Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d imagine within you guys circles, y’all don’t understand the feelings outside of the program.
There is a feeling that Tennessee has a ways to go when it comes to being inclusive.
No one wants to talk about it without angry accusations or scoffing at it but it’s real.
when kids are discouraged from coming here, high character coaches are told stay away, it’s a PROBLEM.

I am a strength coach, I’ve helped with camps for about 7 years down here. when I ask kids or mention Tennessee, the prevalent answers are they feel unwelcome.
I’ve mentioned this before but One of the top, if not the top QB coaches in America has nothing but bad things to say about the university.

So a new AD coming in and letting it be know that “you’re” important, will be included, and can thrive here is pretty important message to get across when the overall feeling hasn’t been that

(and when I say “feeling”, this is coming from parents, kids, other coaches)

Me, Being a lifelong Tennessee fan who’s black gives me a little different perspective.
when I’m rocking my T gear, I often get scrunched faces & asked “Tennessee? What!?!”

So to answer what does this have to do with coaching, it has to do with opening doors that were closing on us.
by no means am I taking the Haynesworth route and going on a race rage, I’m just pointing out that there is bad feeling out there
And Fat Albert is on one extreme and the people who claim “there are no issues like that here” are on the other end of the extreme.
🤜🏾🤛🏻

appreciate you sharing that perspective. Speaking rhetorically, I wonder if that perception is true and deserved or if it’s a stereotype the anti-Tennessee folks used to tear down the giant. Hoping better days are ahead. Certainly feels different.

I’d imagine within you guys circles, y’all don’t understand the feelings outside of the program.
There is a feeling that Tennessee has a ways to go when it comes to being inclusive.
No one wants to talk about it without angry accusations or scoffing at it but it’s real.
when kids are discouraged from coming here, high character coaches are told stay away, it’s a PROBLEM.

I am a strength coach, I’ve helped with camps for about 7 years down here. when I ask kids or mention Tennessee, the prevalent answers are they feel unwelcome.
I’ve mentioned this before but One of the top, if not the top QB coaches in America has nothing but bad things to say about the university.

So a new AD coming in and letting it be know that “you’re” important, will be included, and can thrive here is pretty important message to get across when the overall feeling hasn’t been that

Me, Being a lifelong Tennessee fan who’s black gives me a little different perspective.
when I’m rocking my T gear, I often get scrunched faces & asked “Tennessee? What!?!”

So to answer what does this have to do with coaching, it has to do with opening doors that were closing on us.
by no means am I taking the Haynesworth route and going on a race rage, I’m just pointing out that there is bad feeling out there
And Fat Albert is on one extreme and the people who claim “there are no issues like that here” are on the other end of the extreme.
🤜🏾🤛🏻
Alright, I can respect this perspective. I didnt realize this perception was out there. But shouldn't Danny White let Heupel hire the guy he wants? It seems counterintuitive for an AD to interfere like that.

Sooo, WTF is going on in here? Been busy all day. Finally got a new job.. 🕺🕺 Good grief, what a long drought... We hire anyone else? Have the wheels come off? Are they wobbling? Any good, new rumors?
Congrats on the new job
Some of the lug nuts may be a little loose but the wheels are still on

🤜🏾🤛🏻

look it really doesn’t matter what “side”
Of this you are on. You can believe those that feel like Tenn isn’t inclusive enough are blowing things out of proportion or you can believe Tenn really isn’t inclusive enough and it doesn’t matter

What matters is the reputation many feel we have and it cost us players and that must be fixed somehow

Alright, I can respect this perspective. I didnt realize this perception was out there. But shouldn't Danny White let Heupel hire the guy he wants? It seems counterintuitive for an AD to interfere like that.
I’m not sure what’s going on, but I completely believe Heupel is in on the search.

I interned at UCF post grad in sports performance program/ athletic department and everything White did was for the betterment of the entire program.

I’ve had a busy work week, so I’m behind on this thread. Where are all these unfounded rumors about DW meddling in the staff coming from? Why would Heupel follow DW to TN if he thought White would be hard to work with? This doesn’t make any sense.
Because they’re unfounded

🤜🏾🤛🏻

You posted a lot of things without saying much. There is no reason to make it known that you need diversity in a coaching staff. Skin color is irrelevant.

If we had an entire staff full of black coaches, as long as they can coach, most wouldn’t care. Stop bringing skin color into every single aspect of things. You don’t see people complaining about the disproportionate amount of white football players do you? No you don’t.

One major problem in this country is some want to reduce everything down to color of skin. It’s ridiculous and weak.

Reactions: GoVols15

🤜🏾🤛🏻

I understand the best I can where you are coming from but how do these kids feel about Ala. They have just hired coaches from the NFL placed in key positions and none were minorities and they say Saban has assembled a All Star staff with no mention of diversity but UT is automatically doing the wrong thing just trying to assemble a staff and many of the candidates that turned down both the HC and DC jobs are minorities.

We are comparing apple to apples here as well. Two state schools, in the SEC, with huge budgets, national brand and rabid fan bases. One just happens to be in better spot as far as winning and visibility right now but we both have been there and both are recruiting the same kids. So how are they viewed by those kids. Is it about maybe giving them a better chance to play on Sunday right now or by the diversity of their staff ? I am just wondering.

I agree--- the point I was making was there are plenty of RB coaches out there who've actually played the position at a high level that would love to come here and coach... yet we pick a former WR who's been an OC at a small school to come coach a position he's never played when there are other options out there.... I mentioned Hardesty because he checks both boxes... there are probably more experienced RB coaches than Hardesty and I'd take them anytime over Mack. If they just picked him up for recruiting, then we've got bigger issues going on in the background.
Agree and I see where most teams do utilize a RB to coach that position. I am not sure why but if it works out then maybe there is more to this coach then we know/think maybe. I guess will see

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back