Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve always been and always will be under the idea that Tennessee truly does recruit itself. Not to a top 5 level per say but i really do think anyone can come in here and get top 15 classes and that alone should be enough to get us to consistently 8-4 if you are a good coach.
It’s not so much I don’t think he can’t recruit to an average Tennessee standard, I’m afraid he can’t evaluate talent and relies on high school coaches in Texas to tip him off on x number of prospects a year.

I urge everyone to be cautiously optimistic. We should give the AD a chance to get his guy. He knows coaches.
I don’t disagree, but the disheartening part is that we were told by multiple people from the second he was hired that “he already had a big name offensive guy in mind” & that was even one of the things that impressed Plowman & Boyd the most in the interview.

It’s clear that guy was Franklin. White went after him, made a huge offer, & JF declined. So now we revert down the list to our fall back options.

Reactions: Deebowbear
The problem with Dykes to me is he has proven he can’t recruit if he can’t depend on Texas connections. Been good at La Tech and SMU, was real bad at Cal.

I remember watching an SMU game last year and the color guy - don’t remember who it was - said Dykes admitted it to them.
yeah, he'd have to have a really strong staff put together to fill the gaps there....i don't think it's dykes tho....so not all that concerned..

Congrats, man!

Have as many as you think you can manage. Then have a couple more. Multiply!
Love them, lay your life down for them, show them what it means to give. Starting with your bride. This is changing the world.
Know that the hardest part is not the late nights when they just need their butts wiped. The hard part is the late nights when their hearts are broken (and yours too). But that's also the most noble, lasting work of a man's life.

Just my two cents.
I hope this gets 250 likes like an AV post does. Because this is waaaaay more important than who we are going to pay 40mil to coach a football team.

I don’t disagree, but the disheartening part is that we were told by multiple people from the second he was hired that “he already had a big name offensive guy in mind” & that was even one of the things that impressed Plowman & Boyd the most in the interview.

It’s clear that guy was Franklin. White went after him, made a huge offer, & JF declined. So now we revert down the list to our fall back options.

Let's not take "JF declined" as literal fact just yet.

Swains saying one of our dumba** fans emailed Sunny Dykes saying we don’t want him. He apparently responded saying he doesn’t wanna be at our dumpster fire of a place with a bunch of redneck fans lol

I can believe one of our fans emailed him. But I'm not buying the characterization of the response (if there was a response).

Swains saying one of our dumba** fans emailed Sunny Dykes saying we don’t want him. He apparently responded saying he doesn’t wanna be at our dumpster fire of a place with a bunch of redneck fans lol
yeah, if that's true, that's a "helping/hurting" moment someone failed....lol.

Reactions: Newman
It’s not so much I don’t think he can’t recruit to an average Tennessee standard, I’m afraid he can’t evaluate talent and relies on high school coaches in Texas to tip him off on x number of prospects a year.
That’s fair. I’m not really readying myself for dykes just yet. It doesn’t make sense to offer Franklin, vet fleck, and then settle on Sonny dykes.

If he freaked over one fan, then he doesn't have what it takes to be here, anyway, Either that or he's been turned down because someone at SMU doesn't call fans names at a huge program like Tennessee. Way to burn bridges.
Correct AND the UT fan that emailed Dykes should be banned from all UT games or events.
Total Duschbag move if correct.

Couple theories:

1 - He could be a candidate that the search firm has vetted before/recommended for other jobs, so they are familiar with him
2 - He's an "offensive guy" and has a history coaching an elite college QB (Goff), although none of those Cal teams that he played on were particularly good. Dykes went 0-12 against Stanford, UCLA, USC and Oregon during the time he had Goff.
That #2 stat is pretty bothersome. Although Stanford and Oregon were both at their peak then. I feel like Cal would not be a great place to coach college football. I don’t think anyone goes there with the idea that if you ask for something like new facilities or a facelift for your football office you’re going to get it.

Reactions: 05_never_again
The freeze...

Not promoting anyone but will say this.
I get our sanctions and a few people's pasts *should rule them out. But honestly, if you're going to preach integrity and immediately talk to JF, may as well have ALL names on the table.

And I no longer care about the approval of NCAA or the SEC. They've proven repeatedly that a select few get their nod to do whatever it takes and everyone else gets punished.
Their opinion means less than jack**** to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back