Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to put something out there I'm hearing:

We all think Danny White hired his buddy and that it was a lazy decision - one that could have been made as soon as DW took the job.

However, I'm hearing a different story. We searched the country trying to find coaches who fit the profile we were looking for: clean with the NCAA, offensive mind with a legitimate track record in a P5 conference, and obviously, interest in this job through sanctions.

That list of coaches was very short. Elliott, Dykes, Leipold. James Franklin faked interest to use us for a raise and facility upgrades.

So, what I'm telling you is the only reason we landed on Josh Heupel was not that Danny White wanted him all along. In fact, I think it was the opposite. We turned over every rock, turned every corner, only to realize our candidate pool was very shallow. And while Heupel had reservations about taking the job, White's personal relationship with him was able to bridge the gap.

Says who? The UT propaganda machine? Parker?

Parker Executive Search, who by the way was founded and currently operated by Dan Parker, a big UGA booster and board member, ran a retained search therefore they were getting paid regardless of the outcome of this search. I'm sure they tried to reach out to a couple big candidates, but I imagine they were laughing with the candidate about UTs situation.

Donde and Boyd put entirely too many restraints on the search to begin with by their actions at one of the most embarrassing pressers I've ever witnessed. They should have said less to keep the expectations leveled and the fans wouldn't be as upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxswim890
I know a lot of people are carrying water for DW, but the whole “it was hard” excuse doesn’t do much for me when we’re paying a guy like we’re paying him. You have to find a way to succeed in spite of the challenge. Maybe I will end up being wrong, but I don’t think this will be a success.

Having said, if he can help us navigate these NCAA issues without too much damage, that will go a long way to restoring some faith.
Fee the same way

Hard to believe Chadwell, Campbell, Kiffin, Freeze all said no or weren’t offered, but that is looking like it is actually true.

I will bet anybody Freeze is on staff at Bama in the next 3 years in some capacity and not one person will care or one media story run that berates it.

I’ll be on board with Heupel....but as soon as the “he needs 5 years” and “he inherited a dumpster fire” talk starts after losing games in embarrassing and inexplicable fashion I’m out. Not entertaining it anymore. At a place like this it should be expected to steamroll KY, Vandy, Mizz, and USC on a yearly basis, right out of the gate.

Moving on, I wonder what our current players do? I wonder how many hit the portal now that they know who will be their coach? This can still get worse.

Been burned too many times by blindly supporting the hire just because we were told to do so. smh
OK. So what's the alternative? Lol.

You can stop being a fan, which I can at least understand. Or you can complain about it all the time, which is just going to make you miserable and you won't feel any better if he fails anyway.

Can we just stop talking about total offense and total defense? With varying competition and ESPECIALLY pace, both tell you very little.

His defenses are typically average, right on par with his talent level.

2019, second year at UCF, defensive efficiency was #15 in the country, and above Fickell for tops in the AAC.

Most of us aren’t happy with how this search went but that’s because we believed “insiders” were going to bring us Bob Stoops or Matt Campbell. They didn’t. That sucks. Time to move on, we have Heupel.

Guys, UT recruits itself. Heupel with some good assistants will be top 20 without a doubt, even under this NCAA cloud. Could be Top 10 if he hires guys like Garner and keeps Steele and Graham. At the very least we’re going to be fun to watch on offense. That’ll be a nice change of pace.

Am I doing backflips at this hire? No. But his resume is better than the last few coaches we’ve hired. I’m ready to see what he can do. Let’s go!
yup.

Reactions: VOL6479
The absolute biggest thing is for JH is to assemble a good staff. Coaches that can recruit, not the other way around. He’s gonna have to find kids for his system on offense and in the South that shouldn’t be a problem.

Gotta get good position coaches. Especially on the lines. That’s where we need the most help
I just want coaches who can coach. Show kids that they’ll be developed and the rest will work itself out.

The chadwell love here is a bit comical to me. If he wasn’t from East Tennessee I’m not sure anybody would’ve been begging for him.

Worst case we can hire him in 4-5 years when he’s had more than 1 successful year in D1.

Fanbase has two choices as I see it..

1. Shut our damn mouths and support the new staff. Absolute support.
2. Shut our damn mouths and stop spending, any and all, money on UT football. Absolute lack of support.

It really doesn't matter if we have good reason or not to bitch. People get tired of hearing it and we've been doing for over ten years now. How's it worked out?

Fans alway seem to think there is nothing they can do and expect others to change, yet are unwilling to try something different themselves.

Stop bitching about things we have NO control over and change what we do have control of, our actions.

I'm sure some will see this as me blaming the fans, far from it. My point is, stop doing what has no affect and start doing what actually might....

Flame away....
Agree with this post wholeheartedly.

My decision is easy.

Total D last year for Heupel’s football team..
View attachment 345670
Well, his offenses run about 80 plays per game so that would explain why opposing teams run about 79 plays per game. This is literally what Kiffin does and it's literally what Bama is going to now. The game is not won on defense anymore

well no sense sitting around being miserable. I'm excited. we (DW included) didnt get our first 5 choices but you know who we did get? a guy that would take one look at JG and say "lol, NEXT"

We have a guy that knows how to work with a QB and we might, just might, be able to watch a QB in orange go play with some confidence and fire for the first time since dobbs or pre-injury ainge

The absolute biggest thing is for JH is to assemble a good staff. Coaches that can recruit, not the other way around. He’s gonna have to find kids for his system on offense and in the South that shouldn’t be a problem.

Gotta get good position coaches. Especially on the lines. That’s where we need the most help
Low saying he doesn't keep Steele. WTH wouldn't he keep Steele? I can't imagine him pulling anyone any better. Any insight on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back