Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing about football. Didn’t realize it until I heard Coach Pruitt in this video.

Finally finished this. Two main observations:
  1. Pruitt is probably the best defensive mind in football.
  2. He couldn’t hide his frustration for how poorly coached we were when he got here.

I can’t wait to see what he can do with his horses this year. Look out.

2. He couldn’t hide his frustration for how poorly coached we were when he got here.

And it makes me realize even more what a bafoon Butch was/is.

He makes everything so simple as well. Fantastic teacher. Defense should be stout from this year on.

Go to a butcher, get a 10-12 lb butcher cut. Trim the bigger hunks of fat off but leave some, that's kind of a learn as you go thing. Give it a nice rub 12-24 hours before the cook, I use olive oil and my spices, give it a good coat. Set your smoker to about 220-225 degrees. I use hickory but a lot of Texans use Mesquite. I have a green egg so I throw in the chips, put in the inverter plate and put the brisket on the grill fat side down. Cook about an hour a pound, you can also go by internal temperature but I like to keep that lid closed through the entire cook. Some do the crutch but I don't see any benefit in that. When you pull it, wrap in foil with a cup of broth and let it sit in a cooler for about 30-45 minutes. Cut against the grain.

I’m giving it a shot today. Smoking my first brisket.

Not just that. But he assembles the best staff of recruiters and coaches that we’ve had since Kiffin’s lone season. And if you don’t perform well, you’re out. He’s not loyal to the bone like Butch was. Or even Fulmer.

Some of that carried over to 2019. We finished with some nice wins but looked pretty average overall.
In a sense I agree. We only finished with a 2.5 point scoring margin. We were a play away from losing any of UK, Mizzou, or Indiana.

That said, play for play, we improved SIGNIFICANTLY and this is one of the best indicators of progress. It is our red zone woes that absolutely killed us. 3rd down defense wasn't great either. But that is situational football and quite fixable. Ya can't easily fix getting your butt whipped play after play, but you can fix these situational areas. I expect our OL will get us some bully RZ TDs this year and that relieves a lot of pressure. Now Year 3 in Pruitt's defense, I'm hoping we see some Jancek level 3rd down defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back