Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it TN law that a state job must be vacant for 5 days before being filled? If so, would this prevent us from making a Texas type move?

Lane is literally the perfect hire. He is a great offensive mind. He can recruit well. He knows Tennessee well. He has been involved with two programs that have dealt with infractions. He has a ton of coaching connections. He isn’t afraid of a rebuild.

I know it would take something substantial but do whatever to get him here.

Lane is literally the perfect hire. He is a great offensive mind. He can recruit well. He knows Tennessee well. He has been involved with two programs that have dealt with infractions. He has a ton of coaching connections. He isn’t afraid of a rebuild.

Now you're talking. 6/36. If he leaves us swiftly again he owes us the full terms of his contract. Pair him with Steele and watch us win a Natty.

He’s been a head coach 4 times with a grand total of one success story. Championing his experience with infractions is a bizarre sell considering he got us into one. And the man is as intimate with Tennessee as much as the northern Californian that transplanted to Davidson County in 2016. Knows Tennessee.... Get outta here with that. Lane Kiffin. His team can’t cover a slant either.... Number 1 prerequisite for this job 😂 Sorry Wick, just don’t like or trust the guy. We’re not a destination job for him.

Now, but that depending upon severity of the investigation he could become a real possibility.
Assuming nothing major comes out of the investigation, I just don't see how he stays basically knowing they tried to cut his balls off. That would be a bigtime awkward situation..

Reactions: PolkVol
He’s been a head coach 4 times with a grand total of one success story. Championing his experience with infractions is a bizarre sell considering he got us into one. And the man is as intimate with Tennessee as much as the northern Californian that transplanted to Davidson County in 2016. Knows Tennessee.... Get outta here with that. Lane Kiffin. His team can’t cover a slant either.... Number 1 prerequisite for this job 😂 Sorry Wick, just don’t like or trust the guy. We’re not a destination job for him.
In some ways, I can't help but wonder if we are a destination job for him now? I spent plenty of time pissed at Kiffin for how he did us, but he's shown an odd obsession with Tennessee since getting dumped by USC. I can't help but wonder if he regrets what he did? And the guy knows offense. But yeah, I understand why Tennessee fans would be wary, and even pissed for what he did. I do think he could be a good coach though, as long as he had a good DC. I expect he's gonna do okay at Ole Miss once he gets the defense addressed.

This is sad:

"Reggie McKenzie is a past NFL Executive of the year ... He doesn't get contacted when we have openings. Charles Davis wears his Tennessee pride literally on his sleeve yet has told me that he would love to offer a hand in finding a coach yet his opinion has never been sought."
Am I missing something? Why should they ask them?

Why stop there? We asking Ainge and Swain? Why not just ask all former Vol football players? Hell, let's just put it to a vote for all alumni?

The AD is a joke but it isn't a democracy. There's no reason the person in charge should be obliged to consult some arbitrary list of people just because they support the university.

Knows Tennessee as in the university. That’s fine if you don’t agree, but he would be the best realistic option available (as in they would actually come).

Why stop there? We asking Ainge and Swain? Why not just ask all former Vol football players? Hell, let's just put it to a vote for all alumni?

The AD is a joke but it isn't a democracy. There's no reason the person in charge should be obliged to consult some arbitrary list of people just because they support the university.
Fulmer was consulted before he was ever AD. Peyton gets consulted even now. So how do we determine which former Vols get asked for an opinion?

Because those two are uniquely entrenched in coaching circles and their input would be very valuable if used properly. They wouldn't make the decisions, but their advice should be asked and for and considered.

Fulmer was consulted before he was ever AD. Peyton gets consulted even now. So how do we determine which former Vols get asked for an opinion?
Simple. "We" don't. The person or persons in charge consult or don't consult whoever they want. Hopefully they talk to people who will help them make the best decision. But at the end of the day, it is THEIR decision. Peyton gets consulted, yet I don't see anyone here blaming the Pruitt hire on him. Decision making and responsibility is a sword that cuts two ways. I wouldn't be so harsh on those that make the hires and then also act like they must consult the village elders before making any decisions. That isn't how an organization like UT is run.

Because those two are uniquely entrenched in coaching circles and their input would be very valuable if used properly. They wouldn't make the decisions, but their advice should be asked and for and considered.
I don't think there is any reason to assume there are any coaching circles that the sitting AD at Tennessee doesn't have access to. We are talking about advice here, not getting so and so's phone number.

Knows Tennessee as in the university. That’s fine if you don’t agree, but he would be the best realistic option available (as in they would actually come).
My question is not do fans or others in the sports world think it is a good idea, but does anyone in the athletic department or any boosters think so. I just don't see them willing to take him back unless he has been working for years behind the scenes trying to convince them that he has changed and would never leave for something he thought was better. Maybe not even then.

I don't think there is any reason to assume there are any coaching circles that the sitting AD at Tennessee doesn't have access to. We are talking about advice here, not getting so and so's phone number.
I would think any AD at a program would seek the professional advice of an executive in charge of evaluating and hiring/firing coaches and a personality who works with and gets info from coaches on a daily basis to better do their job. The fact that they also have an historical tie, and still support the University would make their opinion even more valuable to me, if for nothing else to bounce my thoughts off of, to get a different perspective.

This is what highly successful people do and typically have in common. Never hurts to self evaluate and network on decisions. Notice I said highly successful people? Perhaps this is a part of what explains our failures over the years?

And it's not about having access to, it's about perspective and angles. The more you get the clearer a picture you have of your candidates.

Last edited:
honestly tho.. the buzz with him maybe going to texas as DC hitting today of all days. the day before he interviews. yea. he gone.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back