Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schiano isn't an elite coach but he's far from being a garbage coach. What he did during his first stint at Rutgers is actually pretty impressive.
His success was directly tied to Boston College, Virginia Tech, and Miami leaving the Big East. He was 12-34 at Rutgers before they left.

If that's the case I hope there are significant changes on the coaching staff made, and the names that are being thrown around as JP's replacement are still available if necessary after next year.
Those lame duck assistant changes always work so well. Fulmer, Dooley, CBJ etc. Just throw money down the toilet.

He's had 3 years to put together the best staff he could. Might as well just let him live or die with all his current hires.

His success was directly tied to Boston College, Virginia Tech, and Miami leaving the Big East. He was 12-34 at Rutgers before they left.

And what’s the record been since he left?

The truth is it’s the same kind of record stats that were discussed with Mullen and Freeze.

when you take your program to beyond its ceiling you are a damn good coach

Fulmer, Boyd, and Plowman and people who put money into this program do not like losing. Trying to fix 0-8 when you have no talent and top coaches not wanting to come here is not easy. Pruitt is failing and how much is due to Covid or not Covid can be discussed forever but to think the administration likes losing. Some of the **** is getting ridiculous and is getting to Pruitt level fandom. Buckle up little buttercups. Whatever happens will happen and you piss moaning all the time is not good for your mental health.

My thing is @JacketVol how does the “covid” narrative work when we are not the only university dealing with it but they are continuously winning!..I just don’t understand that argument other than it being a big ass excuse just to get Pruitt another year to possibly not even turn it around!..

through years 1 and 2 of the Pruitt era the excuse was the talent level gap between us and the other teams!...we have closed that gap and have enough talent to win the games we shouldn’t be losing in year 3 but because we are losing it’s because of covid!...if covid 19 never hit the United States what would have been his excuse then?...the only thing I can think of personally is these coaches are not developing the talent we do have on roster it’s obvious.you can’t defend that

The real measurement of coaching quality is success over time, and preferably, at different places. A blind squirrel does occasionally find a nut and any coach has the potential to catch lightening in a bottle with the right QB (See: Orgeron, Edwardo). The shiny upcoming guys with no established history might be the next Urban or Saban or Dabo, it's just unknown, and you may argue unlikely. I don't envy Phil. Finding the guy who is a) a good coach, b) can recruit effectively at this level, c) is willing to come into the dumpster fire, and d) will do it for something we can reasonably pay, is no doubt a difficult problem to solve. On the surface Freeze would appear to check those boxes, but with the obvious moral questions. Is the leadership willing to hold their collective noses and go there?

If he loses this class then he will be gone. Let's see it happen first. Hope you are not on the trail recruiting for us. That would not be helpful keeping it intact.
I have never been asked. But the VFL’s I know always help and push UT when asked, which they were over the summer. And they Always will. I always do too. Y’all are trying to save recruiting and I get it. It’s the only way out. I need to go back to lurking.

And what’s the record been since he left?

The truth is it’s the same kind of record stats that were discussed with Mullen and Freeze.

when you take your program to beyond its ceiling you are a damn good coach
The conference after they left was Wva, USF, Cincy, Uconn, Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt. Freeze and Mullen took their teams to new heights in the West.

Flood was 27-24 after Schiano, so not a whole lot different. The last two of those years were the Big Ten.

The real measurement of coaching quality is success over time, and preferably, at different places. A blind squirrel does occasionally find a nut and any coach has the potential to catch lightening in a bottle with the right QB (See: Orgeron, Edwardo). The shiny upcoming guys with no established history might be the next Urban or Saban or Dabo, it's just unknown, and you may argue unlikely. I don't envy Phil. Finding the guy who is a) a good coach, b) can recruit effectively at this level, c) is willing to come into the dumpster fire, and d) will do it for something we can reasonably pay, is no doubt a difficult problem to solve. On the surface Freeze would appear to check those boxes, but with the obvious moral questions. Is the leadership willing to hold their collective noses and go there?

As it pertains to Freeze the moral questions are stupid IMO. Put a clause in his contract, tell the press to pound sand, and let’s roll. That shouldn’t be a difficult issue.

Not true. They planned to sign more than 25 all along. And we are losing more and some will not be ones we want gone. You keep keep believing everything is ok but the truth is we are more of a joke now than when we had Butch. We are getting our doors blown off every week and you want to keep this staff. We have fired/lost numerous assistants every year under our head coach. Eventually it becomes a head coach problem and not an assistants problem. This class is going to get worse and we are going to get blown out again this week. But, by all means, let’s keep this coach and continue to be mediocre. We need to remember we are Tennessee and start acting like it. It’s not hard to win here. We have made terrible hires.

Now bring me Freeze, Chadwell, Napier, Healy, or Fleck. Any will win here.

Agree with this post except for "mediocre". We are no longer mediocre. This Vols program is bad, bottom feeders, losers, incompetents, and no longer relevant or needed in P-5 CFB. This program has continued to step down consistently over 20 years with its own series of Groundhog Days except it gets worse every day instead of better. This time last year we were still getting over losing to Georgia State and BYU with a 2-5 start before they went on their mini run and won the games they should have. Now, we cannot even do that.

We literally have to totally wipe out the last 15 years of Vol football history to get a good feeling back - just pretend it never happened. Johnny Majors restored Vol football to relevance. Phil Fulmer took it to the next level and elite status in his first 10 years or so as HC. It has been trending down ever since. That's not the fans' fault. That's UT's fault. They don't demand excellence in football. As a result they lose the revenues they emphasize they want because the product stinks.

Time to stop the bleeding.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Where did I ever say I want to lose or hope we get slaughtered? I said that it would probably happen. I have said everywhere that I want to win every game and I will never hope for a loss. But being honest about us probably losing big this weekend is not saying I hope it happens. I played in college and I coach now. I’m mad because I don’t let any one player be above my team. Our coach is playing a QB who is losing us games and not benching him like this is upward sports. We just lost our fifth straight by 20+ points which hasn’t happened since the 1800’s and our coach still kept putting a terrible QB out there.

Maybe not. Let's see who takes the field against Florida. If it is JG and Bailey is healthy then it will not be pretty.

As it pertains to Freeze the moral questions are stupid IMO. Put a clause in his contract, tell the press to pound sand, and let’s roll. That shouldn’t be a difficult issue.

Stupid? That's strong. While I understand that we aren't hiring a church pastor, many of the young men coming into this program come from homes without fathers. In many cases parent(s) are entrusting young men to the coaches not only for football, but for mentoring. It matters.

I'm personally a sucker for a redemption story, but not everyone agrees with that.

The no talent excuse doesn’t hold up when you’re getting blown out by UK and Arkansas. No way those teams have more talent and what’s the excuse for the GA St.

Last coaching search was a disaster, but you can’t convince me that Freeze wouldn’t take this job yesterday. Worst case you hire Napier are Chadwell, both would be improvements imo.

Where do you see I said we had no talent. Did the weed become legal in Tennessee?

Man, I really want to know just who the hell the staff thinks they're getting on the grad transfer market. If they're that damn good, wouldn't they be going to the NFL? Trading 4 year players for most likely one year players shows how screwed we are IMO. And I don't for one second believe that's why McGhee decommitted.
If we are really going all in on JUCO/transfers...2021 could truly be another one of those years we look back at as another low turning point for the future.

Lame duck coach, will be very tough to recruit, filling up on older players...the future is being sold.

We and UT leadership seem to hold our noses really well as long as the Haslams and other major donors donate. Yeah, Jimmy's money is so clean like some of the other major boosters. Nobody minded Johnny being a raging alcoholic until he PO'd enough high ranking UT execs. Should we talk about Bruce Pearl's marital indiscretions - well not as long as he was winning and not having weenie roasts. Stones, glass houses, stuff like that.

The conference after they left was Wva, USF, Cincy, Uconn, Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt. Freeze and Mullen took their teams to new heights in the West.

Flood was 27-24 after Schiano, so not a whole lot different. The last two of those years were the Big Ten.

Flood did good with GS’s players. Once they cycled out Rutgers went back to being Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back