Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't get...and what baffles me most.

Even if you are micromanaged with staffing etc. if you recruit top 25 talent and you are able to develop that talent the on the field product shouldn't be "4-8" level. 6-6 or 7-5 sure, I can see that because there are 5-6 teams we play each week that if you're not "on point" then you can slip up.

We play Bama, Georgia, FL every year and usually we schedule a big name OOC game. Then you got teams like Missouri/Kentucky/South Carolina that have had better coaches and superior talent so they aren't always easy wins. The 2nd West team is never a given, and with Lane/Leach in Mississippi & Pittman at Arkansas it's not going to be any easier having an easy win with that 2nd SEC West team going forward.

STILL with all that being said...we as a program should have 6 or 7 wins every year if you got top 25 classes and a staff that can develop talent, regardless of how "elite" they are or aren't. So to me it seems more likely that Pruitt & co. are either oversold as talent developers or absolutely sticking a middle finger up at the "higher ups" that want to micromanage things.
if you want to argue this particular set of criteria only, then this season is relatively easy to explain away. no ooc, no off season. the core talent of this team is FR/SO who didn't get any development due to the zero off season. you switch to a 10 game SEC schedule.....

just on football stuff by itself, for Tennessee specifically, it gets real easy to see how this season winds up in the pooper.

Reactions: SoilVol
What has been made increasingly apparent is Fulmer wasn't as inept as we thought in 2008 and our success had more to do with him than the program around him.

We all kind of assumed he was wasting the brand - turns out he was keeping it afloat.

You sir are CORRECT! He is the best thing that has ever happened to US. But his hands are tied to an extent also. He knows what it takes in today landscape and if we don’t drastically change our approach, we won’t ever be more than below average to average.

Ok, I’ve talked myself off of the coaching change train. I don’t think we make a move this year. Now who do we get for the DL and LB coaches?
As much as it pains me to say I think this is correct. And even more painful for me to say is I don't really think those hires matter. We are a ship at sea without rudder or sail.

yeah...but we don't lose, by not playing........so.....there's that.
200.gif
But we have.

Wait why is that? Sorry I'm a slow person😂
They’re coming after me because I would be excited to give a black VFL a chance.

And before this turns into an affirmative action discussion and we start arguing about political ****, I’m not saying you hire anyone because of the color of their skin.

I’m just saying, in our specific instance, it would be a good story.

We’ve been mocked, harangued, derided, lied about, etc. by the sports media for what seems like forever. Go watch the College Gameday elevator commercial again. That should let you know how much of a s**t I give about the media calling us hypocrites.

I want to win. I want to hire someone that will get us out of this miserable cycle of hiring and firing. If Freeze can do that (and I believe there’s a reasonable chance he can, or at least as good as we’ve had in a long while), I think we can manage a bad op-ed or two.
that's fine. i'm still saying the UTAD and boosters and administration in general won't/doesn't see it that way, as the ones that would actually have deal with all of that....lol.

He's getting ready to be the first coach to follow up a game winning streak with a 8 game losing streak, in the history of NCAA football
If we play in a bowl game, we could lose nine in a row. I jokingly predicted this after the Kentucky game and that the loss in the bowl game would be to Rutgers.

As much as it pains me to say I think this is correct. And even more painful for me to say is I don't really think those hires matter. We are a ship at sea without rudder or sail.
I think they matter. The right guy could salvage a unit in a season and show real improvements. If we get our seniors back and the young guys get another off season in. We could have a very good DL imo.

They’re coming after me because I would be excited to give a black VFL a chance.

And before this turns into an affirmative action discussion and we start arguing about political ****, I’m not saying you hire anyone because of the color of their skin.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying👍

Reactions: Kingston Vol
that's fine. i'm still saying the UTAD and boosters and administration in general won't/doesn't see it that way, as the ones that would actually have deal with all of that....lol.
No one gives a **** what they would have to deal with and rightfully so. Most of them are the reason we are where we are.

Ok, I’ve talked myself off of the coaching change train. I don’t think we make a move this year. Now who do we get for the DL and LB coaches?
i still say you make a push for DAvis and Lupoi....fire Weinkie and Friend ....bring up Chip and Osovet....move Nieds back to TE's....
figure out a way between chaney, chip and o to coach OL, OC and QB's.

if you want to argue this particular set of criteria only, then this season is relatively easy to explain away. no ooc, no off season. the core talent of this team is FR/SO who didn't get any development due to the zero off season. you switch to a 10 game SEC schedule.....

just on football stuff by itself, for Tennessee specifically, it gets real easy to see how this season winds up in the pooper.

And I'd agree, if not for the way we've lost and how badly. To leave JG starting while so quickly pulling other players off the field when they make lesser mistakes, confusing.

Classy post and it would be a good sorry but that doesn’t mean it’s remotely the correct thing to do

Fulmer gave Tee no respect at all in the last search and won’t in the next one if Phil is running it imo

You sir are CORRECT! He is the best thing that has ever happened to US. But his hands are tied to an extent also. He knows what it takes in today landscape and if we don’t drastically change our approach, we won’t ever be more than below average to average.

My question is why does it seem to only be Football that these hand tiers want to be involved with. Seems other sports get left to handle things as they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back