Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frustrating that Kress and the boys are already on the fire Pruitt discussion. It's ridiculous. Guys, it's year 3, in the weirdest year ever, and he doesn't have a QB. We were playing really good ball just two games ago. JG re-broke in the second half of the ga game and he and everything else went wrong against KY. I know it was an ugly loss, but think of where we were just 2 games ago. Things aren't as bad as they seem. Heck, we may come out and compete this weekend, who knows?

But the worst thing that we can do right now is to be all over the internet, and on the radio as is the case with Fox Sports Knoxville, talking about Pruitt getting fired. That just gives opposing coaches ammo in recruiting. We need Pruitt to recruit well and be successful here. We can't be talking about his job in year 3, especially when things were going fine 6 quarters ago. We need to relax. Heck, Bailey or Maurer may still turn this thing around this year. We'll see.
This This This

Maurer sucks. He throws into double triple constantly

Maybe so, but he also had a better first start game his freshman year than Peyton Manning did. Also was the first QB to score a rushing TD against Bama since the Iceman. That's a long time. 16 freaking years. The guy's first completion in Neyland was a 73 yard TD. There's waaaaaaay more potential there than with JG and Shrout IMO.

I think we have to look at the upperclass talent on this team. Who of our upperclassmen are talented players? I can think of 4, Trey, BT, Palmer, and AT (sometimes). Of those 4, only one would start at bama or ga. Pruitt has brought in 2 classes at TN. Unfortunately, due to the covid nonsense, we haven't seen much of our freshmen this year. But that tells you how early this is and how dumb it is to talk about firing. KY is not a great team, but they're a good team, and if you play on Saturday like our QB did, they will beat you. Simple as that.
In my opinion our upper classmen for the exception of a handful aren’t winning players and the sooner they’re replaced the better.

Dobbs was a great QB, and had great legs, but I remember how often we ALL complained bout Dobbs' accuracy. Don't remember having those complaints with Bray--he had elite arm talent, and made all of his skill players better.

Bray never played well in big games.

Dobbs was had much bigger moments in big games than Bray. Yea some many of those moments were with his feet

Avi checks out

I was getting ready to delete my post, as it seems I am much farther behind on this discussion than I had realized. Don't want to get anything twisted on this discussion. Dobbs was/is the absolute man, a great human being, and was the only reason Butch had any type of success at Tennessee. Bray had a ****** defense and a terrible head coach. I think both Dobbs and Bray, but especially Bray, may forever be overlooked by the fanbase for their contributions because their teams never achieved anything.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
I am in quarantine by the state department of health because someone (who they cannot name) thought they were around me on a day (they cannot recall) and that someone tested positive for Covid. If I violate the quarantine, then I am breaking my governors executive order which is being challenged in the state Supreme Court. In the meantime, the state department of health has my phone number and want to track my progress over the 14 day quarantine.
What communist hell hole do you live in?

Personal opinion is that the only reason anyone is talking about firing Pruitt is because folks are surmising that his unwillingness or inability to see JG needs to be replaced and at least genuinely attempt to replace him. Folks are thinking, "if he can't see this and fix it, then he ain't the guy." It's about what folks assume is coming based on how he's acting, not what he's done so far.

I believe if he makes the change and the team goes 4-2 or, by some miracle, 5-1 then everyone will be back on board.
i dont' think the record changes too terribly much, change at QB or not.

we don't have a miracle worker in the QB room, and i simply refused to belive that they're over there sitting on the worlds best kept secret.....and refusing to let him play because we like Jarrett too much to sit him.

the issue as i see it, for fans and media and their extrapolations is that there's this now overwhelming sentiment that the staff missed, whiffed and otherwise has failed to recruit and develop the position.

which really couldn't be further from the truth, if you're willing to understand the context of the QB spot at TN the past 3 years.....

the only QB we've recruited and signed with the intention of being 'the man' is harrison bailey....

Shrout was a body to add for depth and development, with the hope being that one day he MIGHT be a significant contributor or solid back up.

Maurer, much the same, the following year....

i think blaming the staff for eval, development, or recruiting in general in regards tot he QB position is a bit overreactionary and kinda lazy.

we did bring in two grad transfers, neither worked out. we went after a 3rd one, and lost that recruiting battle to you know who. so it's not a lack of awareness. it is, however, likely due in some way/shape/form to the fact that while JG may not have been the guy anyone on this staff "wanted" per se, he was a veteran, highly regarded kid that by all accounts had some talent to work with, and would/should be serviceable enough for 2-3 years to transition the position until we built depth, competition, and recruited.

so, in the end, you bring in two grad transfers, you recruit 2 kids, and none of them have been the answer, and the guy you inherited has turned out to be waaaaay more of a problem than you ever anticipated....and your hope for the immediate future is Harrison Bailey who is a true freshman that's completely hamstrung from a development standpoint entering is first season in college due to the shut down.

to that point, your entire 19 class missed out on that year 1 to year 2 offseason develoment that virtually everyone says is usually the biggest leap a class/team can make...and they missed it. the two QB's you brought in now having been around for at least a full cycle now, been in Chaney's sytem for a full season.....also missed that off season, and got robbed of the opportunity to compete with JG in spring/summer.....HB as well.

and while i won't go so far as to say there's NOTHING they could do about it, i don't think where we're at is the result of apathy, laziness, lack of effort on development or misplaced loyalty....i think for them to have been able to do something, truly do something, about our present situation, they'd of needed to be able to see/predict the future....

in short................a really large portion of our issues at QB are situationally driven....i won't say 100%....but you just can't discount all the happenings off the past 18 months, the past 6 in particular......

we don't have a miracle worker in the QB room, and i simply refused to belive that they're over there sitting on the worlds best kept secret.....and refusing to let him play because we like Jarrett too much to sit him.

the issue as i see it, for fans and media and their extrapolations is that there's this now overwhelming sentiment that the staff missed, whiffed and otherwise has failed to recruit and develop the position.

which really couldn't be further from the truth, if you're willing to understand the context of the QB spot at TN the past 3 years.....

the only QB we've recruited and signed with the intention of being 'the man' is harrison bailey....

Shrout was a body to add for depth and development, with the hope being that one day he MIGHT be a significant contributor or solid back up.

i think blaming the staff for eval, development, or recruiting in general in regards tot he QB position is a bit overreactionary and kinda lazy.

we did bring in two grad transfers, neither worked out. we went after a 3rd one, and lost that recruiting battle to you know who. so it's not a lack of awareness. it is, however, likely due in some way/shape/form to the fact that while JG may not have been the guy anyone on this staff "wanted" per se, he was a veteran, highly regarded kid that by all accounts had some talent to work with, and would/should be serviceable enough for 2-3 years to transition the position until we built depth, competition, and recruited.

so, in the end, you bring in two grad transfers, you recruit 2 kids, and none of them have been the answer, and the guy you inherited has turned out to be waaaaay more of a problem than you ever anticipated....and your hope for the immediate future is Harrison Bailey who is a true freshman that's completely hamstrung from a development standpoint entering is first season in college due to the shut down.

to that point, your entire 19 class missed out on that year 1 to year 2 offseason develoment that virtually everyone says is usually the biggest leap a class/team can make...and they missed it. the two QB's you brought in now having been around for at least a full cycle now, been in Chaney's sytem for a full season.....also missed that off season, and got robbed of the opportunity to compete with JG in spring/summer.....HB as well.

and while i won't go so far as to say there's NOTHING they could do about it, i don't think where we're at is the result of apathy, laziness, lack of effort on development or misplaced loyalty....i think for them to have been able to do something, truly do something, about our present situation, they'd of needed to be able to see/predict the future....

in short................a really large portion of our issues at QB are situationally driven....i won't say 100%....but you just can't discount all the happenings off the past 18 months, the past 6 in particular......
But...we all want to forget the past 6!

I have not downloaded a tracking app. I have heard that some states are asking people to download them.
I have the iPhone X and that tracking process was included with one of their latest updates but it's voluntary. You can either turn it on or leave it off. Big brother is not following Covid around the world from your phone.

It also doesn’t help that they inherited JG and Will McBride

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I was getting ready to delete my post, as it seems I am much farther behind on this discussion than I had realized. Don't want to get anything twisted on this discussion. Dobbs was/is the absolute man, a great human being, and was the only reason Butch had any type of success at Tennessee. Bray had a ****** defense and a terrible head coach. I think both Dobbs and Bray, but especially Bray, may forever be overlooked by the fanbase for their contributions because their teams never achieved anything.
I just posted as a joke. Honestly, might just be because Bray was there for my time in Knoxville but he was a really good qb. Dobbs was a good athlete

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back