Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still buzz out there we walked away from Franklin because he demanded "too much money" I wonder if it's true after we were told "money isn't an issue" what would too much money be
If we are packaging a very one sided buyout and he kept upping it to an amount that would be crippling for too long then sure. That would make sense.

We're paying Josh Heupel 4 mill over 6 years(at least) and you think that's not overpaying?!

Not at all, paying a 28-8 HC with P5 ties as an OC the same thing Mizzou ponied up for a dude with 1 year under his belt who didn't even know what conference they were competing in when he repeated his previous new hire speech from App State is a steal of a deal.

We're paying Josh Heupel 4 mill over 6 years(at least) and you think that's not overpaying?!

Whoever we got was going to be overpaid compared to their market value, but there wasn't much way we were going to be paying anyone much less than that. If we had gotten a bigger name, we certainly could have spent twice that amount.

We nuked our program because we were too cheap to pay a 12 million dollar buyout so that we could pay a guy that was about to be fired the same salary as the guy we just fired, but now we have to pay that for twice as long as we would have had to pay the guy we just fired.

It's comical. Our boosters are the dumbest rich people in the history of money and people.

Here's the thing we all gotta remember, opening a checkbook doesn't solve all your problems.

I'm sure Danny had the ability to go for big fish, and likely did vet some. But he's also not going to overpay someone just cause he can. I like what he did, and I like it more that he didn't rush to do it. I believe him when he says they didn't start out with Heupel as an option, and he realized through the process of vetting and interviewing other candidates that the best hire right now was Josh.

Unlike Elliott, Heupel has been a successful OC at multiple stops and Mizzou didn't have the talent Clemson does. He also had 3 years as a HC and lesser talent to show his system can/does put up the numbers regardless of talent level. Until Elliott steps out of Dabo's shadow, do we really know if he can put up those numbers with his system -anywhere- ? I mean Pruitt couldn't replicate what he's done as a DC with lesser talent, and his dropoff from FSU/GA/Alabama to what UT has isn't anywhere near as steep as Clemson to UCF is.
i think for the first time in a while, we actually had a competent process play out. i don't think we got the result we were after, that's obvious. but there was a plan....and they executed it. that's really all you can ask for and after the circus that was 2017, and really same goes for the post Dooley search (anyone remember Hart letting Charlie Strong leave, w/a supposed deal "done" only to find out a day later, he decdided to stay in Louisville? having to catch Jones at the last minute before he inked his deal wtih Colorado?

i mean, relatively speaking....results set aside...the process of this one seems to have gone a lot better than the last two for sure....and i'd say it went way better than the one that resulted in Dooley as well....where it was literally "dial for coaches" until someone said yes...lol.

anyway, taking all things into consideration regarding our current set of circumstances, i'm going to say that this could have, and would have, wound up WAY worse had we gone thru this with any of the previous leadership groups that had searches on their watch.

that doesn't mean the results change, of course. but, it does feel like a new day....so that's something....i hope he does great, and i've no reason to think he can't....just gonna be a little patient and see what they can do.

Where we are now is starting over with a coach that knows offensive football, so at least watching games won’t be as painful as pulling teeth like it was with Pruitt.
So No I don’t think anyone can understand why we would want a Defensive minded coach that had an offense and defense that sucked and watching games was like watching paint dry over virtually anyone!
I think we can all agree that life without sanctions and a looming full NCAA investigation, even if that meant Pruitt was still here, would have been a better outcome here.
I like the hire myself but outside of having all allegations dismissed and no ramifications, it will be difficult for a few years.

Lebby may be in play for UCF. Either way doubt he leaves ole miss unless it’s for a HC gig. Kiff seems like an awesome boss. Like he’s such a wild card I can’t imagine he is incredibly demanding of his staff like other more rigid coaches
Didn't someone say LK called plays?

Whoever we got was going to be overpaid compared to their market value, but there wasn't much way we were going to be paying anyone much less than that. If we had gotten a bigger name, we certainly could have spent twice that amount.
We didn't have to hire anyone. We already had an interim coach.

i think for the first time in a while, we actually had a competent process play out. i don't think we got the result we were after, that's obvious. but there was a plan....and they executed it. that's really all you can ask for and after the circus that was 2017, and really same goes for the post Dooley search (anyone remember Hart letting Charlie Strong leave, w/a supposed deal "done" only to find out a day later, he decdided to stay in Louisville? having to catch Jones at the last minute before he inked his deal wtih Colorado?

i mean, relatively speaking....results set aside...the process of this one seems to have gone a lot better than the last two for sure....and i'd say it went way better than the one that resulted in Dooley as well....where it was literally "dial for coaches" until someone said yes...lol.

anyway, taking all things into consideration regarding our current set of circumstances, i'm going to say that this could have, and would have, wound up WAY worse had we gone thru this with any of the previous leadership groups that had searches on their watch.

that doesn't mean the results change, of course. but, it does feel like a new day....so that's something....i hope he does great, and i've no reason to think he can't....just gonna be a little patient and see what they can do.
Definitely

Reactions: jakez4ut
Want to apologize to @Bassmaster_Vol and @drvenner along with the rest of VN for my brash attitude and hateful words last night.

I am not pleased with this hire, but if it's the only one we could have gotten then there's nothing to bitch about.

I was indeed a moran and went full retard.

RecklessPlainBarnacle-max-1mb.gif

Still buzz out there we walked away from Franklin because he demanded "too much money" I wonder if it's true after we were told "money isn't an issue" what would too much money be
i think that's just going to boil down to a choice of whether you want to believe that narrative or not....i don't see the benefit for TN or Franklin in letting that little nugget free.....

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back