Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now believe even after Pruitt is let go, a hire won't happen very quickly. At least a week or two imo. I think they want to do a complete search so maybe brace yourself for mcgoogles. I now think Chadwell is the favorite.

Also, I honestly believe if the fanbase would get out there and chant Freezes name and make some headlines, they would feel pressured to at least give it a look. Lane, not happening ever. Imo. Would be happy to eat my words but yeah it just isn't lol.

Last edited:
I'm reading Mark Nagi's book "Decade of Dysfunction," and he includes a very interesting and relevant quote from Mike Hamilton's resignation:

"'The last several years at UT have been marked by turmoil, fractures and the development of camps,' said Hamilton at the same podium where Phillip Fulmer wept two and a half years earlier. 'This is not healthy, nor is it productive for our university.'"

Sounds all too familiar, a decade later. So does talk about Bruce Pearl's recruiting infractions and firing for cause, Dooley's disdain for PR and speaking engagements, flirtations with Kevin Steele, and David Cutcliffe saying he would come back to his beloved university if he could bring his staff, and Hamilton denying it before hiring Dooley.

It is 2021, and we are still stuck in 2011. The decade of the Vols just means another decade of dysfunction. We are, in fact, only taking a bite out of our own asses.

Last edited:
I'm reading Mark Nagi's book "Decade of Dysfunction," and he includes a very interesting and relevant quote from Mike Hamilton's resignation:

"'The last several years at UT have been marked by turmoil, fractures and the development of camps,' said Hamilton at the same podium where Phillip Fulmer wept two and a half years earlier. 'This is not healthy, nor is it productive for our university.'"

Sounds all too familiar, a decade later. So does talk about Bruce Pearl's recruiting infractions and firing for cause, Dooley's disdain for PR and speaking engagements, flirtations with Kevin Steele, and David Cutcliffe saying he would come back to his beloved university if he could bring his staff, and Hamilton denying it before hiring Dooley.

It is 2021, and we are still stuck in 2011. The decade of the Vols just means another decade of dysfunction. We are, in fact, only taking a bite out of our own asses.
A strong AD fixes the problem by making his own decisions and letting the "factions" fall in line. But to be strong in the position, you need to make intelligent choices and compelling arguments, and you need to be able to unite. I question Fulmer's ability to do those things. Boosters will always use their money to try and gain sway, but the job of any AD is to make decisions that best benefit the university and its sports programs. It's not their job to appease boosters through poor decisions.

Also, IF there is a plan in place, which I don't believe there is because I think the university is just that reckless and incompetent, the AD needs to be sharing it with the current players because their futures are at stake.

Reactions: Vols4us
Also, IF there is a plan in place, which I don't believe there is because I think the university is just that reckless and incompetent, the AD needs to be sharing it with the current players because their futures are at stake.
Nah...... they are trying to keep them on campus and to get enrolled in classes.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Charles Davis is probably the most qualified person in our family to make the next hire. Dude has more contacts in the coaching industry than you can count. All that tv work he does the pre production meetings with the coaches the week before the game. I mean it’s like he has already interviewed and vetted most these guys by default. I would let him head it up

Agree totally plus he would make a FOOTBALL COACH hire not someone beholding to boosters/admin types.

Reactions: quadlee21
If that potential staff list is what they begin with, things might start looking up very quickly. Doesn’t Basilio know Chadwell personally? He interviewed him a few weeks ago and they spoke like they were well acquainted.

TB had Jamey on a few times throughout the season. They're familiar with one another

It’s such a weird feeling

I’ve been a fan for years, became obsessed with recruiting and that kind of tapered of the last two years. Now, I literally don’t care who transfers. I’m just not interested. The coaching drama is interesting to me but I’m really losing the more passionate aspects of my fandom
Exactly how I feel. I used to be bummed when an elite recruit chose someone else, and we thought we were getting him. Same if someone transferred out that we really needed to keep. Now, I’m just like...meh, whatever. I guess we have seen this play out so much that we know it all starts at the top, and quite frankly, everyone at the top sucks. Therefore, we know the actual decisions made will end up being another experiment as the head coach, and who knows if it works out or not, but in all likelihood it doesn’t, because as @InVOLuntary has said over and over, the HC position at Tennessee is not for someone to come and learn on the job. It requires someone seasoned and who has led other power 5 programs successfully. We never choose that route, so we continue to spiral downward in what seems never ending.

I would like to have a meeting with Boyd, Plowman, Fulmer, and the BOT to discuss why they're killing UT football, but I don't have a bazillion dollars to make them care. Someone hook me up with some booster money so I can whoop all their asses.

Please.
I think we should all form a large group, find out when they will all meet together, and bumrush the meeting. Only problem is that it will probably be a virtual meeting.

I wonder what, if anything, can be done to repair this situation. Going to have to get lucky with a coach who is super charismatic, genuine, loves UT and is also a winner. The winning part should come first, but it seems impossible to lure a big time proven winner with the current situation, so we have to hope and pray the winning follows.

I think Chadwell is our best hope. He checks all those boxes. He seems like such a genuinely cool dude and is definitely someone who wants to be at UT. If he were to win here, he could very well unite the higher ups. Which we so desperately need.

If that potential staff list is what they begin with, things might start looking up very quickly. Doesn’t Basilio know Chadwell personally? He interviewed him a few weeks ago and they spoke like they were well acquainted.

Could we at least get the staff list listed here ... time permitting ... for those of us who don't have time to do more than peruse VolNation?
Please and Thanks.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
Please tell me he would be interim for a week or 2 while we are making the hire official that we hopefully already have semi-locked down???

It was reported that he was basically here to keep things together in the event Pruitt was let go not actually be the HC. There’s always that possibility but right now I think he’s just an insurance policy since kids like to play for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back