defensive coach, even though I love that washington is an elite recruiter (recruiting matters more for defense)
For sure - need someone acclimated to this style of play.

The problem is there are only a handful of guys who have had sustained defensive success while the offense plays at this tempo - and how excited are we going to be to pull one of them from North Texas, Tulsa or Kent State?

Reactions: 2xVol
I just don’t think it makes sense for him. He seems to have the inside track to DC job once Coombs is done and I doubt Coombs is a long term guy there.
I talked to an OSU friend of mine and Coombs is probably longer term than we think. I said earlier I thought he would head back to the NFL, but apparently that's not his goal. But yes, I think Washington as the inside track to be a DC somewhere soon and at OSU eventually.

Go back to TAMU. Could you imagine a worse possible 2 months for UT? I'm not sure this entire process could be going worse. Getting turned down by a position coach for DC after DW taking his whole UCF crew.

We're a joke
I don’t think we are turned down by matters.... it is what we end up with that matters.

Reactions: BIGORANGEBUBBA
Looks like the coaching turnover has finally come home to roost on hires below the HC level. The schools are easily able to point out how coaches have had their careers nuked by coming here.

We’ll see what happens. They are definitely struggling to find someone.

Side note: Kevin Steele can GTFO, we have enough problems to deal with besides someone staging hostile takeovers behind the HC back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back