Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif
😂

Not luck, more like having everyone and everything moving in the same direction more like knowing what you stand for and who you want and how to get there.
Yeah, it's not a coincidence that Butch got closest off the back of the legacy class and the momentum that created around the program.

Everyone rowing in the same direction, being positive and excited about the direction, is more important than any one part, like a good coach or good AD.

The part after this when he said he wants the student-athletes to be the first to know who their new coach is?
That's not what he said. He basically said that the players would know who their coach is before it's released to anyone else. I doubt this first meeting is to tell them who the next coach is.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
If it's Tony Elliot I will give him my support and hope for the best even though he wouldn't be at the top of my list. Basically, I am going to defer to Danny White's expertise and insider knowledge of the industry even if I have arrived at a different conclusion. I still think the hype around Elliot right now is agent-driven, being fed to national sportswriters to get his name out there and raise his profile.

Who’s your guess as to the hire?
I don’t have a guess. That’s a weak answer. I wore my friend out this morning trying to get the name. The best I have is what I shared. There’s a single candidate that is the focus. He is interested, and has a relationship with White already. He’s also being visited tonight or tomorrow morning. If he falls through, they’ll keep moving. My friend expressed 90% confidence that it’s done, meaning we get the first choice. I’ve been wavering on who choice one is all day, and I don’t bring anything more special to that guess than anyone else. I’ll share anything else I hear as soon as I hear it. The whole AD got religion on confidentiality the minute we hired White.

Last edited:
Anyone listen to VQ power hour? We are about to hire big folks. Hubbs caught Plowman after the PC and asked “so your telling me you didn’t talk to another candidate not a single one besides White?” She told him she is used to academics where everything is out in open and goes through boards and this was first time it was a hush hush deal. She said the best advice she got from talking to people was to pick your guy. Go all in and make him tell you no. So that is what she did.

If it's Tony Elliot I will give him my support and hope for the best even though he wouldn't be at the top of my list. Basically, I am going to defer to Danny White's expertise and insider knowledge of the industry even if I have arrived at a different conclusion. I still think the hype around Elliot right now is agent-driven, being fed to national sportswriters to get his name out there and raise his profile.
i'm not advocating for elliot...

but, he is widely considered a great football coach, has been on the short list for several programs and nfl jobs, and would bring an immediate name in recruiting that many top recruits would listen to...that part is not all together different than what pruitt brought, but as we've now learned, that's all he brought to the table, and w/out anything behind it, that's not enough.

i think Elliot is a few rungs ahead of pruitt as coordinator candidates go.

so that's the approach i would take with it, if it were him. there's a path for success there.

the knock...his coaching connections can't be all that extensive, as he has never coached outside the state of South Carolina, so what does he do for a staff? and he's never run a program, so how does he get over that hurdle?

in the end, i think we're going after a sitting head coach, as was previously stated by those that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back