Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear we may not be able field an even mediocre defense next year no matter who the coach is...I hope I am wrong and we actually had lot of talent was just mismanaged, misused or unused.

I do think there is some talent in the secondary that has been poorly developed and poorly utilized. The d line and linebackers just aren't very good, though, I'm afraid. Maybe we'll get lucky enough to land some decent transfers that can help in those areas.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
That was when I realized how good burrows was. He threw a pick 6 and got absolutely globbered on the return. I think he had a bloody face from the hit. After that hit he went nuts and didn't stop til he got to the NFL 2 years later. Haha. UCF knocked him into the zone. UCF was up 14-3 at that point. I was at that game. Was a great game.
Forgot about that. He really didn't look back after that.

Reactions: SoilVol and Sleegro
The issue I have with all these offenses going back to the Mumme days has always been that if your QB, or your OL to a degree, has an off game...you're team is screwed. The guys that have QBs that have the fewest off days are the ones that win big.

I do wish that Heupel used the QB run a little more, but he seems to evolve his offense as needed for the talent available so that may be a moot point.

Either way..we are going to score points, and move the ball better most of the time, and that is a great thing.

Outside of your QB just having one of those bad days...Anytime you face a really good athletic defense it is going to be harder to do work.
For sure. JH offense is similar to leach in terms of not needing an elite QB to score points. Every year TTU was having a 4000/5000 yard passer but how many of them ever got drafted and was actually a good QB?

Gabriel put up better stats than Milton but the UCF team was better under Milton in 2018 even while having a better defense in 2019. Will Bailey/Salter just be a stat padder or can they elevate the JH offense? We’ll see

Danny White hasn't even been on the job for 2 weeks. He has no clue who he can trust. Once he does there will be selected leaks just like there always is.

I was thinking about Heupel's lack of recruiting prowess. Here's some numbers worth considering: 59, 49, and 50.

Those are the Rivals (I know, not infallible) team rankings for Cincinnati during the time Butch Jones was their coach. Butch comes to UT capitalizes on a great in state class and gets multiple top 10 classes.

Tennessee will recruit itself and if, if Heupel shows much of a pulse, he will get enough players to get UT back to going to bowl games which is all we can realistically hope for in the next few years.

Come on Heupel and company, get Ty Simpson, get 10 or more of the guys from in state this year and build UT back. Top 20 classes until Heupel starts winning and if he does top 10 classes will come.

I've told this story before, but it's my one and only insider info. A few years after Mike took the titans job, I got a chance to talk to him. Told him my dad was a huge fan of him when I was growing up, and we were devastated he took the titans job instead of taking Ward's place. He said they never even gave him a chance to get that job, but if they had, he'd have taken it in a heartbeat and never looked at the titans.

They never even considered him over Kesling, didn't even talk to him about it!!! That was mind blowing to me. That was the first time I realized that the UT AD had some issues.
I thought Kesling had some kind of ownership in a media company and that was his way into the job. Could be wrong because that was a long time ago.

If you smell smoke flames are nearby. He’s not gonna make it at this rate.
BS, we have the worst sports media ever. No one ever stands up to them so they just keep rolling out bad take after bad take, lie after lie. I’m glad he’s calling them out. I hope he keeps doing it because they are as bad of a problem with our culture as the culture itself.

Lol..naw I don't think like that either...but hell man, we collectively crap all over everything, at some point we have to stop doing that and be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

It is going to take a herculean effort to fix this mess...from all of us. We could start by being a more positive and patient for a change.
I realize one thing I can do: I can stop getting in the mud with the trolls, the negative, the miserable...calling them out, and going back and forth with them. I/we don't feed them, they go away, ignored.

It's bad to do it here, VolNation; but, whenever those backs and forths are on social media, especially in a prospect's/player's threads or stories or tweets...it looks hella bad. I'm not on social media, so I don't do it there, doing it here is bad enough.

So...gonna try and stay out of the the mud, the muck. Not gonna feed, gonna ignore. No more back and forths. Damn, this is going to be tough, as I consider myself a word ninja; and, I must admit, I enjoy slaying those who are negative and miserable, just for the sake of being negative and miserable. And, trolls......sh!!!!!!!t, don't even get me started about how much I love to talk sh!t to Bammers, still and always...just not on here, or social media.

Last edited:
I thought Kesling had some kind of ownership in a media company and that was his way into the job. Could be wrong because that was a long time ago.
He was a local sports anchor is all I remember. I didn't mind his hire until the first game I heard a few years into his tenure and I was like, "this guy is messing up everything!" My favorite was HE COMPLETES A DEEP OUT ROUTE FOR A 3 YARD GAIN." He's so bad about painting a picture and describing what's happening.

That was when I realized how good burrows was. He threw a pick 6 and got absolutely globbered on the return. I think he had a bloody face from the hit. After that hit he went nuts and didn't stop til he got to the NFL 2 years later. Haha. UCF knocked him into the zone. UCF was up 14-3 at that point. I was at that game. Was a great game.
Yep..I remember that..it is strange that hit did seem to flip a switch in him. He played so far out of his mind last year..it is almost unnatural.

Danny White hasn't even been on the job for 2 weeks. He has no clue who he can trust. Once he does there will be selected leaks just like there always is.

I was thinking about Heupel's lack of recruiting prowess. Here's some numbers worth considering: 59, 49, and 50.

Those are the Rivals (I know, not infallible) team rankings for Cincinnati during the time Butch Jones was their coach. Butch comes to UT capitalizes on a great in state class and gets multiple top 10 classes.

Tennessee will recruit itself and if, if Heupel shows much of a pulse, he will get enough players to get UT back to going to bowl games which is all we can realistically hope for in the next few years.

Come on Heupel and company, get Ty Simpson, get 10 or more of the guys from in state this year and build UT back. Top 20 classes until Heupel starts winning and if he does top 10 classes will come.
Yeah if Heupel can get us back to 7-5/8-4, then the recruiting will come. No doubt about it.

For sure. JH offense is similar to leach in terms of not needing an elite QB to score points. Every year TTU was having a 4000/5000 yard passer but how many of them ever got drafted and was actually a good QB?

Gabriel put up better stats than Milton but the UCF team was better under Milton in 2018 even while having a better defense in 2019. Will Bailey/Salter just be a stat padder or can they elevate the JH offense? We’ll see
The drop-off with Gabriel had a lot to do with him being a true freshman an true sophomore under Heupel. And drop-off is probably a strong word. The biggest issues with Gabriel were in the redzone. Which is something young QBs tend to struggle with. And I think Milton was a better team leader. But I don't recall any QBs that have ever struggled under Heupel for more than a game going back to Oklahoma.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Yep..I remember that..it is strange that hit did seem to flip a switch in him. He played so far out of his mind last year..it is almost unnatural.
It's a thing of beauty, whenever a player gets into a zone like that, especially in football. Manning use to get into zones in the NFL, and it was like...he could have done it blindfolded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back