Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early look at South Carolina:

SP+ ranks the SC offense as 79th best in the nation for 2020 vs our ranking of #56. From a talent perspective we have one of the 2 most talented offensive lines in the conference this year, South Carolina has one of the 2 least talented offensive lines in the conference. We also have a significant edge in experience on the offensive line.

South Carolina lost their 3 top running backs, we lost 1 of 3. For South Carolina that was around 85% of their rushing production. They return Shi Smith at WR and Markway at TE, we return Josh Palmer. Palmer and Smith had about the same production last year. For whatever else one might say, Guarantano had the 3rd highest passer rating in the conference last year while Hilinski was down at #11 (played in 75% of games with minimum of 15 attempts/game average).

Bobo’s offense at Colorado State was heavily biased toward the pass. In fact after Bobo lost Friend to Pruitt after the 2017 season the running game for the Rams fell off of a cliff. Especially given the youth expected in the offensive skill positions for South Carolina, one might anticipate it taking a bit of time for the Gamecocks to adjust to the scheme of their new offensive coordinator.

Our defense was projected to be 7th best in the nation this year and arguably the strength on that side of the ball for us is the pass defense. Last year it finished 4th best in the conference whereas South Carolina’s pass defense finished 12th best. We were also ahead of South Carolina in run defense, total defense and scoring defense. SP+ projected South Carolina to have the 19th best defense in the nation this year. The key losses for South Carolina's defense were their defensive tackles and it looks like they don't have any good options there right now. Obviously our need will be to identify Taylor's replacement and continue to improve our pass rush. jmo.

South Carolina had the 24th most talented roster last year while 247 had us at #16. South Carolina signed the 19th best class in 2020 according to the composite whereas we ended up with the 10th best. While there were changes for both teams in the ranks of the position coaches, we return both of our primary coordinators.

Obviously both teams are just starting out with fall camp. I listened to both coaches yesterday and while South Carolina will have perhaps a watered-down home field advantage it seems to me on paper that we have a definitive edge in almost every other comparison. At this point I think we win by more than a touchdown. jmo.

SP+ ranks the SC offense as 79th best in the nation for 2020 vs our ranking of #56. From a talent perspective we have one of the 2 most talented offensive lines in the conference this year, South Carolina has one of the 2 least talented offensive lines in the conference. We also have a significant edge in experience on the offensive line.

South Carolina lost their 3 top running backs, we lost 1 of 3. For South Carolina that was around 85% of their rushing production. They return Shi Smith at WR and Markway at TE, we return Josh Palmer. Palmer and Smith had about the same production last year. For whatever else one might say, Guarantano had the 3rd highest passer rating in the conference last year while Hilinski was down at #11 (played in 75% of games with minimum of 15 attempts/game average).

Bobo’s offense at Colorado State was heavily biased toward the pass. In fact after Bobo lost Friend to Pruitt after the 2017 season the running game for the Rams fell off of a cliff. Especially given the youth expected in the offensive skill positions for South Carolina, one might anticipate it taking a bit of time for the Gamecocks to adjust to the scheme of their new offensive coordinator.

Our defense was projected to be 7th best in the nation this year and arguably the strength on that side of the ball for us is the pass defense. Last year it finished 4th best in the conference whereas South Carolina’s pass defense finished 12th best. We were also ahead of South Carolina in run defense, total defense and scoring defense. SP+ projected South Carolina to have the 19th best defense in the nation this year. The key losses for South Carolina's defense were their defensive tackles and it looks like they don't have any good options there right now. Obviously our need will be to identify Taylor's replacement and continue to improve our pass rush. jmo.

South Carolina had the 24th most talented roster last year while 247 had us at #16. South Carolina signed the 19th best class in 2020 according to the composite whereas we ended up with the 10th best. While there were changes for both teams in the ranks of the position coaches, we return both of our primary coordinators.

Obviously both teams are just starting out with fall camp. I listened to both coaches yesterday and while South Carolina will have perhaps a watered-down home field advantage it seems to me on paper that we have a definitive edge in almost every other comparison. At this point I think we win by more than a touchdown. jmo.
First game with all this madness. I was going to say 35-21 type game, but I’ll say 21-17.

What will be the home field rules this year in regards to artificial crowd noise? Will it be league legal to pipe in sound, what about after a big play? 3rd down crowd noise, etc? Any thoughts or guidelines on this?

Thanks for this. Love this info. Curious on @scvolfan7 take on this. He’s been saying their D-Line is really good. I tend to agree with you that they lost a lot of talent - and even with that talent, they seemed non-existent in our game against them last year. I’m not terribly concerned.

We are going to run them.

What will be the home field rules this year in regards to artificial crowd noise? Will it be league legal to pipe in sound, what about after a big play? 3rd down crowd noise, etc? Any thoughts or guidelines on this?
Good question. Probably no artificial crowd noise since it’s difficult to police that. Except for when Bama and UGA’s opponents have the ball when it can sound like a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.

Anyone else really excited to see how Jeremy Banks does at linebacker?

I think he’ll have an up and down year but I bet he flashes a lot of potential this year.
I thought he showed some flashes before his dismissal. IIRC he had a nice INT vs UTC where he dropped into coverage and made an athletic play. However he did have one play in particular vs GaSt where he was matched up vs the TE/Hback and got caught slow playing the out at the goal line for a touch down. He has the physical tools, I think he just needs to get comfortable with the position and the playbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back