Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell, what if it’s Gus? And all the bad blood with Steele is BS?

He would without question trust Steele to hire defensive staff & handle player relations. He would also be willing to wait for everything to fall in place before being named since he’s not at another spot yet.

Most ADs would likely love Gus as a HC too, he’s got proven results & hasn’t stirred any pots with the NCAA etc.

So here’s what I’m thinking shakes out when the all dust settles. Steele will be DC/associate HC, Kevin Simon on field LB coach and Garner DL.

No idea where the head coach thing is headed but it’s setting up like it’s going to be a guy with not a lot of P5 experience, imo. Or a guys already on the hook telling them to make these moves before he gets here.

"The criteria seems to be pretty clear. A sitting AD or one who has been a sitting AD is the preference. " - Hubbs

Doesn't this disqualify Gilbert? He's not actually be an AD, just an assistant AD right?

Here's how to read the tea leaves with Steele making staffing moves:
If he only brings in defensive coaches, he's just building a defensive staff for an offensive coach to be hired.
If he hires an offensive position coach, he's likely the head coach moving forward.

@Atlanta VOL can you at least shoot down the Kevin Steele as permanent HC talk?

giphy.gif

Well he averaged 10.5 a season there...

You have plenty of other reasons to not want Bob. Brother is at Kentucky, hasn’t coached college in 4 years, he’s 60 & a Spurrier guy.

But trying to discredit him because “it’s easy to win 8 games at OU” when the man is one of the winningest coaches in all of college football...not the hill to die on.

Not when you’re pumping up a guy who has only had 2 seasons with more than 8 wins in his 8 year career.
Why hasn’t anyone tried to hire him?

You and Bass seem to be the only one willing to die on that hill. Fine by us. It’s not Steele.
Nobody is dying on any hill, well except UT of course when they hire Steele.

No one wants that. But we’ve seen this movie before. “It’s not like last time, the AD is taking this seriously.” Or, “big money has come to the table. They aren’t taking no for an answer.” Etc. Etc. Only to hire Dooley, Butch, Schiano, and Pruitt. I don’t believe them anymore. Especially when we are going to hav sanctions now.

Everything we’re seeing is pointing to Steele. What head coach wants his entire defensive staff forced upon him? It’s Steele

Tennessee will have to ask coaches how much they would need to come here. With the current state of the program UT is going to have to overpay to get a coach unless it is someone who wants to be here under any circumstances. I know it has been mentioned that we have FU money, but that FU money for a coach is much more now than it would have been 6 months ago.

But Kevin Simon?

that’s where it gets weird
Not really. Already on staff as an analyst. Promoting him to an on-the-field coach gives him leeway to talk with the players and convince them to stay. If the next coach doesn't like the move, maybe he moves back to analyst. He's trying to help his alma mater not fall apart. That makes sense to me.

No one wants that. But we’ve seen this movie before. “It’s not like last time, the AD is taking this seriously.” Or, “big money has come to the table. They aren’t taking no for an answer.” Etc. Etc. Only to hire Dooley, Butch, Schiano, and Pruitt. I don’t believe them anymore. Especially when we are going to hav sanctions now.

Everything we’re seeing is pointing to Steele. What head coach wants his entire defensive staff forced upon him? It’s Steele

Exactly.

Hell, what if it’s Gus? And all the bad blood with Steele is BS?

He would without question trust Steele to hire defensive staff & handle player relations. He would also be willing to wait for everything to fall in place before being named since he’s not at another spot yet.

Most ADs would likely love Gus as a HC too, he’s got proven results & hasn’t stirred any pots with the NCAA etc.

Gus told them out front not to call.

If stoops has interest you have to hire him but the statement about wanting a coach for the next 10 years at minimum makes it hard for me to believe he’s the guy for that
I'm not worried about 10 years from now (although a 10 yr coach would be nice), I'm just concerned with the next 2-3 years at this point.

If we pay a search firm 120k to deliver us Kevin Steele we are accepting that we are now Vanderbilt.

Napier and Steele have coached together. It's probably going to take big money to get Napier to come in and clean this mess. I could see him being the guy, the search firm doing the due diligence, and in the meantime getting the start of staff moves on the defensive side of the ball in place.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I am not saying we're hiring Steele, I'm not at all.

But the same people who I talked to who told me we were firing Pruitt - something I never wavered on - are saying Steele is a very realistic outcome.

Regardless, it is very weird that we're allowing him to hire defensive coaches. Yes, Steele is a great defensive coordinator. Yes, Rodney Garner is a great defensive line coach. Sure, Kevin Simon is a VFL and qualified enough to coach linebackers here. All those things are true.

But, simply put, you have to allow your head coach to make these decisions. So maybe we do have someone lined up? Chadwell makes some sense - or a coach with Vol ties we've not thought about yet. But the fact you are hiring assistants for him before he gets here 1) means he's not putting his name on these hires and 2) sends a signal you already don't trust him enough to make his own staff decisions.

Then make the bet Eeyore

Reactions: Rizzo924
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back