Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 doesn't do much when our competition is in the top 8 normally. We don't recruit well on a national scene. It's like in the Blindsided movie Fulmer came pretty much all other coaches gave up. We know we don't stand a chance when Clemson, UGA, Bama, UF, and OSU wants a kid 95% of the time. We got to a point where we were going 50/50 with Aub under Pruitt, but we have been recruiting against USCjr, UK, and Aub more times than not. We are in the SEC so we have pull, but we don't have the pull to get top talent on selling UT which is what I was responding to. We know why we were going 50/50 with Aub now also.
i think that if you're expecting TN to be competing with GA, Bama, FL, LSU right now, just because 'we're tennessee' your expectations are just misplaced.

and that's not what i was getting at anyway.

"recruiting itself" to a top 15 class on some kind of regular basis is still something. what that tells you is if you can fix those other two things on my list, you likely have the ability to close the gap from top 15 to becoming top 8 or better, maybe faster than some other programs that aren't hitting in that top 15ish on a regular basis.

there's maybe a 1/2 dozen schools right now that can realistically start any recruiting cycle with a legit expectation of being a top 5 class or better....consistently.

that we're not one of them right now isn't an indictment on the program's ability to 'recruit itself'.

the fact we've recruited as well as we have, in spite of ourselves, is evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: UT = Checkmate
this kind of stuff goes on at most programs that have change. so it's not not really new or anything. i think the issue for us as fans is just some of the names on the list....gray, lawrence, morris, crouch, to'oto'o....all big time names that we all immediately looked to as the foundation the program would be built on from a talent level standpoint.....

now they're all gone, or all but gone......and we're starting over, again. in some ways, i'm glad they all left, because it really leaves no room for doubt as to what the situation is, and where this new staff is starting from....the cupboard isn't as "full" as many would have thought it to be when/if Pruitt left, so there's a certain comfort in knowing that whatever this staff does, good or bad, it'll be theirs. and that it will yet again take some time to find out....especially on defense. good news, for an offensive minded staff, there IS some talent on that side of the ball to work with, and we seemingly have good options going forward at QB....

but obviously, i'd rather have as much quality talent on the field as possible, so starting from behind the 8 ball in any fashion sucks. lol. it really can't be argued that this team would not be better if those guys named above were still on the roster.........

We definitely would have been better if some had stayed. It's going to be hard to plug all the gaps.

The oppressive negativity just sucked the joy out of it for some. And their attitudes bring down others. Some like WM and JJ were 100% happening. Others might have stayed if they'd waited for the new staff. Brooks and Brown wanted to go. Brown was always shaky, but losing Brooks stings. Those who can't reboot will weed themselves out. And we'll grind it out with what we have-- and see if we can pick up a few more transfers.

We definitely would have been better if some had stayed. It's going to be hard to plug all the gaps.

The oppressive negativity just sucked the joy out of it for some. And their attitudes bring down others. Some like WM and JJ were 100% happening. Others might have stayed if they'd waited for the new staff. Brooks and Brown wanted to go. Brown was always shaky, but losing Brooks stings. Those who can't reboot will weed themselves out. And we'll grind it out with what we have-- and see if we can pick up a few more transfers.

The fact 72% of the kids in the portal don't have spots (740+ kids), I feel like we'll see quite a few incoming to help offset '21 losses as well as get us closer to the 85 limit.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
For those of you that hate pop ups and clicking links...🤲🏽🧡🤍 my gift for you

Jean-Mary arrives in Ann Arbor as a 21-year coaching veteran having spent the last 10 seasons on the defensive staffs of Charlie Strong, first at Louisville (2010-13) as assistant head coach/linebackers coach, then at Texas (2014-16) as linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator, and finally at USF (2017-19).
As a recruiter, Jean-Mary helped produce a trio of top-15 signing classes at Texas, improving from 15th in 2014 to seventh in 2015 and eighth in 2016, and one at Georgia Tech (15th, 2007). He also had a top-30 class at Louisville in 2011 (27th).
At USF, Jean-Mary's defensive units were consistently among the nation's best in turnovers created, tackles for loss, and pass defense. In his first year, USF listed top-25 nationally in six categories, including sacks per game (3.0, 11th) and interceptions (20, second). The Bulls led The American Conference in total defense (359.8 yards per game) and scoring defense (21.5 points per game), improving from 120th in total defense and 92nd in scoring defense to 37th and 41st, respectively, after Jean-Mary's arrival. Defensive tackle Deadrin Senat was one of five all-conference defenders before being drafted in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
USF collected forced 69 turnovers across Jean-Mary's three seasons (24, 21, 24) and ranked top-30 in that area twice. The Bulls also ranked top-five in tackles for loss per game twice (8.4 and 8.3 per game in 2017, '19) and ranked No. 4 in red zone defense in 2019 (67.4 percent).
At Texas, Jean-Mary developed the linebacking core to produce four All-Big 12 players and an All-American in Jordan Hicks (2014). Texas was top-25 nationally in six categories in 2014, including sacks (11th). The Longhorns averaged more than 3.0 sacks per game in all three years Jean-Mary was at Texas, ranking top-five nationally in his last two seasons. UT also led the nation in recovered fumbles (21) in 2014 and ranked 11th in 2015 (12). Linebacker Jordan Hicks was selected in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft, and Jean-Mary's former players Lorenzo Mauldin and Deiontrez Mount (from his days at Louisville) were also chosen.”

WM always seemed like a really fun, affable, passionate guy, but I could also see where if things went south all that passion and energy would turn sour quickly.

i think Henry will wind up in the NFL no matter what. at this point, i think he realizes he's on a clock for what he would like to accomplish in college, and that clock will run out at TN. that's really it. if he goes to Bama or Clemson or a program of that ilk, he doesn't hurt his NFL chances at all, and does dramatically improve his chances of participating on a championship level team.

i don't blame him. but i would really like it better if he stayed. being totally selfish here, there's no real downside to his overall future prospects by staying. he does give up any real hope of a championship.

but he gains the chance of being a TN favorite, potentially 'legend'...would be an automatic leader on this team, and would probably be one of, if not the, best player in the locker room, and thus, get a ton of attention week to week....there's something to be said for leaving your mark someplace, and he'd do that here. probably not so much some place else.

but either way....i can't say i blame him.

Not literally arguing, but I'd argue that he does hurt his NFL chances, because Bama is loaded at every position, even moreso than ever before, and it's not guaranteed he'll start (not that I'm an expert on their roster, nor am I going to do a deep dive into it ... JMO).

True, he no doubt winds up in the NFL, but if he stays and plays does he get a higher pick, than if he goes and plays some?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do wish he'd stay, but, as you said, who can blame him.

The fact 72% of the kids in the portal don't have spots (740+ kids), I feel like we'll see quite a few incoming to help offset '21 losses as well as get us closer to the 85 limit.

The ones that land quickly usually know where they're going. So much stuff goes on behind the scenes, with players recruiting for coaches and other players luring teammates to come with. That cost us a few guys.

And some portalers won't get the chance to go back so they'll end up without a spot.

Wait, are we talking guitarist, wrassler, or LB coach? I can't keep up.

tenor.gif

hPdtwub.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back