Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Journalism is still a solid career path if you're upper crust and well connected, but Average Joes will end up making zilch at local newspapers or writing for some online blog rag for peanuts.
Yeah, I admire the profession, especially considering our current political climate. You've gotta be ready to not make any money for a while and be content and committed to the work. That usually only works for people who can depend on their families for money starting out.

Reactions: Aesius
I think Fulmer thought Pruitt was sprinkled with Saban pixie dust. And Fulmer was probably driven by his own bias-- that a great coordinator could transition to a great HC, especially with his help and guidance. UT has learned a costly lesson-- this rebuild needs someone with HC experience and success. And someone who can assemble and keep an elite staff, instead of overpaying guys to underachieve.
On paper, Pruitt staff hires looked promising. In field, not so much.

His inability to assemble a staff that can develop the players...
1606766907395.gif

My take on Pruitt and ultimately the biggest flag I see is how he's stuck by two of his buddy's despite them appearing to be absolutely trash at player development & coaching their position groups. (Friend/Weinke)

Weinke I guess recruits well, but we've not seen any growth from any QB that he's had time with. He recruits well and I do think once the transition happens and HB is giving the offense fully you'll see better results, once you "hit" on a great QB you see how easy being a HC can be.

Dabo landed Watson/Lawrence and look where he is now
Urban had Alex Smith, Tebow, Barrett, Jones (damn good at finding elite QBs and getting out of their way)
Fulmer had Peyton & Casey for the bulk of his successful seasons

I mean it's a small sample size, but what I saw from HB against Auburn tells me he's definitely good enough to win you games and I don't think he's going to be JG bad where he outright loses you games. Still would like to see Chaney or Tee handle QBs moving forward and Weinke shown the door.

Friend is more obvious imo, way overpaid and despite having the most talented group the on-field product still seems to be struggling.
Agree with all of this, but it also seems obvious he does not have the temperament and decision-making ability to lead a program like this.

As I've said before, it's also pretty clear he is trying to teach Saban concepts without Saban's teaching ability.

I have been told several time Freeze and Fulmer hate each other to the point they don’t speak. Neither will have anything to do with the other. Also that Fulmer sits in on position meetings which the coaches don’t appreciate and the refusal to take pay cuts was directed more to Fulmer Any thoughts on either of these ?

-AP
1606767034263.gif

Yeah, I admire the profession, especially considering our current political climate. You've gotta be ready to not make any money for a while and be content and committed to the work. That usually only works for people who can depend on their families for money starting out.

Agreed. It's definitely one of those careers that doesn't feel like work if you enjoy writing and telling stories. I know that I'd rather have Word open all day instead of Excel or Access, lol.

Journalism is still a solid career path if you're upper crust and well connected, but Average Joes will end up making zilch at local newspapers or writing for some online blog rag for peanuts.
Multiply degreed in Communications. Journalism was fun, specifically Comm Law. Looked at Law school after school. Back in our day, there was 0 loan forgiveness. No way was going to take on $100K in debt for that.

Reactions: Aesius
You can tell by his press conference that coach Pruitt is stressed out and frustrated. He's about had it.

I respect many posters' opinions on here (some of them want to be rid of Pruitt after this season). As for me, I believe he should get more time. The guy can recruit and there's a really good class coming in to join plenty of good underclassmen talent. Is Pruitt flawed? Yeah, he could be playing younger guys alot more. Seems that the season-to-date has come down to: dreadful loss at home to Kentucky; Georgia second half; Arkansas second half; Auburn second half. There's a common denominator in much of those games (JG interceptions), but also, poor pass blocking, 3rd down conversions by our defense. Pruitt and staff deserve some blame for that. If we change out some assistants, groom Bailey, and bring in another great class, it feels like the future is really good. Whaddya think?

What do I think? I think the Vols have poked some gaping holes in that old adage that says, "Hope springs eternal." Right now, I have to dig really deep to find even the faintest glimmer of it.

Agree with all of this, but it also seems obvious he does not have the temperament and decision-making ability to lead a program like this.

As I've said before, it's also pretty clear he is trying to teach Saban concepts without Saban's teaching ability.

Yeah agreed. I feel like the best head coaches are either elite teachers or elite at finding them. Cause end of the day you can have all the high rated recruits ya want, but without the ability to teach them you'll get awful results. One reason so many of Butch's guys seemed to find their stride in the NFL, they finally got real teaching and exploded.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
True journalism died many years ago.

John Feinstein on the Midday 180 in Nashville started talking about Scott Frost at Nebraska. He is 10-19 in his almost three years at Nebraska.....Pruitt's record is quite a bit better than that even after losing to GA State and BYU and playing in a hard division/conference. They also pointed out that he won more games in his final year at UCF than his entire tenure at Nebraska.

But they probably won't fire him this year because of who he is historically at Nebraska. This is what I'm afraid would happen with Tee and Tennessee.
Frost has earned extra time to turn a program around because he's proven he can do it elsewhere. Will he get it done? Doesn't look like it. But I think VN would be a lot more forgiving of Pruitt, and more understanding of the covid problems this team has had, if Pruitt had any previous success as a HC like Frost has.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Frost has earned extra time to turn a program around because he's proven he can do it elsewhere. Will he get it done? Doesn't look like it. But I think VN would be a lot more forgiving of Pruitt, and more understanding of the covid problems this team has had, if Pruitt had any previous success as a HC like Frost has.

I think most of the fanbase was "out" when we saw the back to back to back blowouts. It's not like we're playing Georgia & Alabama every week. No one would have predicted we'd have lost 5 games all by double digits BEFORE we even faced Florida and A&M.

Honestly for me Pruitt broke me in that KY game. I'm not sure if it was that he just stuck with JG or that he immediately pulled JT after doing the same **** he seems to give JG passes for doing.

Did a good job at Syracuse back in the early 2010s. 2 8-5 seasons after years of being piss poor. Tons of NFL experience. I believe he could hire a great coaching staff similar to Herm Edwards at ASU. Plus he's not in the twilight of his career just yet. He's 56 years old. Also I would never even consider him a viable candidate if not for his previous relationship with Fulmer. I'm not saying he would be a home run but he would probably get Tennessee back to at least 8 and 9 win seasons. He would need to hire some recruiters though but that shouldn't be a problem. Every head coach post Fulmer has at least had respectable recruiting classes. UT still recruits itself. Just needs the right head man to put everything else into motion. Winning being priority #1.
If UT recruits itself, why the hell don't we have 20 five star guys on the team? UT does not recruit itself-----------damn.

FTR Vandy’s punter kicked in HS...

It was clearly a publicity stunt. I didn't get the whole deal over it really. There's been female kickers before and they were a lot better than the one Vandy just fielded. There's no need to criticize either really, she kicked one kick and it was bad but they lost 41-0 and no one would criticize the one kickoff they had in a 41-0 game. No one would interview the kicker of the losing team in that game either but I get it somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back