Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so, during my first week of furlough from my job of 18 years. I have worked with my brother fabricating and installing granite/marble/ other rock stuff that I don’t even know the name of. That is some hard and heavy back breaking ish. I also worked with my father in law painting...... A freaking hospital in Memphis. I now understand why almost all painters are freaking alcoholics. Can’t wait to get back to my regular job next, never thought I’d ever say that..
Maybe you should write a book...talk about easy!

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I was remembering when I was a small boy in the 1960’s we were living on a farm in rural west Tennessee. I think it was one Saturday, we all piled into the flatbed truck and drove, I guess quite a ways, maybe close to an hour, to a cross roads on the way to my great-grandmother’s place. She had a lot of land out in the middle of nowhere that had been in the family for generations.

Anyway, at the cross roads right before we get to her place there was a filling station. We stopped at the filling station because it turns out that’s where we had been headed all along. I don’t think we went inside, we may have, but I seem to remember some guy comes out to where we’re all standing about and gives us sugar cubes to eat. I was a kid and like most kids I liked candy. It turns out it was the new polio vaccine. I’m thinking that had to be close to the perfect model for drive-thru vaccinations.

I have no idea how we knew we were supposed to go get the vaccinations but then again it was Tennessee. We’re actually more engaged that people give us credit for. It’s like the first time we checkered Neyland. Who the hell would have thought we could pull than off in under two weeks and have everyone on the same page? I love this state. jmo.

Wait, you mean all those sugar cubes I ate when I was a kid was really a polio vaccine? I feel used.

I was remembering when I was a small boy in the 1960’s we were living on a farm in rural west Tennessee. I think it was one Saturday, we all piled into the flatbed truck and drove, I guess quite a ways, maybe close to an hour, to a cross roads on the way to my great-grandmother’s place. She had a lot of land out in the middle of nowhere that had been in the family for generations.

Anyway, at the cross roads right before we get to her place there was a filling station. We stopped at the filling station because it turns out that’s where we had been headed all along. I don’t think we went inside, we may have, but I seem to remember some guy comes out to where we’re all standing about and gives us sugar cubes to eat. I was a kid and like most kids I liked candy. It turns out it was the new polio vaccine. I’m thinking that had to be close to the perfect model for drive-thru vaccinations.

I have no idea how we knew we were supposed to go get the vaccinations but then again it was Tennessee. We’re actually more engaged that people give us credit for. It’s like the first time we checkered Neyland. Who the hell would have thought we could pull than off in under two weeks and have everyone on the same page? I love this state. jmo.

I know how you feel about the state. When I left Nashville to join the Air Force, I assumed I would return to TN when I was done. Forty-two years later, after 20 years in the Air Force and 22 teaching, I'm retiring and coming home. Well, sort of. We're moving to the Knoxville area. It's taken longer than I thought, but we can't wait. Getting misty-eyed just thinking about it. But the economic impact of our response to this virus is threatening to change things.

I know how you feel about the state. When I left Nashville to join the Air Force, I assumed I would return to TN when I was done. Forty-two years later, after 20 years in the Air Force and 22 teaching, I'm retiring and coming home. Well, sort of. We're moving to the Knoxville area. It's taken longer than I thought, but we can't wait. Getting misty-eyed just thinking about it. But the economic impact of our response to this virus is threatening to change things.
God bless you and thank you for your service. If I were still a drinking man, I’d say when all this jazz is over I’ll take you out for a drink. I’d always wanted to live in Knoxville and finally got my chance about 5 years ago and never looked back. I love this place. It just feels like home. Plus living in the Halls/Corryton area just reminds me of where I grew up anyways.

Thank you for your service and welcome back, when you arrive. The virus issues will pass before long.

Have a friend who texted me about a friend who recently was tested due to contact with someone who was positive and tested positive themselves. They are quarantined from their family. Thing is, the guy said he doesn’t even feel sick. Sure a lot of people have it but don’t know it. Mortality numbers aren’t close at 5 percent.

I used to commonly receive my "medication" in sugar cubes as well.

Have a friend who texted me about a friend who recently was tested due to contact with someone who was positive and tested positive themselves. They are quarantined from their family. Thing is, the guy said he doesn’t even feel sick. Sure a lot of people have it but don’t know it. Mortality numbers aren’t close at 5 percent.

It really is nuts how extreme this virus is. From feeling like having a minor cold to having yourself on life support.

Well, I am somewhat disappointed. For a minute there I thought you were going to tell us you went to the crossroads, met the devil, made a deal, and are now a legendary blues guitarist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back