Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why some players may opt out of playing sports in the current environment but I think their reasoning may be genuinely flawed. Based on our experience with players going home for the July 4th weekend and some coming back with the virus I can only conclude that these kids are a hell of a lot safer under the guidance of our football staff/medical team than they are if left to make their own unsupervised decisions. I would not be surprised at all to learn at some point in the future that the proportion of those players who opt out and still end up with the virus turns out the be far higher than those kids who stick with the program and accept the care and attention being offered by the various universities. jmo.

Now to the point of this post:

Yesterday, as we were moving closer to football time in Tennessee, I looked at how each of the SEC states were doing in their efforts to deal with the Virus. With all the excitement of the scheduling revelations I put this on the back burner for a bit.

Anyway, the CFR is the case fatality rate. It’s calculated by dividing the number of fatalities by the known number of cases of the virus in that state. The IFR is the infection fatality rate and it’s calculated by dividing the number of fatalities by the scientifically estimated number of both known and unknown cases in a given state. The model I use for that scientific estimate is provided nationally for each state by the University of Georgia.

So I wanted to power rank the SEC states using the CFR and the IFR. I use the CFR as a proxy for the general overall quality of the healthcare professionals/services in that state. The lower the CFR the more success the healthcare professionals in that state are having at saving lives. I use the IFR as a proxy for the general sturdiness or heartiness of the population of a given state. The lower the IFR the greater the capacity of the population of that state to fight off the virus and go on living. jmo.

View attachment 298258
I'M sure you have divulged this at some point before but what profession are you in? I'm always amazed at your posts! Keep up the good work!

Okay thanks for all that I guess...

The point was, people in this thread are using the death toll as a reason for feeling this virus is dangerous enough to shut down schools and sports. But if the death toll is greatly inflated by nursing home deaths, why would we consider that in making decisions about school and sports?

I don’t care what you think about Trump. My only concern with Trump is that people are using this virus as a way to get to home in this election, and we’re all going to have to bear those consequences through lockdowns, no sports, and school closing.

Oh, and the death toll in Texas and Florida isn’t close to NY. But you know that. Once again, your desire is to make this political. Which is what will keep us from having sports

You’re arguing that we should not consider the elderly and vulnerable in policy making decisions. Opening schools and sports will undeniably increase the spread of the virus, putting that portion of the population at greater risk. I think it’s worth having a discussion about. Certainly there are significant benefits and reasons to get kids back in school. Sports - not so much. But you can’t just ignore huge swaths of Americans that are at risk when you have that discussion.

I think they’re hoping for a vaccine to be available by then. Lots of different articles on how effective they can be so who knows. Just hope we stick with our original 12 game schedule if it’s moved back.
But does it matter if nobody takes it. Ive seen a lot of people on both sides, who say they aren't getting the vaccine for various reasons.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
No way u can ever cheer for JG?? Who could ever imagine a person who NEVER misses an opportunity to go down this road would feel this way..

Just cant dude.im sorry that I can’t cheer selfish people On.im thankful some of the positive things he’s done for the university but that’s about it....I don’t hate him as a person.i just don’t respect him as a athlete..just because he attended the university of Tennessee doesn’t mean have to cheer him on or keep track of whatever career he has in the future.

Of course the flip side is that if JG had played the entire game rather than only the 2nd half then the goalline stand at the end of the game might not have mattered. Despite his faults, JG was sharp in that game, both throwing and running the ball.

And I say that as someone who hopes one of the younger players wins the starting spot in camp.

Bro....it’s Kentucky when has Kentucky ever had a stout defense?

Politics aside, what are the odds y'all have on us playing fall ball?

8-ball.jpg

Reactions: CreiveHallVol
If we shut down football it’s probably only to protect the schools from liability issues. Players will get it whether there is football or not. In fact, you can probably argue it’s safer to have football than not. At least the players would be in a controlled environment with constant testing and medical care

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back