Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's gotta be a weird dynamic with the UCF offensive coaches in the building. lol.

i'm assuming whoever is on an expiring contract, which i think expires Sunday, are probably just gonna be allowed to expire....

good for maurer. maybe the change is good for him, regardless of how it affects his playing time....

I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with Scott Frost and Nebraska. Scott took UCF from a team that put up 13.9 ppg his first year to 28.8 ppg his second year to 48.2 ppg and an undefeated 13-0 record his 3rd and final year there.

Nebraska is a 700’s team. That’s the team talent level. We’re an 800’s team. Alabama and Georgia are 900’s teams. Ole Miss, Kentucky, Mississippi State, South Carolina and Arkansas are 700 teams. Before Frost got to Nebraska they were the 24th most talented team in the country and the 5th most talented team in the B1G. This year they are still the 24th most talented team in the country but he’s inched them up to 4th most talented team in the B1G. They’re still a 700’s team. Even though we’ve been an 800’s team, we usually come in at 7th most talented in the SEC.

A lot of people have been asking the question, what’s wrong with Nebraska? The goal, much the same as it is here, is to get back to the 90’s Nebraska, but that’s easier written than done. In the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s, Nebraska was the Pittsburgh Steelers of college football. They had facilities and would recruit well, get some good players, bring them in, get them in the weight room, juice them up, and then go out on Saturday’s and kick everybody else’s ass. Then, it is said, a lot of other schools, in particular a lot of southern schools, built facilities, got good players, and the landscape of college football changed. It didn’t help Nebraska going from the Big 8 to the B1G. They might have got more money but the challenge on the field became steeper.

I can remember when we were bringing in the #1 recruiting classes in the years of our most recent run of success. We had the facilities and we had a legacy of winning and so we just kept rolling. Then a lot of other teams caught up and we fell off of a cliff.

Around Nebraska people offer any number of explanations about what’s wrong. One novel assessment I read about is that those around the program, mostly fans, are living on borrowed swagger. The idea is their identity is still rooted in the 90’s. That’s who they think they still are – but they’re not. The proposed solution is to find a new identity – something I’m not sure how you do. No one I could find could suggest to me how you do that. They said the greatest obstacle to the program right now is the weight of its legacy.

More than a few cornhuskers are troubled by the thought of “what happens if Scott fails?” While he has yet to have a season there where he reached 0.500 he did beat James Franklin this year. He’s been able to marginally improve their recruiting, the offensive production, and the defensive performance, but it’s not anything to write home about. The strength of the Nebraska teams of old was they had the best players on the field. The strengths of our teams in our glory years was that we had the best players on the field. For the foreseeable future it doesn’t look like either one of our programs are going to be able to recapture that mantle. Too many other teams caught up with us and passed us by. jmo.
part of their issue with identity is where do they recruit? it's not like they have a 400 mile radius of talent to get in to. they have to go farther away, and compete against a myriad of programs/conferences. plus, i think the identity issue is compromised in that there is no Big 8 anymore....worse, they left the big 12 (don't blame them) and are in a conf that doesn't present any natural rivals. theyr'e kind of in no man's land in that respect.

but i think the single biggest factor in Nebraska's fall was the regulations put in for non qualifiers......fournd this, nice summary...

these are the reasons that i think the comparison of TN and NE fall flat. we both became irrelevant, but for different reasons....ours are more fixable than theirs, i believe. we just have yet to do it...lol

A number of things happened to significantly retard Nebraska football...

1. No partial or non-qualifiers...

In the days of the Big 8, each school was given the ability to determine how many partial and non-qualifiers it could have on its roster...In Nebraska's last National Title Championship team, their starting 22 had over 50% partial and non qualifiers... That changed the day the Big 12 came into existence and NU football has never been the same...

Remember the old line - The only difference between Joe Paterno and Tom Osborne... Paterno coaches at Penn State, and Osborne coaches at State Pen !!!

2. Advanced testing for steroids...

Nothing "corn-fed" any more in Lincoln

3. Limited scholarships...

In the days of the Big 8, Nebraska was allowed to issue non-athletic scholarships (one from each county in the state) for "deserving Nebraskans"...Somehow those schollies always ended up going to borderline football recruits who were then allowed to "walk on" the team. The athletic scholarships were then saved for more legit recruits...

So who all is official?
With Heupel hired Thursday’s focus became about the staff. Tennessee’s University jet flew UCF co-offensive coordinator Alex Golesh, UCF quarterbacks coach Joey Halzle along with two support staff members including director of player personnel Brandon Lawson to Knoxville arriving before noon and heading straight to the football complex to work.

Wide receivers coach Kodi Burns was hired by Heupel at UCF earlier this month. Burns is a candidate to be on Heupel’s staff in Knoxville. In fact there’s plenty of rumblings that he will be on Rocky Top as early as today, but, like UCF offensive coach Glen Elarbee, Burns has options as he’s in play for a position at Maryland sources said on Thursday.

- VQ

Why are there so many RHers here? Especially after today. Close out those positions and move your money to a brokerage that doesn’t completely sacrifice the average investor to protect the big money.

No one knew RH would do that until they did. They're all in the pockets of the billionaires to one extent or another. I'm also not entirely convinced that GME will blow up like everyone expects it to once the hedge funds run out of options to avoid their overpriced buybacks. They will shut down the national power grid or have a global internet blackout before they allow those billions and billions of dollars to be lost/redistributed to the common man.

part of their issue with identity is where do they recruit? it's not like they have a 400 mile radius of talent to get in to. they have to go farther away, and compete against a myriad of programs/conferences. plus, i think the identity issue is compromised in that there is no Big 8 anymore....worse, they left the big 12 (don't blame them) and are in a conf that doesn't present any natural rivals. theyr'e kind of in no man's land in that respect.

but i think the single biggest factor in Nebraska's fall was the regulations put in for non qualifiers......fournd this, nice summary...

Wow, I had no idea about any of this (except the ‘roids).

that's gotta be a weird dynamic with the UCF offensive coaches in the building. lol.

i'm assuming whoever is on an expiring contract, which i think expires Sunday, are probably just gonna be allowed to expire....

good for maurer. maybe the change is good for him, regardless of how it affects his playing time....

just letting them watch as much netflix as they want until their contract expires.

Swain’s butt hurt over Tony Elliot, that’s who he wanted.

Some people don’t want to see it, but the former players are a much bigger issue than the fans. I’m not specifically talking about this instance, but there are a lot of former players who’ve had their feelings hurt and carry that sh!t around with them.

I’m not saying all of course, but if you talked to a few you’d be surprised at some of the stuff they say.
If he is butthurt, then he needs to butthurt at Dabo and Tony Elliott. It seems we did offer and upon Dabo's advice, Elliott turned us down. What else does he expect us to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back