Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem is the exorbitant salaries of coaches. Players see what their coach makes and naturally want in. I don't fault their desire, but they fail to see the reality that universities face. Think where college athletics would be without donors. If universities had to get by on generated revenue alone, without donor assistance, they'd be screwed.

Donors are growing increasingly tired of constant money grabs. If this happens at UT, school will be in trouble.

Actually I quite enjoy Mountain Dew mixed with more Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew and whiskey, not so much.

Ecchhhh. After a particularly raucous evening in a hotel on a school trip in 10th grade, I still can’t drink Mountain Dew without thinking of Everclear 190 proof. And it’s been 4 decades.

That’s not really saying much considering McCollough played as a Freshman last year and Warrior really only had his best year last year.... although he and Alontae gave up that TD causing us to lose to BYU.....

McCollough is the superior athlete in my opinion straight up.
Alright...I’m not claiming to be a soothsayer or anything, I’ve just been watching all of last years games over and over, and I loved his HS film as well as what he did in the 2019 O&W games. excuse me for trying to talk football in the football talk thread....I tried. Y’all have fun throwing sh!t at each other’s brick walls. Let me know if you guys want to talk football... I’ve been in quarantine for 4 months. I’ve accrued an unhealthy, Rain Man level knowledge of this team, and I need to talk shop with someone. Please throw me your feelings on the roster. Anything

Last edited:
In a unanimous vote in October 2019 the NCAA board of governors addressed the issue of amateur student athlete compensation.

In a significant shift for college sports, the NCAA's top governing body said it supports a rule change allowing student-athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness, so long as the college or university they attend does not pay them directly.

The NCAA's Board of Governors announced Wednesday it supports allowing "student-athletes to receive compensation for third-party endorsements both related to and separate from athletics."

The plan includes players receiving compensation from social media and personal appearances, as well as through businesses they started.

At Tennessee we’ve fielded a football team of amateur student athletes in all but 2 years since 1891. We didn’t have a team in 1898 or 1943 but we did compete in every other year in that 128 year history. We didn’t hire our first coach until 1899. Officially, we’ve never paid amateur athletes to play for us but we have recruited them and offered them scholarships and other perks while we’ve help them develop their talents and presumably enjoy playing the game they love at an elite level of competition.

Generally, over the course of that extended history, we, the university, the fans, and presumably the amateur student athletes, have considered it both a privilege and an honor to represent the student body and fanbase on the field of competition. In 1967 the university signed its first black amateur student athlete to be part of the 1968 football roster. So the first 77 years of those 128 there were no black amateur student athletes on the football team. Gradually over the ensuing 51 years the roster has come to be largely dominated by black amateur student athletes.

As we’ve learned from the news recently there are a number of amateur student athletes in the Pac-12 conference that want to change the business model for college football, at least as it pertains to them. In essence they want to get paid a significant portion of the revenue the university athletic department takes in from its football fanbase. I don’t know how that’s going to work out but I think the amateur student athletes in the Pac-12 that want to get paid probably should have chosen a different conference (SEC) or school to begin with. I mean I’m a pretty old guy and for as long as I can remember it’s been conventional wisdom that if an amateur student athlete is good enough we pay them in the SEC, unofficially of course.

The problem is some of these amateur student athletes really are amateurs. They just aren’t that good yet and we’re not communists in the SEC. If you’re worth it or maybe when you’re worth it, we got people who will ensure you and/or your family gets paid. We know for the amateur student athletes it’s a “business” decision which school they choose and we understand they’re just doing the “best thing for their family.” Sometimes we win the bids, sometimes we get outbid. It’s just the way it works down south here in the SEC. Everybody knows that or at least that’s what many people say.

Another thing. Pruitt’s base salary starting out as our head football coach was $275,000/year. He has a few perks and state health insurance but he pays for his own home, feeds and clothes his family, stuff like that, all on his own. He earns additional income (supplemental income) for his TV show and doing commercial endorsements on behalf of the university. That “supplemental work” provides most of his income. The NCAA’s move to permit amateur student athletes to earn money from their likeness is I think a sort of leveling the playing field. While Pruitt and other college head coaches make the overwhelming majority of their income from their “likeness” the assistant coaches apparently don’t get that same deal.

We all remember the little I think 10 year old boy in Florida last year that created a homemade design of a Tennessee T-shirt for his middle school’s spirit day, the design of which generated well over $1m in revenue from our fanbase in less than a month. A few years ago I saw estimates that the size of our fanbase was over 4,000,000 with around 25% being alumni. Our fanbase is renowned for both its incredible passion and its economic might. Last year we sold over 702,000 tickets for our home games, one of only 8 teams in the country to get above 700k.

Consistent with the NCAA’s schedule, in the school year 2021/22, Tennessee will offer an incredible opportunity to any amateur student athlete to earn supplemental income in pretty much similar fashion as their head coach. We have an entire program with resources to support them “building their brand.” The majority of our home ticket buyers have six-figure incomes or higher. There will be no shortage of opportunity for the Jauan Jennings and Henry To’o To’o’s of our roster. They’re already fan favorites. They already have elite brands in the eyes of the Vol faithful. That’s not something that communism can coerce; that high esteem is something that those amateur student athletes deserve because they earned it not just on the field but as beloved ambassadors for our university. jmo.

The idea that some knuckleheads want to go ahead and dip into the till today beyond the benefits they already receive without having to do anything more to generate those additional benefits to me seems short-sighted and unrealistic. Sorry guys, the revenue currently generated by the Athletic departments is already spoken for and you knew that before you ever came here or went to where ever you are. Maybe the NCAA could speed up its timetable for getting the new rules in place but from my perspective this issue has already been appropriately addressed by college football and I think in a fair and equitable way. jmo.

I know you guys love rosterbating to our incoming freshman class every year, but watch these videos (on mute) and tell me this guy won’t make a name for himself this next season...

I’m stoked about the potential of Hyatt, Wideman, Holiday, Beckwith, etc but it’s hard to watch these clips and not get excited

Any other season I’d be right there with you... BUT it’s already near impossible for a freshman QB to shine in the SEC... let alone when he barely has an off-season. The guy has all the tools to be great and I’m sure he’s stuffed as much of the playbook/ signals/ reads as he can, but it’s gonna take time to transition from his high school’s way of doing things to Chaney’s offense. I have no doubt that he’ll be a big name one day, but without a summer of developing chemistry with the center/Oline as well as ironing out the timing of his receiver’s routes, id go with JG, Mauer, and Shrout over him for the time being. I can also guarantee a lot of the people calling for Bailey to start will be the first to write him off the second he makes a mistake.

We had a freshman and a RS sophomore show more promise in the few games they got to play than a 3rd year starter in JG...HB has all of the tools and the mental aspect of the game down more so than all 3 of the QB’s we have now who have atleast played a game (in my opinion)...

A Raw Harrison Bailey is probably better than JT,JG and Brian Maurer and this is coming from a big fan of Brian Maurer...so TIFWIW...Also! personally I think Pruitt is honestly standing by JG and not taking him out thinking it helps his draft stock and hoping he gets drafted which is unlikely but we have just one more year so why not ride it out.Makes Pruitt look really good to parents and future recruits.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
We had a freshman and a RS sophomore show more promise in the few games they got to play than a 3rd year starter in JG...HB has all of the tools and the mental aspect of the game down more so than all 3 of the QB’s we have now who have atleast played a game (in my opinion)...

A Raw Harrison Bailey is probably better than JT,JG and Brian Maurer and this is coming from a big fan of Brian Maurer...so TIFWIW...Also! personally I think Pruitt is honestly standing by JG and not taking him out thinking it helps his draft stock and hoping he gets drafted which is unlikely but we have just one more year so why not ride it out.Makes Pruitt look really good to parents and future recruits.

Maurer made big time plays last year and has the personality that you want. He’s just so fragile tho.

Any other season I’d be right there with you... BUT it’s already near impossible for a freshman QB to shine in the SEC... let alone when he barely has an off-season. The guy has all the tools to be great and I’m sure he’s stuffed as much of the playbook/ signals/ reads as he can, but it’s gonna take time to transition from his high school’s way of doing things to Chaney’s offense. I have no doubt that he’ll be a big name one day, but without a summer of developing chemistry with the center/Oline as well as ironing out the timing of his receiver’s routes, id go with JG, Mauer, and Shrout over him for the time being. I can also guarantee a lot of the people calling for Bailey to start will be the first to write him off the second he makes a mistake.
There’s no doubt there will be growing pains the statement made was Between JG and Bailey. I’ve seen enough growing pains from a 5th year Sr. We need someone that’s going to play at a high level this year under center. I don’t care who it is, just don’t think JG can get us to that level. Imo

Alright...I’m not claiming to be a soothsayer or anything, I’ve just been watching all of last years games over and over, and I loved his HS film as well as what he did in the 2019 O&W games. excuse me for trying to talk football in the football talk thread....I tried. Y’all have fun throwing sh!t at each other’s brick walls. Let me know if you guys want to talk football... I’ve been in quarantine for 4 months. I’ve accrued an unhealthy, Rain Man level knowledge of this team, and I need to talk shop with someone. Please throw me your feelings on the roster. Anything

Volunteers great!

Others, not so much... 😁

Reactions: hooter vol
Your entire argument is null and void once you pull this out.

Who gives a rats azz what regular students would do. Those regular students don’t have the skill/talent to do what the athletes do. So that argument makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, attendance may be going down (no idea I haven’t researched it) but I’m pretty sure tv viewership, thus TV contracts, are growing. I’ve yet to see a conference sign a tv contract for less money than their previous contract. I’ve yet to see a coach’s salary go down when they sign an extension. There is plenty of money.

If you’re mad bc they’re making statements, vote with your wallet. Don’t attend, don’t watch. I’m gonna doubt it makes a huge impact on revenue but I guess we’ll see if it continues and teams/schools stop allowing it. Also, I don’t think the athletes care about your feelings. They’re expressing their views and opinions and they’re free to do so, just as you are.

That being said, the pac-12 player demands aren’t realistic. Can’t have a 50-50 split and paying it out across the sports based on the revenue those sports generate doesn’t make sense bc most sports lose money.

However, athletes should definitely be able to get paid somehow. Without them, you don’t watch. Or are you gonna tune in to watch regular students play football against other regular students on Saturdays?

Lastly, gonna take a wild guess and say you weren’t a D-1 athlete and actually have zero clue to the amount of time commitment and expectation that comes along with being in that position. Especially for football bc it’s not only the most physically demanding but also the revenue generator for most athletic departments.

As someone that has actually been inside of collegiate athletics, athletes do get paid stipends besides the access to facilities, nutrition, and coaching they get.

The thing that gets lost in the sauce so often is just how large the combined price tag on all the amenities that P5 athletes have. Higher end P5 schools have better facilities than many professional organizations, combine that with high end nutritionists, room and board, focused player development, and PR/MR actions. I would say that the total package is worth well over $200,000 annually on the low end. And, if they actually try, they get a degree which will helps with them being employed post-athletics.

Where are they going to make that kind of income as an 18-22 year old, unless they are the once every decade or so freak that could maybe make the jump to the pros at 18? They most certainly would not make that kind of income in a football developmental league.

What did you pick up about our dline. I want to watch more but I have some concerns they aren’t going to get enough pressure without bringing blitzes. I think we have some really talented young rushers but It usually takes time for them to produce. We have Barnett recently but he was a once a decade at minimum freak player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back