Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read the expectation that if things don't return to normal on campuses tuition revenues are expected to take a significant hit. I don't think this is just about football. That's obviously a big indicator but that's just the tip of the economic impact. jmo.

Yeah, there’s gonna be a reckoning. I know I’m going to be pulling the salary records for the university that employs me here soon, and if they start talking cuts, I’m going to create a “list of useless deanlets pulling six figure salaries” that should go first, and I will be howling if they don’t start there. Though, I’m lucky enough to have tenure and be in a field where I could make more in the private sector.

My biggest question re: COVID is what happens when 1 player dies from it. Curious if the season would survive that.

There are up to 110 players on a team. 130 FBS teams. That is 14,300 players total. If every player eventually gets it, and we give it an exceedingly small .01% death rate, that is still ~14 deaths.
I made a similar argument in the FF. What about when a player dies of heat stroke or is victim of a lot things that are not uncommon in football?

I think the simple answer is that one single death will end the season because that will just expand the narrative that people are pushing . I can’t believe the agenda that is being pushed by people who write about football for a living . It makes no sense.

Changing subjects - I tried the Bearded Iris Chief of Chiefs DDH and the Double Homestyle. Thanks for the info on where to locate them. I liked both beers a lot. I preferred the Chief of Chiefs though. However, my honest opinion is that the pricing was outrageously high for retail. I can only assume that the AZ retail pricing is equivalent to the per beer pricing that they are charging in their taproom, and that should not be the case. While the beers were very good, they are not approximately 1.5 to 2 times as good as other micro brewed beers of relatively comparable quality, but that is the way they are priced.
Hotline is awesome as well. What were they charging? I saw 15-16 for a 4 pack which is reasonable.

Hotline is awesome as well. What were they charging? I saw 15-16 for a 4 pack which is reasonable.
As I recall, a 4-pack of Double Homestyle was $16.99, and a single can of the Chief of Chiefs was about $4.35. At roughly $4.25 per beer, that is $25.50 plus tax for a 6-pack. That is way overpriced at retail (but very reasonable for restaurant/bar pricing) in my opinion. I’m an avid wine collector, so it’s not that I’m unwilling to pay high prices for high quality alcoholic beverages. It’s just that they are significantly overpriced versus other microbrews, and that level of pricing premium over the competition is not justified in my opinion.

BGS, I have no idea if you’re just a fan of the brewery, or if you’re somehow connected to the distribution of the beers in Arizona. The latter possibility is why I offered my honest opinion on the relative QPR. Also, since these are currently only distributed through specialty beer stores, perhaps that accounts for the premium pricing. If that is the case, I would seek out a more expansive distribution network. Market feedback is important if you’re in the business. If you’re not associated, obviously it’s irrelevant. Just wanted to offer an opinion in case you’re in the business.

Last edited:
My biggest question re: COVID is what happens when 1 player dies from it. Curious if the season would survive that.

There are up to 110 players on a team. 130 FBS teams. That is 14,300 players total. If every player eventually gets it, and we give it an exceedingly small .01% death rate, that is still ~14 deaths.

Some friends of ours son goes to TCU and they said 3/4 of his fraternity got Covid... they are all the stereotypical out of shape, drinking 'ussies and they all just had symptoms of a cold and are past it... I will be shocked (I know this can affect everyone differently and people's immune systems are all different) if a D-1 athlete between 18-23yrs old in great shape and all the resources surrounding them would die from it...

Reactions: SweetasSoda
As I recall, a 4-pack of Double Homestyle was $16.99, and a single can of the Chief of Chiefs was about $4.35. At roughly $4.25 per beer, that is $25.50 plus tax for a 6-pack. That is way overpriced at retail (but very reasonable for restaurant/bar pricing) in my opinion. I’m an avid wine collector, so it’s not that I’m unwilling to pay high prices for high quality alcoholic beverages. It’s just that they are significantly overpriced versus other microbrews, and that level of pricing premium over the competition is not justified in my opinion.

BGS, I have no idea if you’re just a fan of the brewery, or if you’re somehow connected to the distribution of the beers in Arizona. The latter possibility is why I offered my honest opinion on the relative QPR. Also, since these are currently only distributed through specialty beer stores, perhaps that accounts for the premium pricing. If that is the case, I would seek out a more expansive distribution network. Market feedback is important if you’re in the business. If you’re not associated, obviously it’s irrelevant.
I think the price point was fair. I’m not involved in the industry but am an avid craft guy. Most of the good local breweries charge 18-24 for a 4 pack. Probably 6-8 a can.

I made a similar argument in the FF. What about when a player dies of heat stroke or is victim of a lot things that are not uncommon in football?

I think the simple answer is that one single death will end the season because that will just expand the narrative that people are pushing . I can’t believe the agenda that is being pushed by people who write about football for a living . It makes no sense.
The world has gone stooopid.

I think the price point was fair. I’m not involved in the industry but am an avid craft guy. Most of the good local breweries charge 18-24 for a 4 pack. Probably 6-8 a can.
I guess I’ll be sticking to wine and more highly distributed micro brews. As an example, I’m a fan of Bell’s Brewery Two Hearted Ale (an American IPA for about $19.50 for a 12 pack at Total Wine) and their Kalamazoo Stout ($11.99 per six pack at Total Wine). Those are less than half the price of the Bearded Iris, and I think they are of similar quality. They obviously have much higher production to be able to service a retailer the size of Total Wine, but that enables them to significantly drive down their direct and indirect costs per bottle resulting in a massive pricing differential. As I mentioned previously, it’s the pricing differential that is the issue to me. The Bearded Iris beers were very good.

Changing subjects - I tried the Bearded Iris Chief of Chiefs DDH and the Double Homestyle. Thanks for the info on where to locate them. I liked both beers a lot. I preferred the Chief of Chiefs though. However, my honest opinion is that the pricing was outrageously high for retail. I can only assume that the AZ retail pricing is equivalent to the per beer pricing that they are charging in their taproom, and that should not be the case. While the beers were very good, they are not approximately 1.5 to 2 times as good as other micro brewed beers of relatively comparable quality, but that is the way they are priced.
Homestyle is my #1 favorite beer. Nothing tastes like it. I pay $14 a four pack for the 16 oz gladly when it's not sold out.

I guess I’ll be sticking to wine and more highly distributed micro brews. As an example, I’m a fan of Bell’s Brewery Two Hearted Ale (an American IPA for about $19.50 for a 12 pack at Total Wine) and their Kalamazoo Stout ($11.99 per six pack at Total Wine). Those are less than half the price of the Bearded Iris, and I think they are of similar quality. They obviously have much higher production to be able to service a retailer the size of Total Wine, but that enables them to significantly drive down their direct and indirect costs per bottle resulting in a massive pricing differential. As I mentioned previously, it’s the pricing differential that is the issue to me. The Bearded Iris beers were very good.
You can’t compare them to mass produced stuff.

When I was a sophomore in high school we had race riots at my school. The police were there but they just watched. We were the Brainerd rebels and I played on the football team. Coach Pete Potter was our head coach at the time. Anyway the situation was totally out of control. It was 1972 and busing was the new solution being tried. The school was over 80% white.

When I got home after the first day of riots/in school demonstrations, I told mom and dad that I was suspending the school for a few days until they got their act together. I think I took a couple days off from classes but when I went back we had a team meeting of the football players and we had some really good guys. The older black players took the lead and put an end to the disturbances in school.

I’ve never forgotten that and I don’t ever remember us having a problem again for my time there. A couple years later we were all in Memorial Auditorium downtown for our graduation. The school had over 1500 kids at the time and around 600 of us were graduating. At the time we were only grades 10-12.

There were a lot of changes in the years after I left. When I’d come home on leave from the navy I’d go visit from time to time. The basketball coach was a good friend of mine. He had also been one of my favorite teachers in the classroom and my parents really liked him. He was a black man. He was a lot of fun. He thought women shouldn't shave their legs and he thought the moon landing were a hoax. He had graduated from Tennessee State. He was my buddy though. If I ever wanted to get out a class he was my go to guy. He never let me down.

Anyway, the name eventually became the Brainerd panthers. When I came home from my last project in industry in the fall of 2015 I read an article in the Times-Free Press that said it had become the worst school performance-wise of all the schools in the county. It’s now 9-12 but total enrollment is only around 600. The students are 95% minority. It sort of hurt me to read that my school was doing so poorly. It was more than embarrassment. I felt bad and still feel bad for the kids that were in that situation.

We need better solutions. jmo.
You and I are about the same age and have similar high school experiences...

Last edited:
Reactions: SweetAsSodaPop
You can’t compare them to mass produced stuff.

If the quality is relatively similar, you can. That’s my point. As long as a small micro brewery can find a market niche with consumers willing to pay that pricing premium, it’s not an issue for them. However, it can quickly become an issue during an economic downturn.

Just curious, BGS, have you tried either of those beers that I referenced? If so, do you think there is a significant difference in quality?

If the quality is relatively similar, you can. That’s my point. As long as a small micro brewery can find a market niche with consumers willing to pay that pricing premium, it’s not an issue for them. However, it can quickly become an issue during an economic downturn.

Just curious, BGS, have you tried either of those beers that I referenced? If so, do you think there is a significant difference in quality?
Disagree. No comparison to BI. I’ve tried both, yes.

The best stuff in state is tombstone, wren house, Arizona wilderness. All of those you’re looking at 15-24 for a 4 pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back