Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump, just because I don't want the next great UT WR on the 2nd page. Freshman All-American with 10+ TDs, next year. I know crazy talk, but after Wideman catches his first fade route TD on a 50/50 jump ball situation, I expect it will be UTs go to play, in the red (orange) zone. Well, maybe the 2nd option, if our OL is as dominant as I think they could be, after running the ball down the defense's throat
Hot take:

Malachi Wideman will be the top freshman WR in the country. He's a more athletic Tee Higgins. He abused 5 star Nyland Green at a camp few months back. I say 8tds and a very high ypc.
Great minds and all that

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the staff "liking" or "retweeting" specific 'cruits stuff is probably just gamesmanship. Or maintaining a relationship.

I used to be a Cowboys fan and I hated Jerry Jones, but one of the few things he said about twenty years ago, stuck out to me as being intelligent. See... the Cowboys had the 6th pick in the NFL draft and most people (correctly) assumed they'd get either Quentin Jammer or Roy Williams. They ultimately traded down two picks and got RW, after San Diego took Jammer at 5. But the Cowboys hosted Javon Walker prior to the draft. He was a receiver for FSU, slated to go in the back half of the first round. A reporter asked about the visit and Jerry explained that sometimes these visits are about building relationships. Especially in the age of free agency. Cowboys might not get Walker in the draft, but get some face time with him now and maybe 4-5 years down the road if you're interested in him as a free agent, you'll have that relationship.

Jerry was/is a a mess... but that was smart.

As such... the staff is doing their social media stuff possibly because while we might not get Player X in this cycle.... keep liking/retweeting/whatever their stuff now and who knows - when the one time transfer rule comes into effect, you'll have that relationship.

As a Cowboys fan, certainly early on, Jerry’s meddling was frustrating and a problem. Kind of like Jerry Krause with the Bulls, his ego couldn’t get along with Jimmy Johnson. It ended a good thing.

That said, Jerry and his sons have really done a great job drafting the last 5-6 years. One of the best in the NFL. Except for Amari Cooper, all of their big money guys were drafted by them. Elliot, Prescott, entire OL, Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Lee, and Byron Jones took a big deal elsewhere. Vander Esch is going to get paid.

It’s just been execution. Partly Dak being a bit inconsistent, defensive could not create enough turnovers, and average at head coach.

And...yes I know your post was more about UT. We have a very smart coaching staff at UT, and I was just saying that Jerry is a little smarter than he gets credit for.

Reactions: Brillovol
Re: Jordan vs LeBron debate, it's always the pro-Jordans who get so butt hurt about who's GOAT. I still place Jordan at 1 because of his legacy known that LeBron is a close 2. He has a great shot to be 1st in points and 3rd in assists for his career, which is absolutely insane. He's been an automatic 27/7/7 for his entire career and is still churning away at age 35. Meanwhile, he's had zero off the court issues and has been a great role model for his community.

Those 2 can be argued about 1 v 2 but it's definitely a debate, especially if he wins more titles and becomes the NBA all time leading scorer. Kobe, Magic, Shaq, Bird, etc are all good but LeBron beats them all. It's ok to give the guy credit and just enjoy that we've been able to see the top two players in NBA history play the game.

Re: Jordan vs LeBron debate, it's always the pro-Jordans who get so butt hurt about who's GOAT. I still place Jordan at 1 because of his legacy known that LeBron is a close 2. He has a great shot to be 1st in points and 3rd in assists for his career, which is absolutely insane. He's been an automatic 27/7/7 for his entire career and is still churning away at age 35. Meanwhile, he's had zero off the court issues and has been a great role model for his community.

Those 2 can be argued about 1 v 2 but it's definitely a debate, especially if he wins more titles and becomes the NBA all time leading scorer. Kobe, Magic, Shaq, Bird, etc are all good but LeBron beats them all. It's ok to give the guy credit and just enjoy that we've been able to see the top two players in NBA history play the game.

giphy.gif

Haha just like millennials to act like someone is butt hurt for disagreeing with them. I love the debate cause how dumb it makes Jordan haters look and how butt hurt they get when you make fun of flopbron.

He’s 35 and has won half as many titles. He’ll prolly end up scoring the most points in NBA history.

36D7DAD6-0909-43F9-854D-E145F1C0D053.jpeg

Haha just like millennials to act like someone is butt hurt for disagreeing with them. I love the debate cause how dumb it makes Jordan haters look and how butt hurt they get when you make fun of flopbron.
Nobody has been upset by making fun of LeBron---rather just calling out how insane other people's arguments are.

3rd and goal from the 20, JG throws a pretty good dang ball to the end zone to JJ. He goes up for the catch with a bama defender draped all over him. No call. Should have been first and goal. Called two ticky tack penalties against us to keep us from scoring, don't call the obvious PI on 3rd and goal against Bama that would have put us right back within the 10 with a first down.

Bass has 39,000+ posts in four years. That's an average of 9,750+ posts a year. Somewhere around 28 a day, every day. I am freaking impressed. You should get some kind of award for that level of dedication to the forum. We should start a GoFundme account and get him a catered tailgate for the first home game we play.

He’s 35 and has won half as many titles. He’ll prolly end up scoring the most points in NBA history.

Which is a reasonable criteria for debate. I bet you 80% of the "Jordan--GOAT' people on this board rank Manning higher than Brady and all of a sudden titles really aren't the way to adequately tell who is the GOAT for a team sport.

Reactions: hooter vol
Which is a reasonable criteria for debate. I bet you 80% of the "Jordan--GOAT' people on this board rank Manning higher than Brady and all of a sudden titles really aren't the way to adequately tell who is the GOAT for a team sport.
Titles matter significantly more in basketball than Football when measuring individual greatness because you’re one of ten on the court at once and playing both ways. You can impact a game a lot more for a team as an individual.

I conceded Brady’s status long ago. Not only because of the titles but that even in defeats his teams were never out of it. Titles aren’t the only criteria, but they’re a helluva tiebreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back