Recruiting Forum: Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every good coach adjusts. Just because he is bringing most of his staff with him doesn't mean the offense will be the same.

I disagree, I think the fact he is bringing that staff with him proves he will use that system b/c they know it & have been running it for 3 years.

I would discount Martinez's last two yrs (GA & AU) look at his overall body of work. Very impressive!
Not a DC. A phenom position (DB) coach, IMO!

You think saying to someone to try being more positive even when you don't like things is pompous. Your post seems to be pompous. People who find success are not negative nancies. Think about it. You would not want Norman Vincent Peale to post in here either. He is not a troll but he is irritating as heck with his whining. See the most recent above posts by Jmoore to see he is getting better and coming out of it.

You were talking down to someone for expressing his negative opinion. Use the ignore button instead of being condescending if you're so annoyed by him. "successful people don't do this, maybe you should take a break little boy" was the message you sent, and even though you won't admit it, that was your intent. Amazing how people like you and Nashvegas31 can't just use counter arguments and maybe a little sarcasm if you're especially offended by someone's opinion, you have to be spiteful and caustic and pretentious.

Obvious to see Jones recruited better than Kelly, but how much does that have to do with Jones being able to step in & sell that UC had been to a BCS bowl?

His best class there came after his first year when they were rebuilding and went 4-8. After a year like that I would imagine selling a conference title under the old coach would be a hard sales pitch. I look forward to seeing how he does given our facilities and resources.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of good coaches haven't. To me it's a red flag when 2 different programs fire you b/c they think you are underachieving.

Georgia firing him doesn't bother me. He was a DC there and won't be here. Plenty of coaches are good position coaches but struggle as a coordinator.

Auburn fired the entire staff, so that doesn't concern me a ton either.

Oklahoma would be more concerning, but I really don't know the circumstances of that.

His best class there came after his first year when they were rebuilding and went 4-8. After a year like that I would imagine selling a conference title under the old coach would be a hard sales pitch. I look forward to seeing how he does given our facilities and resources.

Fair point.

Georgia firing him doesn't bother me. He was a DC there and won't be here. Plenty of coaches are good position coaches but struggle as a coordinator.

Auburn fired the entire staff, so that doesn't concern me a ton either.

Oklahoma would be more concerning, but I really don't know the circumstances of that.

Martinez resigned from OU.

A lot of good coaches haven't. To me it's a red flag when 2 different programs fire you b/c they think you are underachieving.

Jmoore,
I was skeptical as hell of this hire. The more I do research or ask the more that goes away. Everything you could point to that were bad about Kiffen and especially Dooley Butch has a good track record on. I question Martinez some because I have some UGA fans in my family. Prior to his DC stint at the end they had nothing bad to say about him.
If we get down to only nitpicking one or 2 hires I'd say we've hired a good coach.

Also, looking at Cincys roster it seems Jones likes smaller more agile OL for his scheme. That doesn't bold well for our bigger less agile OL IMO. Also doesn't bold well going up against SEC DL week in & week out. JMO.

It is what Wilcox did and with less talent than I think we have now. I was upset with the hire just as you. Still, waiting and seeing but will try to find the good things he is doing. Jay and Willie and reaching out to Bell and others. You coach well what you got and you win more than you lose and show progress, recruits will come to UT. Really helps when you can point to guys you developed into NFL guys and his staff had a few.

I will tell you this. This defense has more talent than any Wilcox coached. It will be faster too. There are needs yes but this lineup is more athletic to me.

DE: Jordan Williams/Latroy Lewis
DT: Mo Couch/Dan O'Brien
DT: Big McCullers/ Omari Phillips
DE: Corey Miller/Trent Taylor

LB: AJ Johnson/Bynum/Zanca
LB: Bynum/Harris/Vereen
LB: Maggitt(hopefully)/ Harris/Sapp

CB: D.Gray/Orta
CB: D.Bonner/Thomas
FS: Randolph/Coleman/Thomas
SS: McNeil/Randolph

See Idk if the Martinez hire is a good one, he got fired from 2 jobs for a reason. I don't like the zone read option stuff at all. Just not a fan of it.

Martinez just got over promoted. Like the guy who is a great manager but becomes a supervisor and can't handle people. Always a good recruiter with ties. Look at all his db's that made it in NFL.

Okie was scrapegoat and a easy one at that. One year and no real ties there. You can be really good at something and lose a job. I am more a fan of smash mouth but this can really work with the right QB. Pro style doesn't work with the wrong QB either. So, it goes both ways. Sorta like a wild girlfriend.

Please elaborate.

Jones has a certain system he runs, he trusts his assitants to teach that system, they have ran it at UC for 3 years. My point is that if he is bringing all of those assistants with him to Tennessee that he is likely wanting to run the exact same system here b/c he knows those guys can teach it & understand it.

If it invovles lining up with some I & off-set I yes. Love watching the Houston Texans run the football with Arian using the zone scheme.
I like the pro style as well, but there really isn't a huge difference in the actual play.

On this particular play, you just move to FB out to the slot and take a LB with him.

As long as 2 safeties are deep, then you have a numbers advantage in the box and the QB will hand off on the zone running play, just like a pro style team would. If the defense puts a safety in the box, then the defense will have more defenders in the box than the offense has blockers. To counter that, the QB will "block" the DE by reading him. The QB is typically tought to hand off until the end takes it away. The majority of the time the QB will hand off, just like a pro style offense would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back