Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice speech, but after 15 years of believing we were gonna get it right, I don't have it in me to leap blindly anymore. Is White better than Fulmer? Probably. Did he impress me with this coaching search? Not really. Not a slight against the man. He did what he could. Given his rep, I guess I was expecting a miracle, but instead we got a Heupel. As far as JH goes, I'm gonna guess he's an upgrade on Pruitt, would be kind of hard not to be, but I need to see it to believe it. Gonna have to see better play, better player buy-in, better everything. But he's in the SEC now, as a HC, and this is a different animal than where he's been. Thing is, I desperately want to believe, but I just can't make myself do it. Been burned too many times now. Raised my hopes too many times. I really hope Heupel tears it up, and that he comes in and wins games, but if he has a hard start, it's gonna be difficult to find any positivity. And if he struggles over multiple years? Ugh. The thought depresses me. I'm all Vol. Always will be. I'll always hope for the best. But UT has firmly conditioned me to expect the worst. And I'm sure there are a lot of other fans like me. We didn't start out thinking negatively. UT has conditioned us to expect it. And honestly, I hate that I feel this way. I remember what it was like to be great.

Kinda whiny, TBH.

Nice speech, but after 15 years of believing we were gonna get it right, I don't have it in me to leap blindly anymore. Is White better than Fulmer? Probably. Did he impress me with this coaching search? Not really. Not a slight against the man. He did what he could. Given his rep, I guess I was expecting a miracle, but instead we got a Heupel. As far as JH goes, I'm gonna guess he's an upgrade on Pruitt, would be kind of hard not to be, but I need to see it to believe it. Gonna have to see better play, better player buy-in, better everything. But he's in the SEC now, as a HC, and this is a different animal than where he's been. Thing is, I desperately want to believe, but I just can't make myself do it. Been burned too many times now. Raised my hopes too many times. I really hope Heupel tears it up, and that he comes in and wins games, but if he has a hard start, it's gonna be difficult to find any positivity. And if he struggles over multiple years? Ugh. The thought depresses me. I'm all Vol. Always will be. I'll always hope for the best. But UT has firmly conditioned me to expect the worst. And I'm sure there are a lot of other fans like me. We didn't start out thinking negatively. UT has conditioned us to expect it. And honestly, I hate that I feel this way. I remember what it was like to be great.
you acknowledge it would take a miracle, and when you don't get one..............he sucks?
who you really upset with?

Here's the thing we all gotta remember, opening a checkbook doesn't solve all your problems.

I'm sure Danny had the ability to go for big fish, and likely did vet some. But he's also not going to overpay someone just cause he can. I like what he did, and I like it more that he didn't rush to do it. I believe him when he says they didn't start out with Heupel as an option, and he realized through the process of vetting and interviewing other candidates that the best hire right now was Josh.

Unlike Elliott, Heupel has been a successful OC at multiple stops and Mizzou didn't have the talent Clemson does. He also had 3 years as a HC and lesser talent to show his system can/does put up the numbers regardless of talent level. Until Elliott steps out of Dabo's shadow, do we really know if he can put up those numbers with his system -anywhere- ? I mean Pruitt couldn't replicate what he's done as a DC with lesser talent, and his dropoff from FSU/GA/Alabama to what UT has isn't anywhere near as steep as Clemson to UCF is.

It just feels like that's what Tee was expecting. And he really shouldn't complain about not feeling loved everytime he comes back this fan base has welcomed him with open arms. Its also the nature of the business Tee knew that when he got in... a new coach shouldn't be forced to keep someone he doesn't want on his staff.

I agree that a new coach should be able to build his own staff. And the past staff was so fractious that it makes sense to start fresh. I just think people who are being sent on their way have a right to feel however they feel. Fans speak their mind. The freedom doesn't stop there.

you acknowledge it would take a miracle, and when you don't get one..............he sucks?
who you really upset with?
Didn't say he sucked. He did the best he could. But UT painfully sucks right now. The past 15 years, those in charge have been waging a war against our football program. Sorry that you can't understand what it is to feel disappointment.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I agree that a new coach should be able to build his own staff. And the past staff was so fractious that it makes sense to start fresh. I just think people who are being sent on their way have a right to feel however they feel. Fans speak their mind. The freedom doesn't stop there.
Fair. Trust me I hope there's 10 VFL's on this staff its just not likely to happen.

Very complicated.

He's never felt the love from the fanbase that he thinks he deserves - and I think he's right to a degree.

Maybe he should stop posting all that social justice warrior crap online. We’re thankful for his playing days but it doesn’t change the fact he is a mediocre coach.

Here's the thing we all gotta remember, opening a checkbook doesn't solve all your problems.

I'm sure Danny had the ability to go for big fish, and likely did vet some. But he's also not going to overpay someone just cause he can. I like what he did, and I like it more that he didn't rush to do it. I believe him when he says they didn't start out with Heupel as an option, and he realized through the process of vetting and interviewing other candidates that the best hire right now was Josh.

Unlike Elliott, Heupel has been a successful OC at multiple stops and Mizzou didn't have the talent Clemson does. He also had 3 years as a HC and lesser talent to show his system can/does put up the numbers regardless of talent level. Until Elliott steps out of Dabo's shadow, do we really know if he can put up those numbers with his system -anywhere- ? I mean Pruitt couldn't replicate what he's done as a DC with lesser talent, and his dropoff from FSU/GA/Alabama to what UT has isn't anywhere near as steep as Clemson to UCF is.
We're paying Josh Heupel 4 mill over 6 years(at least) and you think that's not overpaying?!

Have always blamed Fulmer & Chavis for our inability to beat Florida, since it predated and postdated the Peyton era. We got lucky in '98 against them, make no mistake about it. Caught them with Doug Johnson and no Fred Taylor, was the perfect storm that season.
There was so much hype about Manning returning for his SR year, that my eyes were fixated on him. I wanted us to beat Florida so bad and when we lost that game, I put a lot the blame and my hard feelings towards Manning. It is what it is.

I've made comments during the season, about trusting Fulmer to get things right but he can kiss my butt. He's the same old weasel he's always been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back