Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s Minnesota. After the best year they have had in 100 years. You don’t reload at programs like that. Not rocket surgery.
If he's the coach you think he is, then there is no "reloading" in year 4. They're all Fleck's recruits.

He's not the one for us

Year, was just looking into candidates who had worked with Steele. Seems that Napier could be a possibility.

UT: Wanna come here?

Napier: Not with that mess. I know people who know things.

UT: *slides note that says "$8m/year*

Napier: *slides demands for control*

UT: *considers the hole they're in, and slides contract across the table*

Napier: What's the deal with Steele?

UT: Your call.

Napier: Tell him to get Rodney. Don't you mf'ers use docusign? Who uses paper in 2020?

Last edited:
The first thing I thought when I read Kevin Simon, aside from loved seeing a VFL get his shot, was that this was a move directed at retaining Henry To'oto'o. Chess not checkers.

What I'm also thinking is, if we are making those hires then we're likely not hiring a current, established coach with his own staff somewhere. This might be like Auburn/Harsin where were hiring someone out west or someone without direct ties to the SEC and is okay with a defensive staff, with direct SEC ties, being built for him.

The kinds of coaches who would likely go for that seem to be Bill O'Brien, Doug Marrone, maybe even Jamey Chadwell. No clue if Lyle PJ Fleck is tied to his defensive staff or not. Same with Tom Allen.

He’s been available since he left OU....where OU people were beyond ready to see him go.

I’m not saying he’s Dooley or Pruitt. He was a very good coach at one point in time. He would be a good hire but i believe he is miles away from urban Meyer who is a comparable example. If we’re ponying up 8-10 mil... i want to go steal someone’s coach that is winning now.

Going to have to see some links on this... He was 11-2 his last year and won the Big-12.

He’s been available since he left OU....where OU people were beyond ready to see him go.

I’m not saying he’s Dooley or Pruitt. He was a very good coach at one point in time. He would be a good hire but i believe he is miles away from urban Meyer who is a comparable example. If we’re ponying up 8-10 mil... i want to go steal someone’s coach that is winning now.
Stoops was reinvigorated late in his tenure by Lincoln Riley, who was seen OU people (and even probably Stoops himself) as someone who could and would succeed him.

He had a really disappointing 8-5 season in 2014 and I think things were close to really falling off for him after that, kind of like how things did for Phil towards the end. Riley allowed him to go out without that happening, IMO. If Stoops were to hire a dynamite staff, particularly a dynamite OC, I think he could be good somewhere again.

I don't know that it is, but do you know that it isn't? Is it really so unrealistic that a former player already employed at the university would do them a solid and try to keep the team from completely imploding? I certainly don't think so.

I love the hire as long as the new coaches wants him and he isn’t forced on him. KS has paid his dues and love it

I am not saying we're hiring Steele, I'm not at all.

But the same people who I talked to who told me we were firing Pruitt - something I never wavered on - are saying Steele is a very realistic outcome.

Regardless, it is very weird that we're allowing him to hire defensive coaches. Yes, Steele is a great defensive coordinator. Yes, Rodney Garner is a great defensive line coach. Sure, Kevin Simon is a VFL and qualified enough to coach linebackers here. All those things are true.

But, simply put, you have to allow your head coach to make these decisions. So maybe we do have someone lined up? Chadwell makes some sense - or a coach with Vol ties we've not thought about yet. But the fact you are hiring assistants for him before he gets here 1) means he's not putting his name on these hires and 2) sends a signal you already don't trust him enough to make his own staff decisions.
Is it Jim Bob Cooter time?

Okay. I’m not going to get on here and bicker.
Question.. Depending on how far back they looked into Pruitt with these violations do you think we see the NCAA start to snoop other programs like Bama, UGA?

Napier and Steele have coached together. It's probably going to take big money to get Napier to come in and clean this mess. I could see him being the guy, the search firm doing the due diligence, and in the meantime getting the start of staff moves on the defensive side of the ball in place.

Question ... not necessarily for you (although feel free to answer, I just thought of it when I read your post) ... Does the search firm recommend guys that they know will come if negotiations go well, or do they just recommend guys they think we should pursue?

It would be pretty silly to pay a search firm for a list of guys who aren't even interested ... just asking.

You don't give an interim HC the ability to hire coaches unless you're the permanent HC or if it's been approved by the next HC. Period.
Hubbs strictly said it’s for roster stability and to keep from other players transferring. Boyd specifically said they’re looking to hire a proven winner that’s been a HC. Steele does not fall under that. IMO he’s the last option if everyone else doesn’t take the job.

Question ... not necessarily for you (although feel free to answer, I just thought of it when I read your post) ... Does the search firm recommend guys that they know will come if negotiations go well, or do they just recommend guys they think we should pursue?

It would be pretty silly to pay a search firm for a list of guys who aren't even interested ... just asking.

I have no idea, but I imagine you get the search firm when you have a few candidates and you are ready to do a deep dive to determine if there are red flags.

If someone recommended Pruitt, and they took our money, we should ask for it back.

Reactions: preacherwebb

It’s not happening, so doesn’t really matter.

For arguments sake though, Stoops/Urban would be a better hire than any other coach that has been mentioned. To suggest otherwise is laughable.

Neither are close to a realistic possibility.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back