Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

I think you are reading Too much into this diversion thing. If an AD really wants a diversion he really has no other choice but use a big name.

Let’s be honest White May have seen the pics of bring lane home on our campus and said this must End ASAP. That guy will use that against us in recruiting. For that reason alone it’s worth having a bigger name to stop that embarrassing stuff
Not really, stopping the Lane stuff is fine. But if we are talking Campbell and then you trot out another unproven coordinator the excitement is gone. If the hire is gonna be Elliott then push, Leipold

Campbell yr 2 beat:
#3 Oklahoma on road
#4 TCU
#20 Memphis

Yr 3 beat:
#25 OK St
#6 WVU

Yr 4 beat:
#19 TX
Lost to #19 Iowa by 1
Lost to #9 OK by 1

Yr 5 beat:
#18 OK
#17 TX
#25 Oregon
Lost by 3 to #6 OK st
Lost by 6 to #10 OK in big 12 title game

Meanwhile at TN we been uncompetitive and getting our ass handed to us in big ranked games but this guy is underwhelming to a few posters...

Dude has been bringing knives to gunfights for years and winning his fair share. That’s the kind of coach we’ve been needing for a while.

Then the excitement from the fan base will pop like a balloon. You don't let these names run and go get a coordinator.
I agree. I just think, as per usual, we convince ourselves that things have changed, and that some how magically all these great coaches are going to be interested in our opening and they will not be. And its going trickle down the list until it lands on someone with either no HC experience, a coordinator or someone at a smaller school.

The fan base will accept it after a few hours of thinking about it, and they'll have us in Atlanta next year.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Not really, stopping the Lane stuff is fine. But if we are talking Campbell and then you trot out another unproven coordinator the excitement is gone. If the hire is gonna be Elliott then push, Leipold

I certainly understand but let’s be honest. 3 times today we were told if you don’t have anything nice to say stay off the Twitter. That certainly could Have been some foreshadowing. If the AD wants the hire to be surprise using a diversion to do it it has to be a big name

I mentioned Jimbo on Wednesday, when we were discussing who would be worth $7-8 million per year and close to realistic for us to get. I just don't see Campbell being worth that much money right now. He's at $3.5 million (wiki), we shouldn't have to double that to get him to Knoxville. I think he would be an 8-9 win coach here, which is better than what we've had. $4- 4.5 million is top dollar for Campbell, IMO.

*I'd rather give Freeze $4 million or Chadwell $2 million and get the 8-9 wins.
the thing about Campbell, that i even overlooked, is that he's been pretty consistent over a several year stretch. he's competitive at a high level, and has won enough big games to keep them relevant in the conf title talk, and they've avoided, for the most part, the embarrassing type losses.

the only thing he doesn't have is big time resources...

i don't know how good he'd be here, i really don't. but as "safe bets" go.............jeez, that'd be the safest bet we've placed....in a very long time.

AP on Key
"Several people I’ve spoken to think he comes back but honestly reporting on the portal stuff is a no win. Kids change their minds a lot."
assuming he doesn't already have a place lined up...hope he at least finds out who the coach is. i mean hell, we never even really got to see him play.

hope he sticks it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back