Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this boils down to liability also. I agree that the players are likely safer in a more structured environment during a season. Hope that they can figure out some way to have some football this year.
Exactly. It's not necessarily an attempt to find the best solution. It's simple C-Y-A. Lawyers and administrators worried about liability is causing businesses and governments to overreact under the mantra of CYA! People will get it....but let them get it somewhere else so it never "comes back on us" which is such a ridiculous cowardly position anyways. It's a voluntary marketplace. The risk is assumed.

Matt Hayes is a senior national CFB writer for Bleacher Report:

Players could hold the system hostage, but they need to be careful about how far they push. They currently have it better than they realize. I know someone will show up to talk about their "sacrifice" and how much money CFB generates, but players are given so much more than other students receive, and as of right now, there is no minor league football system to turn to. CFB is their path to making big money. Bite that hand too hard and the whole system falls apart, which benefits no one.

Players could hold the system hostage, but they need to be careful about how far they push. They currently have it better than they realize. I know someone will show up to talk about their "sacrifice" and how much money CFB generates, but players are given so much more than other students receive, and as of right now, there is no minor league football system to turn to. CFB is their path to making big money. Bite that hand too hard and the whole system falls apart, which benefits no one.
The presidents should try to negotiate rather than fight it. I think guaranteed, life-long healthcare and allowing players to profit off of image and likeness would be very manageable and fair.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
Me neither. They don't have the brains or spine to do what they need to do about the uprising either.

They can easily squash it by taking away all the amenities they give the players that normal students do not get.

Players are privileged to be where they are and they need to understand that.

The presidents should try to negotiate rather than fight it. I think guaranteed, life-long healthcare and allowing players to profit off of image and likeness would be very manageable and fair.

Why should they get “lifelong” healthcare? Also, players next year can profit off of their likeness. I believe Universities should have to put some type of insurance on the kids they recruit to play sports, but if they wanted to get technical schools could start deducting that from athletes stipends they get every month.

Or give them money, but require them to pay for said amenities as well as their tuition.

These players don’t realize that they get free protein shakes / creatine, free food, free personal trainers, free athletic trainers, free state of the art therapy for their bodies, tutoring, etc and they think they have it bad?

I was a college athlete and I didn’t get a stipend or any free food or any personal trainers etc..... these kids are living the life

These players don’t realize that they get free protein shakes / creatine, free food, free personal trainers, free athletic trainers, free state of the art therapy for their bodies, tutoring, etc and they think they have it bad?
Thats the part that drives me insane, Ive read articles in the past where it cost the average sum, and it was something like 200k or something close per player for their 4 years at a power 5 school. They get enough as it is. Theyre still amateurs earn then and go play in the NFL theyre not professionals and dont need to be treated like one.
I was the same as you, I went to a D2 school for an olympic sport, besides gear and food when we were on the road we didnt get anything.

Thats the part that drives me insane, Ive read articles in the past where it cost the average sum, and it was something like 200k or something close per player for their 4 years at a power 5 school. They get enough as it is. Theyre still amateurs earn then and go play in the NFL theyre not professionals and dont need to be treated like one.

Exactly. These schools are doing everything they can to help move them in that direction to be a professional athlete but these kids need to realize only 2% of college athletes make it to the professional level.

The important thing is the degree these schools provide, but these kids all think they are the greatest players in the world. The likeness thing is going to be funny to watch because all these kids think they are going to make so much money but truthfully they aren’t. Only a select number of players are going to make a ton of money off their likeness and it’s going to cause issues for teams because athletes will get jealous.

Also, another thing these players griping about how much coaches make etc. guess what.... these coaches have mostly played football themselves, fought their way up the coaching ranks, and spent many years doing it, watching countless hours of film, going on the recruiting trail, being away from their families all the time, to finally get the pay they deserve.

But players want to take all of those years of hard work coaches put in and reduce their salaries because they are butthurt? Truth is without these coaches those athletes for the most part wouldn’t be very good. Yes you would obviously have your outliers but these coaches make or break kids. That is why these coaches get paid the big bucks.

Exactly. These schools are doing everything they can to help move them in that direction to be a professional athlete but these kids need to realize only 2% of college athletes make it to the professional level.

The important thing is the degree these schools provide, but these kids all think they are the greatest players in the world. The likeness thing is going to be funny to watch because all these kids think they are going to make so much money but truthfully they aren’t. Only a select number of players are going to make a ton of money off their likeness and it’s going to cause issues for teams because athletes will get jealous.
Thing is a minor league system would never work either, like some say. Coming out most of these kids need a few years to get their bodies in shape to play, could you imagine a league where a 24 year old fully developed linebacker smacks a 19 year old running back fresh out of high school? You would have to have age limits and stuff, and then it would just become glorified high school football which nobody would watch.

Thing is a minor league system would never work either, like some say. Coming out most of these kids need a few years to get their bodies in shape to play, could you imagine a league where a 24 year old fully developed linebacker smacks a 19 year old running back fresh out of high school? You would have to have age limits and stuff, and then it would just become glorified high school football which nobody would watch.
At this point, CFB has too much of a following to change.

Rules changes, pass happy offenses, and paying players have me already turning off NFL. Honestly pageantry keeps me invested in CFB. The game is changing. It will lose a lot of interest on current path.

EPL is garnering more and morw viewership. btw i am not suggesting football is losing viewership to futbol. Just saying personally, its like a new shiny toy.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

I was a college athlete and I didn’t get a stipend or any free food or any personal trainers etc..... these kids are living the life
This this this this!!! What an entitled world we live in!! It’s sickening! I’m so tired of these younger generations feeling like they are entitled to any and everything! Get off your rear end and go out and work for it! You want to get paid big bucks to play football? Work your tail off to give yourself the best chance possible to make those bucks in the league! Oh by the way, if you will work just a little in the classroom, we will pay for you to have a free education and a degree that will help you make a good living if you don’t make it to the league, or after your career ends in the league. Oh guess what else you get? A huge network of business men/women who will favor you for jobs because you are an former player of their beloved university. Yeah, we all know this is true. Give me, give me, give me! That’s all this soft country is about. What can you do for me?! These generations of younger men/women don’t have a clue what will hit them in the face in the real world very soon. It will be a culture shock.

We thought Bahama John was a billy bada__ for sipping coconut rum with the basketball team. Thinking he had some big fish locked up. No clue he would just weeks later go rogue and attempt to hire the pirate to save face. My heart skipped a beat thinking about a Fulmer-Manning coup d’etat. Sort of happened. What. A. Time.
That day on Twitter when Schiano was announced. I don't Twitter much but I refreshed it constantly and ran back over here to get more. Wildest. Day. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back