Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend, Weinke, and Chaney rejected pay cuts? The worst coaches on our staff? Fire them immediately

Everyone but Tee and Jay Graham refused them. Sorta looks like we have 2 VFLs (they accepted the cuts) and a staff intent on a nest egg for if they or the HC to get fired.

common trend for TN players over the years. Or no progression at all
Sad, I saw an improvement jump from a lot of players and a lot of freshmen, getting early playing time, last year. Especially on defense. It's like this year he suddenly got conservative and player development is non-existent. That's not including Pruitt's undying loyalty to JG along with the shrinkage of his balls, that has destroyed mine, yours and 2/3rds of VN confidence that he can turn it around or at least, be our Ron Zook

This is me being a total homer, but this path forward makes more and more sense to me:

HC: Tee Martin
OC: Jim Chaney (mainly because that contract makes him very hard to fire, and he might find himself again without a defensive head coach micro-managing him)
QBs: Anyone with a pulse.
RB: Jay Graham
OL: Tee, Chaney and Phil should be able to come together and make a good hire here.
WR: Find a good recruiter, Tee will have contacts in this area.
TE: Chaney or outside hire.

DC: Ansley (he won't stay so we're looking at outside hire) Kevin Steele will probably be available.
DL: There are a ton of VFL options here. Chief, Brooks, outside hire.
LBs: Probably another outside hire, although Kevin Simon is still on staff.
DBs: Ansley if he stays, otherwise outside hire.

This makes sense to me because, financially, it would save UT from paying buyouts besides Pruitt's. It would also bring stability and be a very seamless transition, something I think the UT AD would prioritize.

I'm not saying I would prefer this route to a "sure thing" like Freeze or Fickell, but I would be more excited about this than trotting Pruitt out there again next season.

If we're writing 5 year blank checks like has been rumored with Pruitt, I'd rather give that opportunity to a VFL and National Championship winner.

Please read what's in bold before you yell at me.
At literally every turn you’re calling for Tee as HC. Nothing about him is inspiring. Save your back and stop carrying that water.

Reactions: EdEcEko77
Too many huge red flags for me.

1. No real progress from year one till now.
2. No QB development
3. Inexplicable losses
4. Inability to execute simple tasks like stopping a slant
5. No offense
6. Weaknesses where we thought their would be strengths.
7. Staff turnover.
8. Staff underperforming compared to previous jobs.

Just so much that makes you think, “This is not just a matter of getting better players in place”. The system is broken and his stubbornness is what makes it irreparable
9. Inability to inspire players.
10. "Protecting younger players" What the hell does that even mean?
11. He has checked out.
12. He is a gump.
13. He has ruined cornbread for errbody now.
14. He listens to Nickelback and Coldplay.
15. I'm tired of his face.

I see it the other way. If CP would play the future players like HB for the rest of the season I could take a 1-3 this year. That would mean HB and several others would get some valuable playing time and experience for next year. Now if CP is going continue with status quo and send JG back out there then yeah close up the season. Would love to see HB and the other young players get 4 games of experience even if it may mean winning only one.
Problem is the toxicity surrounding the program. If we lose all but Vandy in embarrassing fashion as one would suspect, Volnation will have pitchforks in hand ready to fire him. And, God forbid we lose to Vandy (I take nothing for granted with this Pruitt lead team). If the season gets cancelled the talk of running him out of town will die down a bit.

This is what bothers me most about the contracts we give. Whatever outs the coach gets, we should get as well. We shouldn't agree to a buyout for firing unless the coach agrees to a buyout for leaving on his own.

Most assistant coaches sign UT's boilerplate assistant's contract, which does have double buyout clauses. Coordinators and higher-profile hires generally have clauses added-- like no (or significantly reduced) buyout owed to UT if they leave for an NFL job or to accept a HC position at an FBS school. That's standard for many programs. It's less expensive to waive buyouts than to fire coaches we want to move on.

UT faces a lot of pressure with higher-level contracts because agents have leverage to negotiate hard. UT's revolving door reputation means any high-profile hire is going to make demands that would have ended negotiations in the past. UT is no longer in a position to walk away from a guy the HC or AD really wants-- and agents use it against us. Removing the duty to mitigate clause from a HC's contract shows the level of concessions-- and the amount UT often has to overpay-- to get a high-profile guy signed.

Most assistant coaches sign UT's boilerplate assistant's contract, which does have double buyout clauses. Coordinators and higher-profile hires generally have clauses added-- like no (or significantly reduced) buyout owed to UT if they leave for an NFL job or to accept a HC position at an FBS school. That's standard for many programs. It's less expensive to waive buyouts than to fire coaches we want to move on.

UT faces a lot of pressure with higher-level contracts because agents have leverage to negotiate hard. UT's revolving door reputation means any high-profile hire is going to make demands that would have ended negotiations in the past. UT is no longer in a position to walk away from a guy the HC or AD really wants-- and agents use it against us. Removing the duty to mitigate clause from a HC's contract shows the level of concessions-- and the amount UT often has to overpay-- to get a high-profile guy signed.
Sounds like a dumpster fire

Reactions: VolByLaw
So just to be clear nobody is upset enough to possibly transfer?..has he lost the locker room in your opinion?...why is Pruitt so obsessed with trotting JG out there over playing HB?

I'll be honest to lose anyone other than HB in the qb room is not a problem. Haven't heard anything about a transfer but it happens, and as a coach you just have the next guy ready to play. Your 2nd question as it pertains to the locker room, absolutely not. The kids believe in 90% of what CJP says and follows his lead. CJP is an old school leader of men. He knows how to rally the troops. I was just down there to handle some business and the energy was very positive. The last question is definitely a head scratcher but I was very upset and had to ask this myself. They basically felt as a staff HB was not ready nor did the trust Strout. Then there was the multiple issues with Mauer from trust to injury bug. So they went with the head ache over the unknown. Just know I was told there are changes coming.

So in 2015 Hugh was at Ole Piss, beat Alabama but lost to Memphis, Florida, and Arkansas. They went to sugar bowl and beat Gundy lead team in Ok State.
Would you take losses to Kentucky, Vandy, and Florida, if that means beating GA and Ala?

Reactions: JacketVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back