Recruiting Forum: Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, by looking at the players Jones has recruited to Cincy & looking at their leading rusher over the past few seasons it seems that Young & Watson fit his system while guys like Neal, Lane, & Gree will not. His system uses the smaller, shiftier backs.

Another thing too is looking at their roster all of Cincy's OL are under 300lbs, I'm assuming that's b/c Jones likes his OL to be able to get out & pull in his system. All of the OL at Tennessee are well over 300lbs & the ones we've had committed are also. Doesn't seem that would be a good fit.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me. Just doing some research & observation right now.

Their leading rusher this season (George Winn) is 210 lbs.

You have a good point about the OL, but in general a Big East line is probably going to be smaller than a SEC line. He will want smaller lines for the zone blocking though. I'd guess about in the 300-310 lbs range.

You have a good point about the OL, but in general a Big East line is probably going to be smaller than a SEC line. He will want smaller lines for the zone blocking though. I'd guess about in the 300-310 lbs range.

I used his Rivals profile which had him at 5'10 175lbs, forgot to look at his profile on Cincy's site. But a lot of times those numbers are inflated. He's likely more around 200lbs.

That may have more to do with the caliber of athletes that UC is able to draw, than just scheme. Both at WR and OL. Armin Binns for example, he drew the conclusion that binns wasn't really a fit for Jones scheme based on size, when the obvious deduction for a bad fit to me was in his words "Binns is not the definiton of a precise route runner". Some of the conclusions that guy drew were kinda hinky to me.

Exactly. He implied that Binns wasn't a good fit because he was a poor route runner. That has nothing to do with size.

I do think that questioning Worley's fit in the offense is valid. Peterman seems like he is a much better fit than Worley. If Jones does not adjust, then Worley won't fit in well at all, IMO.

This. Blubber and leaning on opponents will be out. Strength with quick feet and explosion will be in. Hence the S&C guy he is bringing in. Zone blocking. Cincy and Central Michigan were very physical under Jones.

Have seen some analysis of his offense and have watched probably 10 UC/CMU games over the last 5 years. We just stepped up to modern O schemes. Zone read spread that runs more than it passes as the roster gets accustomed to it and he gets the right QB. Requires very disciplined pattern running WR's. Quickness and cutting more important than straight ahead speed.

Dear Lord, I bring a article & legit facts for a discussion & you want to say I need sense talked into me. Whatever dude.

Stop insulating that we are going to downgrade our lineman's size , rb's height an scheme because that's how they were at Cincy. It's ridiculous to assume that , you need to realize he will adapt to the system of players we have . I can pull article by article of different coaches who have done the same and change their coaching style to their new teams strengths. Just because Dooley didn't do this doesn't mean Butch won't .

Reactions: 1 person
I used his Rivals profile which had him at 5'10 175lbs, forgot to look at his profile on Cincy's site. But a lot of times those numbers are inflated. He's likely more around 200lbs.

Regardless of whether he is 200 or 210, anybody that has watched cinci at all knows that Winn runs like he is a big back. Lost count of how many people I saw him plow over this year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Stop insulating that we are going to downgrade our lineman's size , rb's height an scheme because that's how they were at Cincy. It's ridiculous to assume that , you need to realize he will adapt to the system of players we have . I can pull article by article of different coaches who have done the same and change their coaching style to their new teams strengths. Just because Dooley didn't do this doesn't mean Butch won't .

Stop insulating that he is going to adjust his system to what he has at Tennessee, you don't know that, I don't know that. I brought a record of facts that have shown over the past 3-4 years Jones recruits a certain type of players to his system. That's a fact. Not an opinion. My opinion is he may continue to recruit that type of player here b/c that is what works in his system. I don't know that, but it's an opinon which I have a right to have just like you do with thinking he will adjust his system.

I don't think Butch is going to target anybody that he doesn't think can add weight to his frame.

Kerbyson out of HS was 290. Jawuan James was 296. Dallas Thomas is listed as 6'6" 253 in his Rivals profile.

I wouldn't panic if he targets a guy who seems light... he isn't dumb... he knows agility and mobility of the line isn't an end-all in the SEC.

We had one of the best lines in the country this season, and while we lose some of that unit, don't you think they would be pretty darn formidable blocking regardless of scheme?

lane and neal wouldn't fit the offense they ran in Cincy? How on earth does one come up with that. If anything its the perfect fit for them. they arent exactly big bruising backs

1st- I think it was written in Jones' 1st year and even referenced that not a lot of talent coming back.

2nd - As soon as Kelly got to ND, he changed his offense's philosophy. As a disciple of Kelly, I think Jones will do the same.

lane and neal wouldn't fit the offense they ran in Cincy? How on earth does one come up with that. If anything its the perfect fit for them. they arent exactly big bruising backs

Basing that off of the type of players Jones has recruited to Cincy.

Stop insulating that he is going to adjust his system to what he has at Tennessee, you don't know that, I don't know that. I brought a record of facts that have shown over the past 3-4 years Jones recruits a certain type of players to his system. That's a fact. Not an opinion. My opinion is he may continue to recruit that type of player here b/c that is what works in his system. I don't know that, but it's an opinon which I have a right to have just like you do with thinking he will adjust his system.

why should he stop when your doing same thing? He can recruit a different style of athlete to TN than his other stops. I am sure he will have the same principles but he is not a moron. He will adjust his offense to the type of players he gets. everyone does this. urban did it, sumlin is doing it. so chill out and wait until the season to trash the coach

Reactions: 2 people
1st- I think it was written in Jones' 1st year and even referenced that not a lot of talent coming back.

2nd - As soon as Kelly got to ND, he changed his offense's philosophy. As a disciple of Kelly, I think Jones will do the same.

This, Kelly adapted once he got to ND. He puts his QB under center a lot more & uses a power run game a lot more while also still utilizing his system.

I'm HOPING Jones does that here, which is my basis on this whole discussion. I'm not going to sit here & just say Jones WILL adjust like some posters on here are assuming b/c fact is no one knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back