Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idiots are gonna cancel life for the whole damn year..and freakin Covid is still gonna be there, they can cancel life next year, and Covid is still gonna be there.
Nowadays, it’s impossible to say, “we need to move forward and unfortunately there will be some who don’t make it” without people taking it as “I hate everyone and want them to die.”

It is unfortunate, but the best hand we can play is to move forward and keep working on treatment and vaccine tests.

Changing subjects - I tried the Bearded Iris Chief of Chiefs DDH and the Double Homestyle. Thanks for the info on where to locate them. I liked both beers a lot. I preferred the Chief of Chiefs though. However, my honest opinion is that the pricing was outrageously high for retail. I can only assume that the AZ retail pricing is equivalent to the per beer pricing that they are charging in their taproom, and that should not be the case. While the beers were very good, they are not approximately 1.5 to 2 times as good as other micro brewed beers of relatively comparable quality, but that is the way they are priced.

BI is definitely priced high- proud of their beer. I have tried a lot of them. But I did get tired of paying $15 for a 4 pack. Today I saw a beer from Asheville I had never seen before- $17+ per 4 pack. Yikes.

BI is definitely priced high- proud of their beer. I have tried a lot of them. But I did get tired of paying $15 for a 4 pack. Today I saw a beer from Asheville I had never seen before- $17+ per 4 pack. Yikes.
I'm sure they are proud of their beer, and I think they should be. It is really good. However, my contention is that the quality is relatively similar to someone like Bells Brewing. The primary difference is that Bells has gained much better economies of scale. Their variable costs per beer are lower due to higher purchasing quantities on raw materials, and their fixed overhead costs per unit are far lower due to their much higher relative production. Therefore, they can price their beer much lower and sell far more beer. The more they sell, the lower they can drive their production cost per unit. Pricing beer at the levels that Bearded Iris and many other micro breweries are doing limits their target market. Doing so limits their ability to drive lower production costs. That can work as long as the economy remains very strong and the brewery owners want to remain small. However, in a tough economic environment many of these micro breweries are likely to fail. I'm not saying BI will fail, I'm just saying many small micro breweries will fail. The lucky ones will be bought out by larger players.

Last edited:
My price was $16.99 per 4-pack plus sales tax (well north of $18 all-in).

I love great craft Beer but my cheap ass usually wont buy it unless Im at a Restaurant. 🍻🤣
Which brings up a question that I have about Bearded Iris. If they are charging $4.25 per beer retail, what is their price per beer in their tap room or in local restaurants in Tennessee? I would think that it would be much higher.

Which brings up a question that I have about Bearded Iris. If they are charging $4.25 per beer retail, what is their price per beer in their tap room or in local restaurants in Tennessee? I would think that it would be much higher.
I had it in their actual taproom. Was about $4 a pint of I remember.

I had it in their actual taproom. Was about $4 a pint of I remember.

That indicates to me that they have issues with their distribution network. It's not my problem. I'm not their CFO. I think their business model is flawed though.

Like I said previously though, if their goal is to remain very small, it may not matter (as long as they're able to survive economic downturns).

I'm sure they are proud of their beer, and I think they should be. It is really good. However, my contention is that the quality is relatively similar to someone like Bells Brewing. The primary difference is that Bells has gained much better economies of scale. Their variable costs per beer are lower due to higher purchasing quantities on raw materials, and their overhead costs per unit are far lower due to their much higher relative production. Therefore, they can price their beer much lower and sell far more beer. The more they sell, the lower they can drive their production cost per unit. Pricing beer at the levels that Bearded Iris and many other micro breweries are doing limits their target market. Doing so limits their ability to drive lower production costs. That can work as long as the economy remains very strong and the brewery owners want to remain small. However, in a tough economic environment many of these micro breweries are likely to fail. I'm not saying BI will fail, I'm just saying many small micro breweries will fail. The lucky ones will be bought out by larger players.

All good points. Bell’s is still a craft brewery, but they are more on a macro level in craft beer as they distribute to all or almost every state. I will actually still drink several of theirs, but you are correct that price point can be important. Craft afficionados might snub their nose at it, but they still brew some decent beer.

BI is more of a niche, but they still do really well. I think a lot of their beers taste similar, but they still make very good beer. There is a big following of people that love “hazy beer.”

I have just gotten to the point where I drink on the weekends, and the $15 per 4 pack can get expensive. I have been to a lot of places and will pay money for beer, but on a regular basis at home, I might dial it back a bit because I don’t care to pay that much all of the time. I did just drink Double Homestyle and Double Scatterbrain today. Both are good.

Reactions: bignewt
All good points. Bell’s is still a craft brewery, but they are more on a macro level in craft beer as they distribute to all or almost every state. I will actually still drink several of theirs, but you are correct that price point can be important. Craft afficionados might snub their nose at it, but they still brew some decent beer.

BI is more of a niche, but they still do really well. I think a lot of their beers taste similar, but they still make very good beer. There is a big following of people that love “hazy beer.”

I have just gotten to the point where I drink on the weekends, and the $15 per 4 pack can get expensive. I have been to a lot of places and will pay money for beer, but on a regular basis at home, I might dial it back a bit because I don’t care to pay that much all of the time. I did just drink Double Homestyle and Double Scatterbrain today. Both are good.
I really like Bells too. That is one of my go to's if homestyle is sold out. Also like Wicked Weed and even Black Horse here locally.

Reactions: VolGee4
I made a similar argument in the FF. What about when a player dies of heat stroke or is victim of a lot things that are not uncommon in football? !

I think the simple answer is that one single death will end the season because that will just expand the narrative that people are pushing . I can’t believe the agenda that is being pushed by people who write about football for a living . It makes no sense.
I disagree a bit if it is "only" 1 death, I'm not convinced that would pivot things completely.

3, 4, 5+ deaths and I think that's a surefire turning point.

I disagree a bit if it is "only" 1 death, I'm not convinced that would pivot things completely.

3,4,5 deaths and I think that's a surefire turning point.
And what if we cancel football because of X number of deaths then more football players contact it while at home and some die?

Lol dude 17$ a 4 pack is cheap to us Arizona folk. $15 is super reasonable

Some friends of ours son goes to TCU and they said 3/4 of his fraternity got Covid... they are all the stereotypical out of shape, drinking 'ussies and they all just had symptoms of a cold and are past it... I will be shocked (I know this can affect everyone differently and people's immune systems are all different) if a D-1 athlete between 18-23yrs old in great shape and all the resources surrounding them would die from it...
I was thinking similarly that all those factors are a huge help (close monitoring, top health access, etc), I also thought we can never account for all the preexisting conditions any one of them could have. Imagine if Trey Smith got it, for example. And we know this virus has impacted blacks even more than the overall public, a group that is the majority in cfb. I also know cardiovascular issues are an extra problem...and let's just say likely a majority smoke grass...

But because of overall health and monitoring of players is why I gave them half off the otherwise reported .02% rate. Still, even if everyone eventually gets it, only a portion would be before or during the season and timing will affect decisions as much as anything. A casualty in January won't have the impact as one mid-August.

I also wonder about coaches. That may be a more lenient area for the public, since they are getting paid tons to do their (voluntary) job...and are a bit older. I would worry for a guy like Jim Chaney though tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back