Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think his problem was mental ability. His problem was naivety. He grew up in a strict southern Christian background that saw any way but his own way as wrong and refused to compromise his beliefs in dealing with teammates. Sonny Jurgenson was hanging around the team and was befriended by Gus Frerotte, the genius that knocked himself out on a support column. You could see the discord on that team. OL were openly teasing Shuler, presumably with the backing of the Jurgenson/Frerotte faction, and what is worse, the worst coach in NFL history (Norv Turner) allowed this behavior on his team.
He couldn’t break down pass coverage...in Washington or New Orleans. That’s a mental aspect. I think he was really advanced his final season as a junior but maybe his physical gifts masked it.

Them fellers trying to look so tough.. Prison will definitely give them a chance to prove it. Especially the really young looking kid on the right...

Damn shame, especially for the vic.....
I seem to recall the victim, Dorian Banks, was a football player at Sevier County HS and recruited by us. He left Sevier County for some reason and transferred to Gallatin HS.

One day in the future....

"Grandpa, what was the year 2020 really like?"
"Well, mostly I don't like talking about it, but there is one tale most people don't know about...."
"Tell us, Grandpa!"
"It was called The Battle of Shuler Arm Strength Hill. Oh, it was a nasty affair that I wish I'd never seen."
"Did anyone die on that hill, Grandpa?"
"I'm afraid so. And none of us ever understood why."
"I'm sorry you had to go through 2020, Grandpa."
"It's okay... [sniff]"

Man. We need a freakin football game where we crush our opponent and march home through the puddles we just stomped in them.

Let us eat 50-burgers, please.
This is where I’m at man. I not happy with just coming away with a win. I wanna see a complete curb stomping where we dominate on both sides of the ball. They went 4-8 last year and lost a lot of weapons. It’s time to start the decade of the Vols.

He couldn’t break down pass coverage...in Washington or New Orleans. That’s a mental aspect. I think he was really advanced his final season as a junior but maybe his physical gifts masked it.
I've listened to interviews with Dan Marino. I would have to place him in the Slow category. Same with Vinny Testeverde. Of course, I would also say the same with Bill Gates.

Must’ve been a hell of a prose! It reversed your long held belief that he had more than adequate arm strength even tho that wasn’t what other scouting mags touted. Surprised you didn’t get it laminated!
Yeah, it significantly made me realize about at that time that not everything is as it seems and that you need to look at different arguments and perspectives and then come to our own conclusions of which position is more plausible to you. This can be applied in sports, politics, creationism vs evolution debates and many other topics.

Yeah, it significantly made me realize about at that time that not everything is as it seems and that you need to look at different arguments and perspectives and then come to our own conclusions of which position is more plausible to you. This can be applied in sports, politics, creationism vs evolution debates and many other topics.
So maybe in a safe you forgot the combination to? 🤔

Reactions: BennesseeVols
I read that paper every day from the late 1980’s thru about 2010. USA Today - 95% that is where I saw the information. Didn’t read any sports weekly’s ,,never did.
Maybe it was a guest editorial. I’d start with the USA Today and then go through the other sports offerings. It’s a good policy to form your opinion through MULTIPLE sources and not one article...I’ve heard.

That’s what I read back in 94. Less than average or less than the median average. That doesn’t mean mediocre. It could mean in the bottom 45% as far as I know. Not a misrepresentation on my part but taken out of context by anyone who states I was referring Shuler had mediocre arm strength. Not my words at all.
First of all, look up the definition of mediocre. Second, median average isn't a thing, go look that up as well. Third, shut up already!

Maybe it was a guest editorial. I’d start with the USA Today and then go through the other sports offerings. It’s a good policy to form your opinion through MULTIPLE sources and not one article...I’ve heard.
If I was asked 10 years after I may have remembered the exact source, but 26 years later-Cannot remember the exact details or source except for the main topic of arm strength. I also cannot remember if it was one draft expert or a consensus of 2 or more.

If I was asked 10 years after I may have remembered the exact source, but 26 years later-Cannot remember the exact details or source except for the main topic of arm strength. I also cannot remember if it was one draft expert or a consensus of 2 or more.
Can certainly see why you built a whole argument off of it.

You’ve been on here long enough to know, if you’re going to spout off about reports that you’ve read, be ready to produce them. If memory fails, then internet. As far as my memory, google has become a close personal friend.

I've listened to interviews with Dan Marino. I would have to place him in the Slow category. Same with Vinny Testeverde. Of course, I would also say the same with Bill Gates.
Terry Bradshaw was considered borderline special needs...could tear a team apart. Whenever I see a QB do chalk talk, I hear static...and that’s with the lesser regarded football minds. It’s a different language and brain chemistry.

You’ve been on here long enough to know, if you’re going to spout off about reports that you’ve read, be ready to produce them. If memory fails, then internet. As far as my memory, google has become a close personal friend.
I tried the internet yesterday. Only thing I found out was Norm Turners reasoning for selecting Shuler over Dilfer. Dilfer was considered the more accurate passer by a small margin (93 vs 91) but they chose Shuler because he was the better athlete. They were close in evaluations from what I read yesterday. As of right now, I have found nothing regarding Shuler’s arm strength rating during the time right before the draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back