Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the word you're looking for is 'native', in the singular.

context? wth is that? nobody uses that here....hahahahaha...
I'm sure you're familiar with the expression and the use of the plural in that expression.

They should, context is important.

Hot seat means imminent danger of losing job. Seat getting hotter means the natives are restless so to speak. Not to mention there was more context to my post that was completely overlooked.
Any natives who are restless now are the ones who are gonna be restless when the toilet paper doesn't tear off straight. I can't for the life of me imagine how someone looks at the trajectories of both CJP and the program since he showed up and be at all jimmirustled at this point. I can imagine a range of longterm expectations and even comparisons to other coaches but any fahr notions are so far out in left field they can't even be taken seriously.

Any natives who are restless now are the ones who are gonna be restless when the toilet paper doesn't tear off straight. I can't for the life of me imagine how someone looks at the trajectories of both CJP and the program since he showed up and be at all jimmirustled at this point. I can imagine a range of longterm expectations and even comparisons to other coaches but any fahr notions are so far out in left field they can't even be taken seriously.
Again please check context. You do not think people would be restless after a loss to KY?

Again please check context. You do not think people would be restless after a loss to KY?
There would be restless people in our fanbase the day after we won a NC. And there will be restless people whether or not we lose to KY. If we do lose, it will point to various issues that still need resolving in our program, which would not exclude coaching. But it would not create a reasonable argument for firing CJP by any stretch and his seat will not be warm despite the flailings of some outlying goofballs on social media.

There would be restless people in our fanbase the day after we won a NC. And there will be restless people whether or not we lose to KY. If we do lose, it will point to various issues that still need resolving in our program, which would not exclude coaching. But it would not create a reasonable argument for firing CJP by any stretch and his seat will not be warm despite the flailings of some outlying goofballs on social media.

Agreed, but my point was people will be restless, a little more faith in him will be lost. Never stated he would be fired, quite the opposite actually. Read the original post of mine for context.

I'm sure you're familiar with the expression and the use of the plural in that expression.

They should, context is important.
i am. but no one is restlessness except those few that show up at the mere hint of bad news to drop the usual "it's all bad, c, told ya" bombs. certainly not to the point where it's time to start considering moving on from Pruitt and co.

that's a dumb discussion.....

Reactions: OrangenSC
Yeah well tell the same thing to elite coaches who coach up players and game plan. If you have talent anyone can line up against lesser and smaller talent and run the football. Kiffin is an OC first year with team that went 4-8 on COVID year went for almost 700 yards against a team with just as much talent as GA.
We certainly got beat but if anyone is to blame it’s the offensive coaches. Now granted not all of them but Big Jim gotta be in check as Will BestFriend.

Elite coaches + good players < good coaches and elite players. Players are the ones playing and executing.

Hot seat means imminent danger of losing job. Seat getting hotter means the natives are restless so to speak. Not to mention there was more context to my post that was completely overlooked.
this seat getting warmer/hotter is simply PEBCAK :rolleyes:
Pruitt ain't going anywhere until he's gone.....Yogi Berra

Reactions: VOLSONLY
So, I’m seeing some folks suggesting the fanbase is not happy with Pruitt and he would be squarely on the hot seat with a loss this weekend.

1) do you feel that way?
2) I’m stunned, if it’s the case, that I’m not leading the charge.

I like Pruitt and think he’s done a good job. I’d rate it about 7/10.

We were roadkill just a few short years ago.

Yet, we just went toe to toe, for at least a half, with one of the most talented teams in the country. We are not quite there yet but our trajectory is up. Larger bodies, better athletes, more physical, with a few holes and some depth needed.

It’s not fun to lose, yet losses affect the players and coaches way more than the passionate fan. Looking forward to seeing us continue to grow and see more wins. Go Vols!

i am. but no one is restlessness except those few that show up at the mere hint of bad news to drop the usual "it's all bad, c, told ya" bombs. certainly not to the point where it's time to start considering moving on from Pruitt and co.

that's a dumb discussion.....
I never stated it was time to move on, quite the opposite actually.

But I wouldn't blame people for being upset at a KY loss at all.

Last edited:
I just think people are really, REALLY fed up with JG and the QB situation and it's starting to make Pruitt look questionable

Yep, it has me questioning Pruitt’s will to win. I think he probably does not understand football and that is why he trots JG out every week. He is probably doing it intentionally because he doesn’t understand all the practice and scrimmages we see as fans. If he would just make a QB change like we want, everything would be fine. We have seen all the reps and charted all the throws and understand exactly what each QB is capable of at this time.

Yep, it has me questioning Pruitt’s will to win. I think he probably does not understand football and that is why he trots JG out every week. He is probably doing it intentionally because he doesn’t understand all the practice and scrimmages we see as fans. If he would just make a QB change like we want, everything would be fine. We have seen all the reps and charted all the throws and understand exactly what each QB is capable of at this time.
You are completely ignoring the other side of the equation, I believe that JG probably is the best option. The real issue is that this staff hasn't been able to develop a better option.

Reactions: Smokeytom
Agreed, but my point was people will be restless, a little more faith in him will be lost. Never stated he would be fired, quite the opposite actually. Read the original post of mine for context.
I did read it. You said if we lose this weekend his seat will get hotter. I don't think it will, even remotely. If our coaches' seats got hotter whenever the goofier segments of the fan base got restless, they'd never have a cool place to sit.

A-Z is trash. It's clickbait, second hand, and recycles low-hanging fruit at a 6th grade reading level. Have a rebuttal:

Should Jarrett Guarantano be the starting quarterback for the Tennessee Vols?

That’s a debate that’s been raging on Rocky Top — in some form or fashion — since 2017.

Just because it's a debate that doesn't mean the dissenting side has any validity. Was Dormady better? No. Is Maurer better? No. Is Bailey there yet? Trust the coaches.

Guarantano is now a redshirt senior and there’s still no clear answer to the question.

The New Jersey native helped the Vols achieve an eight-game winning streak that stretched from 2019 into 2020. But he also likely cost the program wins against Georgia State and BYU last season.

Yeah, it's Guarantano's fault that we gave up 213 rushing yards and 3 TD's against Georgia State, and forgot what planet we were on in coverage in the final minute against BYU.

It could be argued that Tennessee’s record would’ve been better or worse without JG in 2019. It’s a paradox that has split the Vol fan base into three sectors:

• The pro-Guarantano crowd - it's more nuanced than that
  • The play anyone else crowd - that's not how it works, and if it is, we're dumber than I thought
  • The I don’t have a clue at this point crowd - more people need to admit this is where they are
  • OMITTED: The 'Guarantano isn't the best, but he's still our best option' crowd

Vols head coach Jeremy Pruitt is decidedly in the pro-Guarantano crowd. Pruitt has repeatedly stated that JG gives Tennessee the best chance to win.

Fallacy. See option four, which these geniuses can't consider.

“Jarrett is our quarterback. He gives us the best opportunity to have success,” said Pruitt earlier this week.

If that’s truly the case, then it’s a terrible indictment of the skills of the other quarterbacks on UT’s roster.

Why didn't they acknowledge this earlier in the piece? Oh, because it's sophomoric clickbait, the mid-state sports equivalent of People Magazine.

PFF rankings aren’t kind to Jarrett Guarantano
Pro Football Focus ranked all 14 SEC starting quarterbacks this week and they put Guarantano near the very bottom of the list.

Guarantano ranked No. 13 in PFF’s rankings.

Here’s what they had to say about the embattled Tennessee quarterback.

From PFF:

THE BIGGEST NEGATIVE OF GUARANTANO’S COLLEGIATE CAREER HAS ALWAYS BEEN HIS ACCURACY, AND THIS YEAR HAS BEEN NO DIFFERENT. HE HAS THROWN A QUARTERBACK-FAULT INCOMPLETION ON 18% OF HIS THROWS THIS YEAR, WHICH IS NEARLY 3.5 PERCENTAGE POINTS MORE THAN ANY OF THE QUARTERBACKS ON THIS LIST. GUARANTANO HAS ALSO MADE A FAR HIGHER RATE OF BAD DECISIONS — HIS 2.8% TURNOVER-WORTHY PLAY RATE FROM 2019 RANKED 25TH IN THE FBS AND HAS NEARLY DOUBLED TO START 2020.​
That’s unacceptable for an SEC quarterback at a program that is expecting to compete for division titles.

I believe in advanced stats, and I think PFF does a good job. But I 1000% guarantee JG wasn't outside the top 6 in the SEC before an elite Georgia defense brought us down to earth. Two run-heavy games where we didn't ask much of the pass game plus one bad game at a top-5 opponent is going to make any QB look bad, doesn't matter who it is.

There are five former three-star quarterbacks ahead of Guarantano in PFF’s rankings (Mac Jones, Kyle Trask, Stetson Bennett, Terry Wilson, and Collin Hill). The only former five-star quarterback in the rankings is Auburn’s Bo Nix. It’s clear that other programs are getting by with less-than-elite talent at the quarterback position.

Recruiting rankings are a red herring, especially when they're comparing QB's on different teams. Different staff, different personnel, different schedule, simply not enough to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

If sophomore Brian Maurer or redshirt sophomore JT Shrout still aren’t “ready” at this point, then it means Tennessee failed tremendously in their evaluations. It could also mean that UT quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke isn’t doing a good job of developing quarterbacks.

False. Mentioned this in a previous post today-- Shrout was in the first class that Pruitt only had a month to cobble together, and Maurer was part of an extremely shallow 2019 QB class. Sometimes the athletes just aren't available. Add that Weinke wasn't QB coach until 2019, and outside of a true freshman, he's still stuck with the same level talent that we had in 2018.

(Side note: I understand not wanting to throw true freshman Harrison Bailey into the mix just yet, thanks to the unusual offseason.)

Guarantano might give the Vols their best chance at success. I’m not going to doubt Pruitt, who has way more football knowledge than I’ll ever possess. But it’s clear from the numbers that JG isn’t an SEC caliber starting quarterback. And the fact that Tennessee doesn’t have a better option is a problem.

Yes it's a problem. It's called a rebuild. It is what it is.

Pruitt and his staff need to figure out a solution to the Vols’ quarterback situation in a hurry.

Because until they do, this is a team going nowhere fast.

What a stupid way to end it. Captain Dildoforbrains thinks he hammer-nail-coffin'd it (how definitive!), and sure, his 7th grade composition teacher would be impressed. But this whole whatever-this-is implies that the sky is falling, that we're doomed and not good enough to win 7 despite starting an average QB.

"Great read!"
taylorswiftokay.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back