Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I haven't turned it on, I'm gonna make a guess and say that everyone who has tested positive is probably placed in a data base that also lists their phone number. Once those phones are turned on, it would be easy to monitor their locations. Once you turn on location services, it's easy to keep track of things.
That's what I was thinking. Going to ask my daughter since she was told yesterday she needs to quarantine for a week if she was asked for her phone number.

It relies on self-reporting of those that actually download an app. There is no app by default, unless one chooses to download and install it. What is on the new phone updates is merely an app interface, API. Just a tool for a potential app to interface with.
So even if you use it it's only as good as the number of people who also use it?

When I was a sophomore in high school we had race riots at my school. The police were there but they just watched. We were the Brainerd rebels and I played on the football team. Coach Pete Potter was our head coach at the time. Anyway the situation was totally out of control. It was 1972 and busing was the new solution being tried. The school was over 80% white.

When I got home after the first day of riots/in school demonstrations, I told mom and dad that I was suspending the school for a few days until they got their act together. I think I took a couple days off from classes but when I went back we had a team meeting of the football players and we had some really good guys. The older black players took the lead and put an end to the disturbances in school.

I’ve never forgotten that and I don’t ever remember us having a problem again for my time there. A couple years later we were all in Memorial Auditorium downtown for our graduation. The school had over 1500 kids at the time and around 600 of us were graduating. At the time we were only grades 10-12.

There were a lot of changes in the years after I left. When I’d come home on leave from the navy I’d go visit from time to time. The basketball coach was a good friend of mine. He had also been one of my favorite teachers in the classroom and my parents really liked him. He was a black man. He was a lot of fun. He thought women shouldn't shave their legs and he thought the moon landing were a hoax. He had graduated from Tennessee State. He was my buddy though. If I ever wanted to get out a class he was my go to guy. He never let me down.

Anyway, the name eventually became the Brainerd panthers. When I came home from my last project in industry in the fall of 2015 I read an article in the Times-Free Press that said it had become the worst school performance-wise of all the schools in the county. It’s now 9-12 but total enrollment is only around 600. The students are 95% minority. It sort of hurt me to read that my school was doing so poorly. It was more than embarrassment. I felt bad and still feel bad for the kids that were in that situation.

We need better solutions. jmo.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there!

The secret ingredient to a good and just society is a father that models Christ and is willing to lay down his own agenda, daily, and mold a child.
Amen!!! Beautiful and true words, EV! Happy Father’s Day!

When I was a sophomore in high school we had race riots at my school. The police were there but they just watched. We were the Brainerd rebels and I played on the football team. Coach Pete Potter was our head coach at the time. Anyway the situation was totally out of control. It was 1972 and busing was the new solution being tried. The school was over 80% white.

When I got home after the first day of riots/in school demonstrations, I told mom and dad that I was suspending the school for a few days until they got their act together. I think I took a couple days off from classes but when I went back we had a team meeting of the football players and we had some really good guys. The older black players took the lead and put an end to the disturbances in school.

I’ve never forgotten that and I don’t ever remember us having a problem again for my time there. A couple years later we were all in Memorial Auditorium downtown for our graduation. The school had over 1500 kids at the time and around 600 of us were graduating. At the time we were only grades 10-12.

There were a lot of changes in the years after I left. When I’d come home on leave from the navy I’d go visit from time to time. The basketball coach was a good friend of mine. He had also been one of my favorite teachers in the classroom and my parents really liked him. He was a black man. He was a lot of fun. He thought women shouldn't shave their legs and he thought the moon landing were a hoax. He had graduated from Tennessee State. He was my buddy though. If I ever wanted to get out a class he was my go to guy. He never let me down.

Anyway, the name eventually became the Brainerd panthers. When I came home from my last project in industry in the fall of 2015 I read an article in the Times-Free Press that said it had become the worst school performance-wise of all the schools in the county. It’s now 9-12 but total enrollment is only around 600. The students are 95% minority. It sort of hurt me to read that my school was doing so poorly. It was more than embarrassment. I felt bad and still feel bad for the kids that were in that situation.

Yes,you are 100% correct on better solutions. There is some solutions out there that I think are way out of the park, but everyone having an equal opportunity from day one is an absolute must! You mentioned the rough days of integration and it triggered some memories. I have been around some brave men in my time, but I think the bravest was a young black man that attended my high school his freshman year. He was the only black student out of 1700 students. Courage!!!

Even though I’m not a fan of his at all, and will always have a bias against those steroid era guys, I will say that seeing Barry Bonds play in person was incredible. He was just on a whole different level. Watching on tv, you obviously knew he was an elite player, but when I saw him in person, I was blown away by how good he was. He was a man among boys at the major league level. Truly an incredible talent.
No doubt the goat, though his accomplishments are tainted.

Reactions: crovol

Too many things are simultaneously broken.. We play whack-a-mole with every issue, and every solution that passes lacks the buy-in to fix the issue, and typically only makes things worse.

Ideology gets placed before practicality. Finger pointing and whataboutism rule the conversation. Everyone treats their argument like its a debate club, with tactics to "win" and bumper sticker slogans to cover their asses when they "lose". People don't know how to talk to each other 1) because now we're in our own media bubbles 2) because we overestimate our own smarts and 3) because evolving on a stance is considered weakness and no one likes admitting they're wrong.

We've been walking this road for a long, long time. The only ones that haven't walked this road are the ones who can afford a different mode of transportation.

That's what I was thinking. Going to ask my daughter since she was told yesterday she needs to quarantine for a week if she was asked for her phone number.
If you have an iPhone, you can just go to settings, privacy and health then click on Covid 19 and it will give you all the information you need to help you make a decision. This is not any form of invading your privacy, It's just a way to help people determine if they've been exposed to the virus. I actually think it's a pretty good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back