Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100% that he was chief of cheaters. And I never liked Bonds. But you got to give the guy that fact he was an amazing talent. PEDs didn’t improve his eyesight and hand-eye coordination. His ability to get on-base was incredible. It’s a shame he choose the cheating path just for the power to hit homeruns.

Edit: and to be able to stay healthy longer and recover quicker.
I ain’t giving him nothing. What about walks. Do you think the PED did anything for that’s?

Well, if you're not a Yankee, and you're a Vol fan, I guess it will be okay lol.

I'm sure I probably have other Yankee habits or tendencies but I have a lil twang in my voice and my personality for the most part is laid back Southerner so it's all good. Haha

Last edited:
I'm gonna say it again---minor miracle for college football this year with fans in attendance. This crap is nowhere near under control. It's a bitc# when you can't see it coming and you don't know who has it.

Mobile phone carriers have quietly put a tracking device on your phone to help you know when you've been close to someone who has tested positive for the virus. Before everyone gets crazy, it's turned off and you must turn it on and download an app to monitor possible contact. I have an iPhone X and it's under my privacy settings. I haven't turned it on but it's there if I want to know if I've come close to someone who has tested positive. In privacy, under health if anyone has an iPhone.

Has nothing to do with the carriers. Of course, for a wireless network to function, the carrier needs to know where you are so they can make sure you’re on the right tower, but that’s not new to wireless connectivity, and it wasn’t done quietly or secretly. It’s been there the whole time. The app you download collects and shares your location info. You are correct that you also have to give the app permission to collect your location data. Apps collect a ton of data from the folks who use them.

My biggest question re: COVID is what happens when 1 player dies from it. Curious if the season would survive that.

There are up to 110 players on a team. 130 FBS teams. That is 14,300 players total. If every player eventually gets it, and we give it an exceedingly small .01% death rate, that is still ~14 deaths.

Exactly how does it track who has it to let you know?

If you have the app and have given it permission to gather your location data, and if someone who has/had COVID also has the same app and is using it and gave it permission to track data, then you would see them through the app. Of course, I anticipate that a lot of folks will be smart and will be very cautious when selecting or using one of these apps.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
My biggest question re: COVID is what happens when 1 player dies from it. Curious if the season would survive that.

There are up to 110 players on a team. 130 FBS teams. That is 14,300 players total. If every player eventually gets it, and we give it an exceedingly small .01% death rate, that is still ~14 deaths.

Your math also assumes that every player will catch it, but with how socially mobile college is, it's not unreasonable to think every player will at least be in contact with it.

Were going to see how herculean an effort it will be when the NBA will inevitably struggle with their Orlando plans. They're talking about a virtual quarantine for an entire month, and there's only ~25 people to worry about between team and coaching/support staff.

Was the time for the investigation only through the weekend? I know we assumed TW was talking about it when he said Friday would be interesting. I kept looking with dread Friday. Was there something else that makes it seem like it is over?
Not that I know of. Could be days or weeks...months? AV only said he'd keep us updated. I'm going to leave it be and not worry or nag him. Less info on here for rival lurkers is probably better.

If you have the app and have given it permission to gather your location data, and if someone who has/had COVID also has the same app and is using it and gave it permission to track data, then you would see them through the app. Of course, I anticipate that a lot of folks will be smart and will be very cautious when selecting or using one of these apps.
Do we know it tracks location, such as GPS? It certainly could, but my understanding is it just uses bluetooth, so it knows if you've been in just a few feet of someone else. Not sure GPS is that accurate, within a few feet.

Your math also assumes that every player will catch it, but with how socially mobile college is, it's not unreasonable to think every player will at least be in contact with it.

Were going to see how herculean an effort it will be when the NBA will inevitably struggle with their Orlando plans. They're talking about a virtual quarantine for an entire month, and there's only ~25 people to worry about between team and coaching/support staff.
Yes, just looking at worse case everyone eventually gets it. Aka the McGill Maxim.

Reactions: barrylee
Since I haven't turned it on, I'm gonna make a guess and say that everyone who has tested positive is probably placed in a data base that also lists their phone number. Once those phones are turned on, it would be easy to monitor their locations. Once you turn on location services, it's easy to keep track of things.

Have to have the app on your phone and have to give it permission to track your location. Won’t automatically happen just by turning on your phone.

Back when stay home/stay safe was first rolled out, there was a third party app developer that put out the maps showing how no one in the fly-over states was staying home. Folks correctly questioned the data by pointing out that the necessities - groceries, hardware stores, liquor stores - were further away in those areas than say - DC, LA, or NYC.

My issue with that data was that it was a subset of a subset. Folks who had the app and who gave it permission to track location.

On top of that, who knows what the actual app was. I doubt it was anything popular like Netflix or even moderately popular like theScore. It may have been bassmaster’s GifJif app. Do any of you think the behaviors of folks who downloaded GifJif are a good measure of the general public?

Was so bizarre that folks gave that data so much credence.

If you have an iPhone, you can just go to settings, privacy and health then click on Covid 19 and it will give you all the information you need to help you make a decision. This is not any form of invading your privacy, It's just a way to help people determine if they've been exposed to the virus. I actually think it's a pretty good idea.

Very interesting. That must have been part of the most recent iOS Update. Looks like it uses Bluetooth to ping nearby phones. Again, would require others to activate. And apparently would still require a third-party app. Thanks for pointing this out.

5C08E6A0-B022-4C18-B529-6C5AD0BD448A.jpeg

Very interesting. That must have been part of the most recent iOS Update. Looks like it uses Bluetooth to ping nearby phones. Again, would require others to activate. And apparently would still require a third-party app. Thanks for pointing this out.

View attachment 288104
Scary. Also a violation of HIPAA

Do we know it tracks location, such as GPS? It certainly could, but my understanding is it just uses bluetooth, so it knows if you've been in just a few feet of someone else. Not sure GPS is that accurate, within a few feet.

Yeah. You’re right. Looks like Bluetooth. I assumed these would rely on location data and be a touch more general. Bluetooth makes it even more wild. Folks would be crazy to open themselves up to that kind of data tracking.

Hahaha. I wonder if it has an alarm function? Alert! Alert! You are in proximity to John Doe! He is recovering from COVID! Take precautions!

LED flashing, alarm blaring. That would be great.

On another note, I’ve been running errands and doing yard work today, so I ended up having a late lunch. Threw some Hebrew National Jumbo dogs on the grill. Opened the fridge to get mustard and onion and saw a tub of jalapeño pimento cheese. Called an audible, and went with the JPC on the dogs. If I was okay with being 250lbs and having sky high blood pressure, I might eat these every day. So good.

You’ll need a ventilator mid workout
Changing subjects - I tried the Bearded Iris Chief of Chiefs DDH and the Double Homestyle. Thanks for the info on where to locate them. I liked both beers a lot. I preferred the Chief of Chiefs though. However, my honest opinion is that the pricing was outrageously high for retail. I can only assume that the AZ retail pricing is equivalent to the per beer pricing that they are charging in their taproom, and that should not be the case. While the beers were very good, they are not approximately 1.5 to 2 times as good as other micro brewed beers of relatively comparable quality, but that is the way they are priced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back