Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple more tidbits on Campbell. His 5-year record is as the most winningest coach at ISU since 1919 and he was named B12 coach of the year by the conference in 3 of his 5 years there, 2017, 2018, and 2020.

I’m not prepared to say he’s a slam dunk to have great success here but from what I’ve seen so far I like his resume and his reputation and I would think landing him as our new HC would almost universally be seen as a homerun hire. jmo.

Look, we’re competing with Iowa State for this guy. Iowa state had to lure him away from a cushy job at Toledo. Iowa State won that battle. I am going to literally laugh my ass off if we can’t beat Iowa State in this contest. There is no way he is not a legitimate target if we’re aiming high which makes me kinda think we’re going to win this time. jmo.

ISU knows on some level, he gone. Just a matter of when.

Ole Miss is just getting excited at the prospect of what their program can be with kiffin. They'd be devastated. I know, been there.

Timing is bad for Kiffin. It's going to be hard to work him back into the dharma on the Hill. His promise the first time around was immense, but now squandered. Poaching a coordinator or landing a HC in transition like Saban from Miami or a fired Kiffin obviously makes fewer enemies. I still don't like the look of completely undercutting the program in Ames.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
We’re always expecting good news by 12 tomorrow.
giphy.gif

A couple more tidbits on Campbell. His 5-year record is as the most winningest coach at ISU since 1919 and he was named B12 coach of the year by the conference in 3 of his 5 years there, 2017, 2018, and 2020.

I’m not prepared to say he’s a slam dunk to have great success here but from what I’ve seen so far I like his resume and his reputation and I would think landing him as our new HC would almost universally be seen as a homerun hire. jmo.

Look, we’re competing with Iowa State for this guy. Iowa state had to lure him away from a cushy job at Toledo. Iowa State won that battle. I am going to literally laugh my ass off if we can’t beat Iowa State in this contest. There is no way he is not a legitimate target if we’re aiming high which makes me kinda think we’re going to win this time. jmo.
He’s talked about how much he loves IAST. Said he enjoys coaching up three stars and beating teams with 5 stars. He’s turned down the NFL and Texas. It isn’t about TN v IAST

The thing is, bigger names have tried to pull him from there and failed. I really hope we get him, but I don't think we should look at him as an easy draw. The guy turned down the NFL, and supposedly Texas.

Danny White has hired D3 coaches, high school coaches, coaches that were thought to be too old, and some D2 coaches. This spans across all sports at his stops. He hasn't yet hired a superstar, someone that everyone went "HOLY SH**" when they hired him.

That changes tomorrow. LUKE FICKELL (or Matt Campbell) TO KNOXVILLE

I keep posting this video, because to me...it says he is ours to lose. This dude was tailor made for our program right now.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I keep learning more about this guy and I keep liking him more and more.

This is a tough challenge in the SEC. But this guy eats challenges for breakfast. I could see him buying into our leadership at this moment. That seems so crazy to say after our recent history. But he feels like the missing piece to hitting on this crazy hail mary we've thrown in the last few months or so to save the football program.

If he's in... What a turn of events!

For the purposes of this topic, it's got nothing to do with the court system.

Plowman and white stood on a stage and talked about moral compass and integrity.

So the only issue at hand is.. Does that guy fit?

Hard to argue he does and you don't need a conviction in court to determine that.
Well said

He’s talked about how much he loves IAST. Said he enjoys coaching up three stars and beating teams with 5 stars. He’s turned down the NFL and Texas. It isn’t about TN v IAST
It's about the challenge, that's where I think his interest is. An opportunity to resurrect a program. Whether he comes here or not I believe there is/was interest and that was/is his angle.

No one, that matters, would criticize $6-7m rotating 5 yr deal for Campbell if we can get him.

If would be considered a gigantic win for us considering how everything has gone down the last couple months, the last ten days in particular.
But you know every quarter we get out scored, his contract gets thrown into the crossfire. 😏

The thing is, bigger names have tried to pull him from there and failed. I really hope we get him, but I don't think we should look at him as an easy draw. The guy turned down the NFL, and supposedly Texas.
Read my post above yours, and watch the clip. This is why I think we have a shot.

Still don’t have specifics, but the general feeling I got tonight was that our offer to our #1 candidate was accepted.

Should be a fun morning ahead.
That happened with Charlie Strong once upon a time. But as I posted earlier, different chess board was in play.

Which hire would cause more bitterness toward the Vols from the school left behind. Kiffin abandoning Ole Miss after only a year or Campbell on the verge of a Big 12 championship at ISU skipping town with the entire football coaching staff?

Kiffin would cause more bitterness no doubt. Campbell would handle it like a pro and come out looking like a hero. With Kiffin it would be "here we go again". I would be fine with that kinda noise though. I don't think he cares either.

I do think many Ole Miss fans have kept him at arm's length. I think they could picture him leaving if they really thought about it and always could. If not for here, maybe Bama in a few years? He's crazy enough to try to follow Saban. If he has a really good year next year his stock is going way up.

Doing thumb pull ups as we speak...training. 😎
If it is Campbell, and heaven forbid we're right back here in 5 yrs because he's failed, I still would trust White with the next hire. Campbell is the whale that everyone wants, and he made it happen. They identified who they wanted and landed him. That has never been done at this university, getting the coach the entire football landscape covets, from NFL to college, to the media of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back