Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta have some top tier assistant coaches. If he can swing Odom at DC that’s a good start and just add in some big time recruiters.

Of course they know dude. It's national news. You claimed he talked to the team and acted like half of them were going to hit the portal. He hasn't talked to them. Go back to your home on one of the Ole Piss message boards.

All you do here is stir up negativity. It's quite obvious you're a troll, which means you're a bad one.
It's quite simple. I literally said my friend talked to 4 of the players, they knew who the hire was and they weren't happy. He said to watch the transfer portal. He isn't lying.

I would like to put something out there I'm hearing:

We all think Danny White hired his buddy and that it was a lazy decision - one that could have been made as soon as DW took the job.

However, I'm hearing a different story. We searched the country trying to find coaches who fit the profile we were looking for: clean with the NCAA, offensive mind with a legitimate track record in a P5 conference, and obviously, interest in this job through sanctions.

That list of coaches was very short. Elliott, Dykes, Leipold. James Franklin faked interest to use us for a raise and facility upgrades.

So, what I'm telling you is the only reason we landed on Josh Heupel was not that Danny White wanted him all along. In fact, I think it was the opposite. We turned over every rock, turned every corner, only to realize our candidate pool was very shallow. And while Heupel had reservations about taking the job, White's personal relationship with him was able to bridge the gap.

I think this is 100% true and the last line is key. There may have been a huge dropoff from even JH, and even HE probably took some convincing. We may be lucky that there was a DW/JH connection, because without it, this is dragging on for a few more days and we are trotting out Sonny D or just promoting Steele and having to suffer through a pathetic rebuild because our offense would remain awful.

Most of us aren’t happy with how this search went but that’s because we believed “insiders” were going to bring us Bob Stoops or Matt Campbell. They didn’t. That sucks. Time to move on, we have Heupel.

Guys, UT recruits itself. Heupel with some good assistants will be top 20 without a doubt, even under this NCAA cloud. Could be Top 10 if he hires guys like Garner and keeps Steele and Graham. At the very least we’re going to be fun to watch on offense. That’ll be a nice change of pace.

Am I doing backflips at this hire? No. But his resume is better than the last few coaches we’ve hired. I’m ready to see what he can do. Let’s go!
This right here. The only reason I and some of the others on this board are really disappointed is because these “insiders” were talking about us swinging big d!cks around, centurion cards and white whales.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
He recuited at the same level they always were at.... they had one class at 55 in the past several years and the rest were low 60’s.
Exactly. They recruited the exact same after their 0-12 season as right after their undefeated season. His 2020 class was ranked 75th. He is not a good recruiter

I would like to put something out there I'm hearing:

We all think Danny White hired his buddy and that it was a lazy decision - one that could have been made as soon as DW took the job.

However, I'm hearing a different story. We searched the country trying to find coaches who fit the profile we were looking for: clean with the NCAA, offensive mind with a legitimate track record in a P5 conference, and obviously, interest in this job through sanctions.

That list of coaches was very short. Elliott, Dykes, Leipold. James Franklin faked interest to use us for a raise and facility upgrades.

So, what I'm telling you is the only reason we landed on Josh Heupel was not that Danny White wanted him all along. In fact, I think it was the opposite. We turned over every rock, turned every corner, only to realize our candidate pool was very shallow. And while Heupel had reservations about taking the job, White's personal relationship with him was able to bridge the gap.

We hear this every time we have a coaching change. It seems to get worse every year. One day we will say how did UT football fall so far after the 98 season.

So it's Josh Heupel. Alright, let's roll!

Be interesting to see how he fills out his staff, if he gets some top notch recruiters I think he could be very successful here. The QB & WR talent on roster should be hella excited to play in his offense, Hyatt could absolutely feast these next 2-3 seasons.

What coach has ever struggled getting players here? Butch was a weirdo tuba player and got great players. Pruitt was the football version of sling blade and we got some nice pieces.

Stop being lazy with some of these takes guys.
"He can't recruit!" - Gets 8th-15th ranked class.

"Best recruiter in the country!" - Gets 8th-15th ranked class.

I'll worry about recruiting after he completely whiffs on a class. Until then. It's whatever. Hopefully he can win with decent talent, but less talent than 3-4 teams on our schedule every year.

Reactions: bpvol and HankHill
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back