Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting statistic. Many of the offensive positions are developmental. OL, TE, QB are positions that are difficult to make an impact early, Freshman and Sophomore year. They are also typically the positions that are hard to evaluate due to the projection aspect. Those positions make up 7 of 11 offensive spots.

Where the Defense is very athletically driven and is easier to evaluate. ALA making it easier for the recruiting services to be right. It’s also easier to see the field earlier on Defense (except DL). Leaving 8 of 11 spots open for early playing time.
Yeah I think it is certainly a lot of that. Especially the OL...what a tough position to evaluate. I also think it shows how important 1 single position (QB) is and offensive scheme. The recent G5 teams that have been on the come up (older Boise St teams and more recent UCF teams) had excellent offensive schemes and QBs that even challenged some of the top P5 defenses. But their defenses really couldn't stack up. Modern offenses have such an advantage by rule and due to innovation, they can really overcome a lack of talent on paper. Jmo

Bill C. had this to say:
This might make sense. Offensive innovation usually precedes defensive adjustment, so perhaps coaching, system, scheme, play-calling and development make more of a difference for the offense. Defense might be swayed more by pure athleticism and ready-made talent.

Then there's the matter of quarterback. Experience can be a great equalizer. If you sign a blue-chip signal caller, you might be more likely to play him as a really young QB. This can pay off, but for every Jameis Winston or Johnny Manziel, there's a blue-chip freshman who plays like a freshman

Here's another interesting thing he has found
Recruiting impacts passing more than rushing.
More specifically, it impacts pass defense more than run defense.

This might also make sense. If we are to believe that linemen are the most difficult players to project at the high school level -- since some will need to put on quite a bit of good weight (or take off some bad weight), and since their physical abilities alone made them unstoppable at the high school level -- then perhaps raw talent makes a big difference in the secondary, while development and scheme matter more up front.

Yeah I think it is certainly a lot of that. Especially the OL...what a tough position to evaluate. I also think it shows how important 1 single position (QB) is and offensive scheme. The recent G5 teams that have been on the come up (older Boise St teams and more recent UCF teams) had excellent offensive schemes and QBs that even challenged some of the top P5 defenses. But their defenses really couldn't stack up. Modern offenses have such an advantage by rule and due to innovation, they can really overcome a lack of talent on paper. Jmo

Bill C. had this to say:

Sounds like we are heading the right direction. Need some upgrades at the CB position IMO. Other than that, I’d sign this class as is today.

Reactions: Devo182
make a choice mcgill...make a choice. you don't have to stay on the path you're currently on.............just get off. stop, take a walk....count to ten..............get a cup of coffee. read somethign o/t the news....watch a movie......build a bird house.............give your brain something esle to process.....
lol....
Stated differently...straight from the GOAT's mouth (by the way, I was too far behind to debate in real time, but The Last Dance has been fabulous and only cements his GOAT status...as so many have said, beyond his talent was an intangible will to win that far exceeds that of any of the others in the GOAT debate).

THANK YOU
I don’t know why it’s so difficult. We have 3 types of threads in this forum: 1) individual recruit thread. 2) football talk thread 3) off topic thread. If you come to this forum with a question or any kind of info to share, then put it in the recruit’s thread, or whichever thread it seems to fit best in between the other 2. Don’t make a new thread to ask the question or share the info. Thanks in advance!

Bill C. had this to say:

I wonder how much the concussions and the targeting rule amplifies this. I imagine those factors make for a higher probability of playing a second or third team player at DB and LB over the course of a season.

boomage going on in the mondon thread. ATLVol has been spotted.

👀
9232594d031e00ae0ce489642ea90d03.gif

Reactions: Catbone
Good grief he has us killing everybody. Where’s the confidence in this offense coming from? I mean, I’d love to see it
Everything depends on QB play IMO. I don't think we go undefeated, we'll trip up somewhere along the way, but I think we finally have a team that could beat anyone on the schedule, including Bama. I think we have enough talent, and more importantly, I think this team has the proper attitude. I think if enough things fall the right way, we could beat teams no one gives us a chance against. But a lot rests on what we get from the QB position.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I think Pruitt's revamping of the culture, and the attitude this team is developing, gets underappreciated. It takes more than talent to win. Teams have to believe they can win, and I think our team does. As a first time HC, Pruitt is learning on the job, but you can see how he keeps evolving and improving. And he has succeeded in changing the attitude of this team from what it was under Dooley and Butch. I truly believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back