Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about it Bass..even if the mortality rate is the same as the flu, if it infects at a 5-10× higher rate..that in itself is cause for aggressive mitigation.

But I do agree, we have taken our shot, and it is time to open it up in most places...

I said it from the beginning of this..we can not keep the world shut down long enough to outlast this virus...That is a fact.
No I get it. But I still think we could have went about it without costing 22 million jobs. If The Who doesn’t lie, then travel from China and Europe is shut down way sooner than it was, and that virus might not have even gotten here. There are other strategies that could have been implemented as well.

No I get it. But I still think we could have went about it without costing 22 million jobs. If The Who doesn’t lie, then travel from China and Europe is shut down way sooner than it was, and that virus might not have even gotten here. There are other strategies that could have been implemented as well.
Not going to argue with that, but in late March it was too late. We had to do what we did.

Reactions: Bret178

Your blame gun has a Trump-shaped hole in it's spread. You should probably get that checked out or it's going to cost you a gobbler the next time you're out hunting turkeys.

Man..this is just a fact..and you don't have to have this test or that test to know it.

MOST..people who get this virus do not get sick enough to get tested, and the ease of transmission is insane with this bug. So the confirmed case number is badly wrong...

Take @nicksjuzunk for a example, as far as I know...nobody in his family hasvtaken a test, yet it is almost certain that they have Covid-19.

There are millions of unconfirmed cases out there, I mean lost childten barely show symptoms at all..but you do not want to believe that. You keep looking for reasons to poke holes in it for some reason which I do not understand.

This bug is dangerous...not because of overall mortality rate, but because of ease of transmission and no immunity in the population + its brutality on a particular segment of the population.

You're a great guy, and I am not saying this to be a jerk to you. No matter what you believe, I respect you...but...

Come on man..😉

It is possible for everything you said to be true and the mortality still be 1.0%. In fact, I'm counting on it being true. If it weren't true, then the mortality would be much higher than 1%. The question isn't whether it is under reported, it is. The question is by how much. I am basing my number on the results of countries where containment efforts obviously worked. We have a pretty good idea that containment worked because the new case rate went essentially to zero (except China) after being non-trivial.

I paid particular attention to South Korea because other than closing schools and stopping large gatherings (concerts, sports, etc) they have not shut down their economy...meaning...that they managed containment more by contact tracing and testing than extreme mitigation efforts. Not wanting to put all eggs in the SK basket, I looked at 7 other countries where they appear to have successfully contained it. The average case mortality across all of those is 2.3%, although I think some of those countries will still go higher because they are just reaching containment and there are still a large number of active cases yet to resolve. Their numbers will be higher than SK's in the end, but I think they also have far more under reported cases. SK's case mortality was well under 1% when I started following it, but as cases have resolved they wandered up to the 2.2% they are sitting at currently. I expect those other countries to do the same thing over time.

We both believe essentially the same thing. I've just made some effort to quantify it. You don't agree, that's cool. I'm not offended in the slightest. Live by your convictions, but be sure your convictions are based on reality and not feelings.

Reactions: WriterVol
Your blame gun has a Trump-shaped hole in it's spread. You should probably get that checked out or it's going to cost you a gobbler the next time you're out hunting turkeys.
I think looking to place blame over a virus is just dumb to begin with, unless it comes out that there's truth in the claim it was developed in a lab. Just another example of politicizing a tragedy.

So when I was in college, I applied for a job with 7/11 for a night clerk position. Had to do a drug test and a lie detector test.
Nothing found on drug screen.
I failed the lie detector test after admitting to having smoked marijuana. The guy verbally jumped me when I said that I no longer smoked anything (can set off my asthma), so kinda pissed me off which altered the testing results that imply that I was lying.

The guy that got the location and shift that I wanted was shot and killed in a robbery less than a week after getting the job. Therefore, I am thankful that marijuana saved my life...
😳🤔
That’s nuts, also You had to take lie detector for a job at 7/11??

My wife and I could hear someone talking or singing loudly down the block from us. Figured it was just a homeless person ranting loudly, as some tend to enjoy doing. Looked outside and was shocked to see it was a completely normal looking human being walking his dog, while singing FULL BLAST the 4 Non-Blondes song What's Up (What's going on?)...he actually sounded great too and was hitting all the high notes. Looking like he was having a blast walking his dog with no one around.

We couldn't help but smile and now that song is stuck in our heads. It also reminded me of this old goodie:

That version was pretty awful, but the original was a great song. When my daughter was young,maybe 9 or 10, she had a CD with that song and I used to hear it non-stop coming from her bedroom.

Reactions: Devo182
I just think the next 12 months or so are just gonna be a roller coaster. We'll have a bunch of stops and starts. It'll probably be more of a regional, state or city thing than a full blown national movement. Ultimately, there's still so much we don't know. All the figures and stats thrown out by everyone in here are bound to change as we learn more. I'm ready for much more in-depth American data, so we don't have to rely on suspect Chinese data.

While my thoughts on the severity of the disease mirror SSVol, we just couldn't stop America from running for the time that we need to make a real dent in this disease. I think a lot of you thinking this is basically moot or completely overblown will have a different tune a year from now. We all want to be optimistic because we're all scared and stir crazy. I think expecting college football this fall is still a bit of sunshine pumping. I just don't think we're (a) gonna have a consistent period of few infections longer than a month or (b) a testing system robust enough to test every player each week in the D1.

The pros can easily control and afford to put measures to play and protect their players, but as soon as any university or college cancels in-person classes, those game are cancelled with it. It won't take many dominos to fall. No university or entity wants to be viewed as being negligent in safety measures that end up with students or student athletes dead in a dorm room from covid-19.

I want all sports back as badly as any of you (with the exception of baseball, just don't care for it). I'm just not sure it's gonna happen, even if they ban fans from attending.

I just think the next 12 months or so are just gonna be a roller coaster. We'll have a bunch of stops and starts. It'll probably be more of a regional, state or city thing than a full blown national movement. Ultimately, there's still so much we don't know. All the figures and stats thrown out by everyone in here are bound to change as we learn more. I'm ready for much more in-depth American data, so we don't have to rely on suspect Chinese data.

While my thoughts on the severity of the disease mirror SSVol, we just couldn't stop America from running for the time that we need to make a real dent in this disease. I think a lot of you thinking this is basically moot or completely overblown will have a different tune a year from now. We all want to be optimistic because we're all scared and stir crazy. I think expecting college football this fall is still a bit of sunshine pumping. I just don't think we're (a) gonna have a consistent period of few infections longer than a month or (b) a testing system robust enough to test every player each week in the D1.

The pros can easily control and afford to put measures to play and protect their players, but as soon as any university or college cancels in-person classes, those game are cancelled with it. It won't take many dominos to fall. No university or entity wants to be viewed as being negligent in safety measures that end up with students or student athletes dead in a dorm room from covid-19.

I want all sports back as badly as any of you (with the exception of baseball, just don't care for it). I'm just not sure it's gonna happen, even if they ban fans from attending.

This, I think, is the takeaway. There's a significant fog of war element to this -- so much we don't understand.

I certainly hope Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee know what they're doing. I'm not optimistic here in Georgia mostly because our governor is a dolt, but we'll see.

I think looking to place blame over a virus is just dumb to begin with, unless it comes out that there's truth in the claim it was developed in a lab. Just another example of politicizing a tragedy.
I believe it's pretty well documented and clear this thing came from China, either from that lab or from their wet market, or a combination of both. Then you had China, using their puppet WHO and their nondoctor leader claiming it wasn't that bad, no human to human problem etc. All the while in Dec. thru Feb. China was hoarding and buying up all the PPE and Ventilators they could get their hands on. THEY KNEW. PERIOD.

Let's fast forward to Jan. 31 when Trump puts the travel ban in place. The left is screaming mad. Even go back and notice Trump even talked about the virus in his State of the Union.
Feb.-the DNC has two presidential debates in which the virus was not mentioned by the moderators nor any of the candidates. And of course we know what Pelosi was doing on Feb 24th. Meanwhile several governors, including Cuomo and the constantly whining Mayor of NYC were still encouraging their citizens to " take the subway, go out to eat, go to a broadway show, everything is good, this virus is no big deal", all the while claiming their healthcare systems and supplies were well prepared.
Also, go back and research DeBlasio on auctioning off 500 ventilators the city healthcare system had long before the virus. I wonder who he sold them to?

Has Trump and the administration made a few mistakes along the way or made a bad decision or two? I think leaders from around the world made a few, including Trump. But he and the administration have in my mind handled this about as well as humanly possible, given the pathetic data and info on this thing they had at the time.

And how the democrats up to even today can continue to blame him for tens of thousands of lives lost and terrible leadership blah blah blah is the saddest and most pathetic thing of all.

This, I think, is the takeaway. There's a significant fog of war element to this -- so much we don't understand.

I certainly hope Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee know what they're doing. I'm not optimistic here in Georgia mostly because our governor is a dolt, but we'll see.

I definitely think that states should build reopening strategies around the aspects of their circumstances. For the states you've listed other than Georgia, the impact of the first wave has been relatively low compared to other states. I think the lower density of areas, lack of travel hubs, car-based transportation, and utility independence (not sharing community elevators, stairs, and laundry equipment) have all contributed to the mostly rural South from being insulated from the worst of the disease. I think those factors will continue to reduce the impact in those areas. With all that said, I still think we need to view these reopening periods as temporary in nature. The minute the numbers start to creep up again (and they will). We'll be right back in stay at home.

A lot of researchers were really hoping to find that hotter temperatures would have an effect on the virus, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Whenever we were hearing a lot of reports about a true summer break from the disease, I'm afraid those reports were based on the hope that this disease would be affected seasonally.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoBigOrange86
I believe it's pretty well documented and clear this thing came from China, either from that lab or from their wet market, or a combination of both. Then you had China, using their puppet WHO and their nondoctor leader claiming it wasn't that bad, no human to human problem etc. All the while in Dec. thru Feb. China was hoarding and buying up all the PPE and Ventilators they could get their hands on. THEY KNEW. PERIOD.

Let's fast forward to Jan. 31 when Trump puts the travel ban in place. The left is screaming mad. Even go back and notice Trump even talked about the virus in his State of the Union.
Feb.-the DNC has two presidential debates in which the virus was not mentioned by the moderators nor any of the candidates. And of course we know what Pelosi was doing on Feb 24th. Meanwhile several governors, including Cuomo and the constantly whining Mayor of NYC were still encouraging their citizens to " take the subway, go out to eat, go to a broadway show, everything is good, this virus is no big deal", all the while claiming their healthcare systems and supplies were well prepared.
Also, go back and research DeBlasio on auctioning off 500 ventilators the city healthcare system had long before the virus. I wonder who he sold them to?

Has Trump and the administration made a few mistakes along the way or made a bad decision or two? I think leaders from around the world made a few, including Trump. But he and the administration have in my mind handled this about as well as humanly possible, given the pathetic data and info on this thing they had at the time.

And how the democrats up to even today can continue to blame him for tens of thousands of lives lost and terrible leadership blah blah blah is the saddest and most pathetic thing of all.
Which is why I said it’s intellectually dishonest. To say Trump should have acted earlier is to ignore all of the facts that you named here and then some

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I’m posting much less recently just because I have no interest in entering these discussions because most of them are firmly entrenched positions based on unquantifiable data or perspectives. Essentially nothing is proven and no ones mind is changed.

That’s not to disparage those who want to engage in it. There is intellectual stimulation to be found for sure, I’m just not in for this round, mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back