Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said repeatedly why...I am not saying again.

PS: By the way I ****** hate the Haslams, and you are one of theirs according to your post the other day. Those f'n scumbags are to blame for all this hell. 🤬🤬🤬

Gilly... gonna need you to pump the breaks and take a deep breath. Just me and you talking here pal.

Let’s go over what we KNOW and whats really not even debatable. Pruitt was running this program into the ground... literally.just Ignore the results this year and all the things going on behind the scenes and the way Pruitt was handling himself and others... was ultimately going to end in complete failure. We would’ve been at the mercy of the NCAA within a year or two AT BEST.

Ok now let’s get to the field. In year 3 under Pruitt... who was supposed to be “an elite defensive mind” and teacher by trade.....(lol) we could not line up correctly on defense. There’s a reason why every single team we played attacked us in the same exact way and they did it over and over again. Middle of the field and in the flats. That is alignment issues because we were constantly lined up too deep or outside of inside breaking WRs/TEs. When we tried to play zone... our defenders that had outside leverage on the boundaries constantly creeped or peaked in which is why against Florida for example.... they probably threw 10 HB wheel routes. This is why we lossed to teams with inferior talent like Vanderbilt, GA State, Kentucky, etc. it’s also a reason why when we played actual good QBs ie: Missouri year 1... they absolutely carve us up because we are literally giving opponents easy throws

I’m not even going to bring up our offense lol.

Now, we are going to get an actual AD that does everything (not just football), knows how to build and run programs/teams. Our Boosters are basically hand picking the AD so now we will finally get to be ran like the elite programs where the money trusts the AD/Chancellor and they will let them do their jobs. It’s 1000x more likely we find success through that Avenue vs what we have been doing the last two decades.

This morning @matts42012 said the AD search is down to either Ingram or Gilbert. That is certainly the conventional wisdom, and Matts seems to have inside info so it may be the actual truth. If so, I think that our choices are what we think they are. But there does seem to be some chatter that Donde Plowman is the wildcard here. Basilio posted this morning the following:

I'm being told that UT Chancellor Donde Plowman is pushing back on rubber stamping any hire and wants to take her time in locating the right person for the job. To those that follow matters such as these it appeared that Gilbert's hire as the new AD would be a fait accompli. I guess we're learning here that Donde Plowman wants to put her stamp on UT athletics after this sordid mess that's unfolding on her watch.

The Tony Basilio Show

That coincides with some of the posts hinting that we may be looking at the AD's at ISU and UCF. If that is true, then it could broaden the potential coaching pool. I would have said there isn't a chance in hell we'd get Matt Campbell, but the only way I'd reconsider that is if we hired his AD from ISU.

I don't know much about the AD at UCF, but I worry about hiring coaches from the royalty of the G5 like UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, etc. Those programs tend to do well no matter who is coaching them, and it is very hit or miss when you hire coaches with good records at those programs. More specific to Josh Heupel, I think his offensive system has run its course. Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, Gus Malzahn, Butch Jones - the HUNH power spread seems to be bogging down as defenses have adjusted to it.

Personally, I am thinking the floor on this search is Chadwell or O'Brien with Steele and Garner on the defensive side. I will have no problem seeing the upside of either hire and will remain optimistic for at least 2-3 years to see how it works out. Others' mileage may vary on that approach.

Plowman is doing this correctly. While many of us would be happy with Ingram, you can't limit your hiring pool.

Think about it: Alabama's AD is Greg Byrne, and he has no affiliation with the school. He actually grew up out west. Florida's AD is Scott Stricklin, and he had no prior affiliation with the school. They got him to leave his alma mater and close ties with them (he's married to the daughter of one of the best basketball player's in MSU history).

Maybe they circle back to Ingram, but don't limit yourself. Except for Hart, we have hired 3 in-family in the last 20 years, and it's partly why we are in this situation.

Plowman is doing this correctly. While many of us would be happy with Ingram, you can't limit your hiring pool.

Think about it: Alabama's AD is Greg Byrne, and he has no affiliation with the school. He actually grew up out west. Florida's AD is Scott Stricklin, and he had no prior affiliation with the school. They got him to leave his alma mater and close ties with them (he's married to the daughter of one of the best basketball player's in MSU history).

Maybe they circle back to Ingram, but don't limit yourself. Except for Hart, we have hired 3 in-family in the last 20 years, and it's partly why we are in this situation.
Well said. We may lose an extra player or two as this thing drags out which sucks, but the longterm importance of getting this right far outweighs the benefit of doing it quickly.

As far as players entering the portal, most have already started class, so they'll likely be doing so at the end of the semester anyway, which will give the new coach time to try and keep them onboard. We all want this done quickly and all want it done right, but these things take time to do right.

Great post and I agree but many times administrators don’t understand how important time is in these cases. Hopefully she is full aware that time isn’t on her side

You and your Fleck love, lol.

tenor.gif

Not Kingston, but I interpreted that post as @Atlanta VOL saying he was confident enough in what he knows and who is helping move things behind the scenes that he knows he will like the hires for AD and HC. Maybe they weren’t officially hired at that point in time but that he knew the direction we were going.
My interpretation also.

Reactions: Geronimo and UTopia
Great post and I agree but many times administrators don’t understand how important time is in these cases. Hopefully she is full aware that time isn’t on her side

Yep, but she specifically referenced that in the PC. She said, "I know most of you want the coach to be hired first, but..." To me, the reference was clear that she understood timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back